• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Mysterious Plays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trandraskell

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I got my Aquarion thru rightstuf when the funimation sale was and got it for like 31.79 with all the discounts that i have. I do not understand why people complain about prices. Okay first off order from places like rightstuf or Roberts Anime Corner or get at best buy. I never have payed full price for any of my anime collection and believe me i have over 800 dvd's and have been collecting for years. I work my order to get the best discounts. If that means waiting a few months until the next sale.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Where, pray tell, did you find such a good deal?

Right Stuff

Pre-order is about $20, plus if one has the Got Anime discount, they offer a monthly special-like $7 off an order of $97 or more, plus one gets 10% off with the discount on top of that. Put the order together right, so one gets at least $1 off per dvd, plus the 10%.
It's how I'm getting Super Robot Wars for $32-$33 per dvd
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
outlawwolf wrote:
Every time I look at these collections I get insanely jealous and think "Why not me!!!???" but then I remember that there is absolutely no bringing any girls into a room like that without killing any and all chances you may have had. And before any female otaku here speak up saying they would love it, I mean attractive girls, and unfortunately, the majority of otaku girls are on the other side of that bar.

Not everyone can be as ridiculously attractive and studly as you. I heard this one story where you made like, 100 girls faint, just by walking into an anime convention!
Allegedly it wasn't because of visual overwhelming, but more overwhelming of one of the other basic senses, allegedly. Wink

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. One man's goddess, is another man's goat, and visa-versa for women. Just remember what the Bible says about vanity. "Beauty is fleeting, and charm is deceptive." Wink
Nei

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
A few more Haruka points:

I've been puzzled about Bandai's treatment of this title too. As someone else mentioned, starting with two episodes instead of frontloading the first vol. to draw in viewers is odd. Otoh, I suppose this will earn more money from the title if folks actually buy it, but a big gamble if the first two eps don't hook you hard. And I can't stress enough how freaky it is that you can only get the title at anime specialty stores. Maybe they thought only more intense anime fans would be interested in it, but still.... I expect anime companies to start trying different ways to make DVDs more profitable. I'm just not convinced this is the way to go. I think the idea of box sets from get-go (a la Blood+) would work better.

Also, as someone else alluded to, the price for the remaining discs are not unusually high. It's still $29 full retail.

Thanks for the heads up on RentAnime.

Nei
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense though when you look at how titles tend to be released in Japan and how they've typically released other titles. For whatever bizarre reason, it seems like they tend to do the low episode discs first.
ilkz

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I was looking forward to get Aquarion DVD a while. It has some descent mecha style but since the shelf review said it attempt to cover every genre, I am kind worried. Its a common knowledge that any show had more than 2 genre will most likely to fail.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Look at Geneon's sub-only release of CardCaptor Sakura--4 eps per dvd for the most part, although we got 3 on a couple dvds. I remember having to drive all over town in the day just to find it.

Don't forget with the wonders of anime in your local Walmart come the negatives of returned discs. A lot of these stores hold the right to return excess product & then one has to deal with that. Rather than gamble someone wants to buy Haruka at a Best Buy in Rialto, California (if they have a Best Buy) & face the return in the future, they put their product into places fans know to go look for it. They know up front these titles do not have the mass appeal of Bleach or Naruto. They know they will sell less than half(maybe less than a quarter) as many dvds as Viz sells of those 2 titles.
Why increase their costs shipping dvds to a location where they will only have to eat the return?
Most people who are interested in these titles are likely aware of online stores to buy them at. Why bother with Best Buy?
Do you expect to find an incredible cut of meat at your local grocer store, or will you likely get that superb prime rib steak from a butcher shop?
Do you expect an incredible dining experience from Denny's or some very expensive restaurant with a reservations only list to get in?
chicogrande

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Ugh,

I'm going to have to wait and see what MediaBlasters does with KujiUn and the Genshiken OVA in the near future. I had no problem purchasing Genshiken with KujiUn on the background, but now I can't purchase it for the sake of the Genshiken OVA considering that it's one episode per KujiUn volume. I'll just have to wait and see. Sad
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Do you expect to find an incredible cut of meat at your local grocer store, or will you likely get that superb prime rib steak from a butcher shop?

Beef is a little different, you can have a cut once, at a fancy reception or banquet, be infatuated, and set the price you are willing to pay.

