• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Works to be Streamed Simultaneously with Airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
-blink-

Well.. that's... verrrry interestink.

Geez. And I had all these torches and pitchforks all ready for Crunchy Roll and now they make a legit deal like this.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
GDH will make money off it as they're probably gonna get advertising revenue off Youtube etc. which is much more than what they'd get if they allowed fansubbers to do as they please (which is basically nothing).

I also like how it's international, us english speakers outside North America almost never get access to these kind of initiatives.

One thing I'm wondering about is how long the episodes will be up for? Presumably they'll take them down at some point. Will they be up for a week at a time? Or maybe for the entire season?
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Oh my god.......I can't belive this. Fansubs will NEVER be "a thing of the past". It does not matter that we will have english subs on the same day....someone out there will still be unhappy and make his own fansub.

Yeah, but this will cut into fansubs big time. The biggest motivation for fansubbers is "look what we have". It's a huge ego boost to offer a sub of the new hot series before anyone else. Now that's been taken away. There's still the "perfectionist" motivation, but that doesn't have as big an audience. Most people just want to watch their anime now and don't want to wait.

Plus, if done right, this will be heluva lot more convenient than downloading fansubs. The main reason iTunes thrives in a world of pirated music is because it's a lot easier to get what you want, as long as you're willing to pay 99c. If GDH's streaming solution is easier than downloading via BitTorrent, most of the audience will flock to it.

ikillchicken wrote:
Okay...maybe I'm just being thick here but how does this solve anything? How do they actually profit from this? I don't see any sort of mention of ad support or payment from those sites. Maybe they're just not explaining it here but if they don't actually have any way to make money off this it seems like a terrible idea to me.

I wondered about this too, but I think I've figured it out. This is just the first step, taking control of digital distribution away from the fansubbers/pirates.

Once they have an audience, they can experiment with ways to monetize it. Ideas:
-- Incorporate advertising, either in the the show or on the site.
-- Use the site to sell tie-in merchandise.
-- Use the net "ratings" to sell the show to American TV.
-- Offer high-quality downloads of the show for a reasonable price.

But all that's in the future. Before they spend resources on any of those initiatives, they need to prove people will watch.

------RM
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
This is certainly good news, especially the word "worldwide" which doesn't normally apply to legal streaming.

Would like to know what sort of retention times we're talking here - for the week? Forever? I do prefer to download and watch later at my leisure (or, as often happens, download, burn to disc and never ever watch.. but I like to know it is there if I ever want it) and as-it-airs streaming with low retention times would require careful scheduling etc.

It would still be nice for a way to keep a permanent copy of the broadcast version locally for reference, and also to be able to take decent screenshots (which you wouldn't be able to get from youtube) for avvies or blogging purposes etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shouta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
Speaking as a fansubber of 9 years, I find this news absolutely wonderful. It's about time that something like this happened. I hope it succeeds and the industry can begin the correct model it will need to survive and flourish in changing consumer market.

Speaking as the guy that was going to work on the Tower of Druaga fansub, it saves my ass time because now that I won't have to do it. Of course, I still have reservations about this. I see no downloadable model at all which may hamper the success of this endeavor. They really need to offer this to truly hit the mark. Then there's the quality of the sub. I seriously hope they're not going to get some rookie translator and editor for these projects because it would seriously look bad for this.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
Who's to say DVDs (or Blu-Ray) is going anywhere?

Streaming is only cutting out television and video rental really.

This is good because now the production company's only revenue stream will not be coming from DVD sales. Hopefully this will catch on and thus drive down some of the licensing costs for these show and maybe we can get season by season box-sets as we do with American Television shows.

But that is just my speculation, the best thing we as consumers and fans can do is flood these websites and show it can work.

Streaming -> Casual fans, Narutards, people who want to watch it now.

Fee-based Downloads -> Fans more into it who'd prefer to wait a day or two to get a higher quality copy.

DVD -> For the fans who want a definitive collection with good extras and pristine subtitles, video, and sound quality.

Why make money just one way?

I'd pay for a subscription to a streaming or downloading site in much the same way as I would pay for cable or satellite.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
This is certainly good news, especially the word "worldwide" which doesn't normally apply to legal streaming.

