• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-04-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
Prinnydood wrote:
I loved Escaflowne, and I don't have a problem with the ending.

Gainax has had several poor endings. Kare Kano and Evangelion were both disappointing. However, their most aggravating ending has to be Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful. The series closed each episode with a countdown on how many days the main character had left to live, so it's not like I expected a 'happy together' ending, but the entire final episode felt as if it had been taken from a different series.

The ending to Mahoro was definitely weird, but I still liked it. I remember going to work the next day still feeling really sad about the ending to that show.
Kare Kano, as much as I love it, I have to say it had one of the worst endings. And it's not even that the last episode was really horrible, it just was not a good way to end the series. And not only that, but the last ten episodes or so of the series started off with fifteen minute recaps of what had happened previously. Why does someone need a fifteen minute recap of what happened in a romantic comedy anime?
I'm one of the few people who likes both endings of Evangelion, especially the movie ending. But I'm also the type of hardcore Eva fan that will lap up anything that Anno throws at us (except for the Angelic Days manga. I refuse to read that)
Also, I'm going to have to say that I thought Escaflowne had one of the BEST anime endings I've seen. It tied everything up quite nicely, plus, it turns me into a weepy ball of mush everytime.
And I vote Battle Athletes Victory as having the most bizarre ending I've ever seen. Episode 25 wraps everything up nicely, and you're thinking, 'oh, I thought this was a 26 episode series' and then spoiler[there's a big explosion, some aliens show up, and challenge the girls to an athletic competition, with the Earth being the prize. Oh yeah, and they bring Akari's dead mom back to life]
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
His and Her Circumstances didn't have a bad ending. It didn't have an ending at all. It just STOPPED. I loved the show, but that saddened me. Sad
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:09 am Reply with quote
It's unoriginal to say this, but the ending of Eva really did little to explain what was happening.
Then EoE comes along, gives the viewer an intense and profusely apocalyptic on-screen experience, and concludes the series in such a way that looking for the optimistic aspects of the spoiler[post-instrumentality] world is akin to using your forehead to squeeze a lemon:
There is something positive to obtain, but extracting it is going to hurt you.

Howl's Moving Castle gets my vote however. The family values sugaring the ending just annoyed me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
I personally think that it has one of the BEST endings, but I'm also aware that there are many people who think it has the absolutely WORST ending, and that anime is Princess Tutu.

I think (perhaps aside from Eva) it has the most polarized opinion of an anime ending I know. People only absolutely love it (me) or absolutely hate it (a not so small minority).
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I think (perhaps aside from Eva) it has the most polarized opinion of an anime ending I know. People only absolutely love it (me) or absolutely hate it (a not so small minority).

I think that's a good thing actually. Better than pissing everyone off anyway. It's so hard to appeal all parties, I'm glad they had the balls to just belly flop into wherever they were going. Same for the movie.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I got published. <3

To be honest...I don't think animecomedies is better or worse than american comedies, but you have to admit...some US cartoons are really WTF material. I'm pretty sure I can find an anime which gives me the same feeling.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Second worst ever ending for me has to be "Vision of Escaflowné".

While I wouldn't call it worst ever, I am glad to see I am not the only one irritated with that ending.

The ending that angered me the most was because of a non-ending. Tenjho Tenge had me thinking my DVD had skipped the next episode! An to make matters worse, Geneon licenses the OVA that gives it some closure, gets it dubbed, then never releases it, only airing on Canadian TV! ARGGGH! Evil or Very Mad

Try writing a letter to Geneon telling them that this is one of the reasons that fansubs still circulate! Of course, that's assuming that they read their mail.....
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I personally think that it has one of the BEST endings, but I'm also aware that there are many people who think it has the absolutely WORST ending, and that anime is Princess Tutu.

Whaaaa? Wow, I'm surprised to hear that anyone would hate Princess Tutu's ending. I thought it was fantastic and very satisfying. Damnit, I was supposed to get that boxset for my birthday, but didn't... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ruro niko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I do have a question regarding the writing articles piece. My college feature writing class requires submission of our stories to publications, be it in print or web or what have you. Not necessarily get them printed, just submit them for the publications to consider them and show proof, like an email reply. I've had no luck submitting a story on anime clubs moving to a more social nature than actually watching anime.

Here's the question. For stories we've already written, what's the best way to send them in that is likely to get a reply. Not necessarily a reply saying they're interested in the story, just a reply saying one way or the other, maybe a why or why not but not necessarily. Would one have to send the entire article along with the request, or just maybe a front page or a summary? I would be hesitant in sending the entire article unless it's wanted, but it that's necessary to get a response, I guess I'll have to rethink that.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
;__; that guinea pig is so cute...

How weird...my guinea pig is named after a fruit too...but..why apples?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
;__; that guinea pig is so cute...

How weird...my guinea pig is named after a fruit too...but..why apples?

Er, oddly enough, that's from a bit standup comedian Patton Oswalt does about gay pride parades for the mentally challenged.

"We're here! We're queer!

...APPLES"

It's hilarious if completely inappropriate. My friend and his wife (and I) are big fans of Oswalt.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I had kinda assumed it was just because he likes to eat apples.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Wow. I had kinda assumed it was just because he likes to eat apples.

This is also part of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4