Anime that has that effect based on one episode is very rare. I thought the first episode of Coyote Ragtime Show was awesome! I blindly purchased.
Once I had all three discs, I realized I now own a series that provokes visceral negative reactions in me (I hate to call someone's effort trash, but that one made me want to).

As opposed to the various first episodes of series I rented via Netflix, was not blown away by, but by the end cherished, and found worthy of my money (Kino's Journey, Saikano, Princess Tutu, Full Metal Panic, Samurai 7, KashiMashi, Now and Then, Here and There, Kiddy Grade).

I have taken several blind purchase chances on most of Media Blaster's sub only releases, because the price was cheap, and the episode count was high. I have not been disappointed in any of them so far (I am dying waiting for the rest of Simoun to hurry up and get out).

BVU's pricing makes sense for Japan, it was on the air there, and people could make an informed purchasing decision.

Do they assume we all have no regard for copyright and have seen the fansubs? I just cant see myself making a $6 to $10 per episode decision on a 26 or 13 episode anime based off of one streamed episode.

At the very least, they should be making sure that their product gets into the big rental channels like Blockbuster and Netflix. The Gunbusters are the only two BVU titles I own, and I rented them first, was blown away, and had absolutely no problem paying their price.

I just dont see that happening with Haruka, True Tears, Shigofumi, etc. I might be shortchanging those series, because so much anime "gets better", but I can not make the call, lest I end up with something I resent even more than Coyote Ragtime Show.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I have a question about Kujibiki Unbalance. Is there an English dub? Also, great review none the less.

Because I might check out this series via Netflix if so. Also, I had wanted to say this earlier. Great job with the review Bamboo Dong, I haven't enjoyed a review like this since you reviewed Shuffle.

Thank you to whoever is able to answer my quetion.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I have a question about Kujibiki Unbalance. Is there an English dub? Also, great review none the less.

Because I might check out this series via Netflix if so. Also, I had wanted to say this earlier. Great job with the review Bamboo Dong, I haven't enjoyed a review like this since you reviewed Shuffle.

Yes, there is a dub.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Yes, there is a dub.

Thank you for answering me. I am sorry if I took to much of your time. But I must say again, you did a fantastic review this week. Though the review with Shuffle was interesting as well.

Thank you again.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

Do they assume we all have no regard for copyright and have seen the fansubs? I just can't see myself making a $6 to $10 per episode decision on a 26 or 13 episode anime based off of one streamed episode.

At the very least, they should be making sure that their product gets into the big rental channels like Blockbuster and Netflix. The Gunbusters are the only two BVU titles I own, and I rented them first, was blown away, and had absolutely no problem paying their price.

I just don't see that happening with Haruka, True Tears, Shigofumi, etc. I might be shortchanging those series, because so much anime "gets better", but I can not make the call, lest I end up with something I resent even more than Coyote Ragtime Show.

They may assume everyone in America downloads. Some of us don't.
So you need to be aware of your own tastes. VERY aware of your own tastes. I tend to pre-order a lot of releases to get a good price. Hell, with BV, it seems ot be the only way as I have yet to see BV product on sale, nor have I seen them box anything yet. Based on their current pricing policy, I have to assume the version released first is the one they're sticking with (single dvds vs boxed sets) & with no sales at any site, my best bet is to go for that pre-order price plus all the store discounts I can put together. Taking that into consideration, I CAN'T wait to view an ep or 3--if I wait, I'll pay much more (the 25% Right Stuff discounts pre-orders. With their 10% Got Anime & additional discounts, I can get it down to about 35% off)
I love Go Nagai & we don't have a hell of a lot of his product out over here, so I was willing to gamble $33 per pop on the excellent Demon Prince Enma. We actually debated with a friend at Comic-con about leaving because we were tired & my daughter & the friend watched Enma at my place rather than stay at the convention center(the winning argument? I had both dvd, not just a single ep & yeah, they watched both). Everyone my teen has played Enma for that likes horror has been impressed with Enma.