Would like to know what sort of retention times we're talking here - for the week? Forever? I do prefer to download and watch later at my leisure (or, as often happens, download, burn to disc and never ever watch.. but I like to know it is there if I ever want it) and as-it-airs streaming with low retention times would require careful scheduling etc.

It would still be nice for a way to keep a permanent copy of the broadcast version locally for reference, and also to be able to take decent screenshots (which you wouldn't be able to get from youtube) for avvies or blogging purposes etc.

Well if they don't offer downloads I would think the episodes will be kept up at least for a few days much in the same way the TV networks are doing right now. Episodes of a show will be put up for a while and then cycled out as new ones are aired ,may not be a good as being able to download but does give us a way to preview a show so we can diside if we want to buy it when and if it gets licensed.
crilix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
crilix wrote:
I honestly wonder if there's place for American licensing companies after this, apart from some production involvement (dubs, if at all).
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I'm definitely interested in how this will turn out, but I'm not sure if I can be happy if this could also mean the demise of R1 licensors and dub studios.
I can't speak for everyone else, but *I* will still want to own my favorite shows on shiny discs.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. Now that media regions are changing with the advent of Blu-ray, I seriously doubt "licensing" Japanese shows would be an issue for the original copyright holders. They could simply contract the Americans to produce the discs; sub them, dub them, maybe even print and distribute them. This would not only save them a ton of cash, since domestic Japanese print costs are quite high, they would be able to profit from the North American BD market directly. Logically, the American middlemen will be pulling the short straw if this scenario plays out. Production aspects may stay in the U.S., but as far as cashing in on the licence is concerned, it may not happen anymore.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
I feel like I'd be a lot more ecstatic about this news if it wasn't for the fact that Crunchyroll was involved. Considering that I'm looking at their anime index right now and seeing any number of licensed series/movies (seriously...End of Eva? Nausicaa? Paprika? Just...what the hell), the only deal I'd like to see them making is one with the devil to haul their asses out of the fire. (Yeah, let's go through the bother of putting up a "please remove" tag while doing nothing of the sort. You're winner, indeed.) But maybe that's just me. On the other hand, the idea of something like this finally appearing on YouTube is rather exciting (even if the shows have to be GONZO's work...). I'd not heard of this BOST site before now, but I'm assuming that they're some sort of legitimized service.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
The stubborness has finally been subsided.

My question is now..there are programs that can allow people to download videos from youtube. I wonder how they'll be able to deal with that sort of thing, though.

But considering how everyone has stated they hate Gonzo, I really don't know if this is a good or bad thing.

I've heard of Bost. I believe they were the first site that started the streaming anime service.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
TJM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I feel like I'd be a lot more ecstatic about this news if it wasn't for the fact that Crunchyroll was involved.

Yup

all you said is true and plus just look at their userbase, check out the forums you'll see what i mean.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
"Hey, we're sick of you stealing our stuff. So we're gonna give it to you for free!"
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
Wow! This is what alot of fans have been hoping for, and its great to see the industry start to turn in this direction. I think they'll also be able to increase revenue this way too, with ads on the sites, added to dvd revenues.

Last edited by posterior_praiser on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
Given the titles involved, does anyone else think this sounds more like an experiment than a full-blown commitment? After all, would either of these shows be classified as "highly anticipated" by fans outside of Japan? This could just be a move by GDH to see if they can boost the popularity of a couple of marginal series while at the same time testing the simultaneous-release market, so I'll be more believing that it's a trend when I see a top-name title get treated the same way.

This is at least part of what fans have been clamoring for over the past couple of years, though. Now they need to show that GDH isn't wasting their time and effort by actually using what's been provided. (Anime fandom is, unfortunately, rather notorious for making a big hubbub over a title online and then not financially supporting it when it matters.) I will be very interested indeed to see what the viewership numbers look like on this (especially past the first couple of episodes).

Will it mean a total revamp/departure of the R1 scene? I seriously doubt it. Remember, a sizable majority of the people who actually buy R1 DVDs don't download stuff anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
"Hey, we're sick of you stealing our stuff. So we're gonna give it to you for free!"

Why not? In the end they'll probably make more money off the ad revenue than they would if they hadn't taken that step and gotten no money at all. Its a smarter direction than they were taking before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9