Do we not decide to watch some movies based on the actor? "Oh, DeNiro's in that one, I'll watch it." I've been eyeballing Super Robot Wars & Haruka for well over a year-long before BV announced the licenses, hoping someone would pick them up. SRW everyone said was impossible because of copyright issues. Haruka I was hoping Geneon would pick up since they were the ones bringing us shojo harem titles, but Geneon abandoned us. The casts for both titles are awesome. Ryotaro Okiayu & Shinichiro Miki are in both. SRW has Toshiyuki Morikawa, Takehito Koyasu, Hikaru Midorikawa, Kappei Yamaguchi & Norio Wakamoto just off the top of my head-all strand out, impressive VA's. Haruka has a bunch of the shojo standards-Kazuhiko Inoue, Soichiro Hoshi, Kouki Miyata, Tomokazu Seki, Akira Ishida-guys the use in shojo (yaoi) anime & drama cds all the time. Most of these guys can knock out killer performances in their sleep. It was interesting on the Area 88 extras, the director was really impressed that the pro's came in & often knocked out the lines in one take even with all the technical jargon they had to throw around, while the newbs had numerous flubs. This is why they're pro's. They're GOOD at what they do. They bring these characters to life wonderfully, effortlessly it seems.
I have yet to come across a project as packed with the number of name VA's these 2 titles have that I haven't enjoyed. I have to keep going back to read the subtitles because I get caught up listening to the cadence of the voices playing against one another & suddenly realize I have no idea what's going on. It's like listening to music & getting caught up in the sound so one forgets to listen to the words.
Come on. THe audience for SRW wants to see Giant robots fighting. Stuff exploding. SRW actually has an interesting plot I'm enjoying far more than I expected. I'm usuallyu glazed over by now on the average Gundam title (the politics of Gundam tend to drive me crazy in their simplicity. "What if we gave a war & nobody came?" 60's stuff I grew up with. Bishies. I watch for hot bishies). THe audience for Haruka is looking for hot bishies that look good. Most of the hate for Haruka seems to come from the Watase fan base that see it as a rip-off of their beloved Fushigi Yugi, but Fushigi Yugi wasn't original. The idea of a lead protected by guardians-Royalty have the Palace Guard, Presidents have Secret Service, spies protect this or that. The Hakkenden had the 7 or 8 warrior thing & it a few centuries old. Isn't it possible Haruka is drawing on the same sources as Fushigi Yugi? One can assume most shonen titles are influenced by DBZ & Fist of the North Star, but I see a lot of Saint Seiya in Bleach. I see less Fushigi Yugi in Haruka as I see other titles. I really don't see much FY in it (& I do have the FY TV series & OVA's on dvd) so I find all this screaming about FY to be a bit of a stretch. I see Hakkenden (beads, for one. I believe both involve 8 guardians also). I see Fruits Basket (though the titles are almost concurrent). I see Vampire Princess Miyu. I don't really see FY or Escaflowne.
Arakis
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

SRW everyone said was impossible because of copyright issues.

It's been my experience that when SRW and the "impossible copyright" issues come up, they refer to the non-OG parts of the franchise. SRW has traditionally been based on the idea of combining numerous super robot (i.e. Mazinger Z) and real robot (i.e. Gundam) shows into one huge fanfic of a strategy game. Then Banpresto will throw in a handful of original characters and mechs, and create a central story that serves as a spinal cord of sorts to tie all the otherwise unrelated franchises together. As quite a few SRW games have been produced now, there's a large enough pool of Banpresto original characters and mechs that now entire games (OG/OGS) and anime/manga series (Divine Wars, etc.) can be made based on them. So I doubt Atlus or BV had many copyright hoops to jump through bringing over the OG incarnations. What many fans really want to see are the non-OG games (i.e. the Alpha series) localized professionally, but as every company who owns a franchise in said games might want a piece of that pie, the licensing fees would probably be daunting at the least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Every time I look at these collections I get insanely jealous and think "Why not me!!!???" but then I remember that there is absolutely no bringing any girls into a room like that without killing any and all chances you may have had. And before any female otaku here speak up saying they would love it, I mean attractive girls, and unfortunately, the majority of otaku girls are on the other side of that bar.

o_o what in the world are you smoking?

Nevermind...I don't want to know, but you must be living under a rock.

I personally wouldn't mind any guy having a collection like that. And I could care less, either.

x.x Ironically, I just got my own bookshelf and I added my items today. Though It'll probably never be as good as the ones who are featured in the articles...This is just a small start. I don't have a huge room to add more items yet. Not to mention that this isn't necessarily my house so...I can't be just placing things where I please, but...*cough*

insignificant gratification

*frowns.* I'm attractive...I think...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5