• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation licenses Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:03 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
FMA doesn't seem like it would have much appeal to the preteen set. You'd think that Cartoon Network would have learned its lesson after Rouroni Kenshin, that you can't really turn a more mature anime into something the kiddies will like. (^_*)

Rurouni Kenshin wasn't a "mature anime" (^_*). It's target audience was older boys and teens. (^_*). Just because it has blood and death doesn't make it "mature anime" for adults. (^_*)
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:07 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
But us Americans must read it like how it's spelt. In the English language "pin" does not make an "pan" sound, so it makes sense that the dub pronouces it like "pin."

Sorry to continue the off-topicness, but I thought that they did pronounce it as 'Lupahn' on the dub. However, it has been awhile since I've seen/heard it and I have the Lupin Sideburn Remix CD, which with how often I listen to it, my memory on pronouncation could be corrupted... Confused
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinly happy about this.

And as for importing... so what? Shows aren't made and translated officially and what not from good feelings and wishes, you know.

I've had it. Time to stop reading threads based on license announcements. It just annoys me.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:24 am Reply with quote
Shorty22 wrote:
but I thought that they did pronounce it as 'Lupahn' on the dub.

Yup. At least in Pioneer's & Manga Ent.'s dubs (the only ones I've heard thus far), they still pronounce Lupin's name as "Lupahn."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quote
I thought you called him Wolf.
Zack26
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
It's no suprise that the manga would follow shortly after. because seeing as TW (ToriyamaWorld), does things at a sucky snail pace type of release. They might as well seize the FMA manga as well.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:12 am Reply with quote
Zack26 wrote:
because seeing as TW (ToriyamaWorld), does things at a sucky snail pace type of release. They might as well seize the FMA manga as well.

What's that have to do with the title being licensed?

But yeah, the manga can't be too far behind. If the manga companies weren't intrested in it before, they will be now that it'll have a videogame, as well as a tv series out here. I really can't even begin to guess who will get the manga. No companies here have really licensed any Gangan manga yet.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:31 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
redbeangirl wrote:
Definately not kids' stuff, to be sure.

Even though it runs in an afternoon children's timeslot in Japan. Right.

You know, I don't think I've ever been on the defending end of this argument...

FA is in the same boat as Kenshin is, the whole "teen/older teen" braket based on pretty much the same marets of graphic violence (and dare I say FA is somewhat more disturbing visually), and complexity. Yeah, they show it at 6pm over in Japan, opposite of such shows as Hamtaro and Transformers, but it's a totally different type of show, much more mature (in the "higher level" sence of the word, not to say it's directed towards adults only).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GreatSaiyaman777

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:11 am Reply with quote
Yes, FMA would be perfect for CN.

I'm sure the fact that the main character is an avowed atheist won't be any problem for them.

I'm sure that speech to the religious girl in which he's highly mocking of her won't be changed into some other jibberish in an edited daytime release either.

I'm sure that the events of the first two episodes, which could easily be interpreted as an condemnation of Christian faith by easily offended people, of which our country has VIRTUALLY NONE OF, won't be any problem for them.

I'm sure the fake priests, inaminate objects being brought to life through strange powers, and that whole giant cathedral getting crashed and destroyed thing will be just fine too since we know how much CN likes to deal with religious elements, particularly those which are crucial to the main plot of the story.

I'm also sure that that one crazed, cannibalistic villain who eats people left and right will be fine too.

And so will the transvestite serial killer. Not to mention the bizarre "experiments." Or people playing "God" with people's souls and dead bodies.

Or that whole thing with the country of Ishbala which is highly symoblic and parallele to the current events in Iraq and how it sympathizes with the people of Ishbala I'm sure wouldn't offend anybody in America since we're all known for our open views. Or the surviving Ishbala man who murders high officers of the military and is a hero to his people avenging them, and is depicted in a positive light, won't draw any "traitor" or "git out" comments from the Right Wing, since of course FMA will require virtually no censorship of any significane since it's already such a kiddy anime.

And the events of episode 21 will be just GREAT for Cartoon Network too! They'll need a LOT of paintbrushing and cutting to deal with that one "interestingly designed" monster who may or may not have half of a naked human absorbed into his back via a twisted experiment and living and in control of the entire deformed body but man, aside from that that episode felt JUST Power Rangers- totally kiddy! Childish kid's stuff! And episodes 6/7ish will be perfect too! I'm telling ya, the kiddies will flock to this like it's DBZ all over again!

Aye, despite the fact that Ruroni Kenshin was edited and slapped in the middle of CN Toonami daytime, and had high ratings that seemed fine at first, but was latter pulled because the audience watching was of an OLDER AGE THAN WHAT THE ADVERTISERS WERE LOOKING FOR (cough, cough, maybe that's because it's a more MATURE anime than most of their shows)... and that ALL OF THIS was admitted to in an interview with an executive from Cartoon Network who also said that he REGRETTED not putting Ruroni Kenshin on Adult Swim because it WAS MORE MATURE which is why OLDER people watched it more and YOUNGER people didn't watch it much... and despite the fact that most fans who have seen the series will agree that Full Metal Alchemist is much MORE mature in content as a series and in content than Ruroni Kenshin.... Full Metal Alchemist would most definitely succeed in the EXACT SAME timeslot where Ruroni Kenshin FAILED under similar circumstances, because as we all know history has a habit of NEVER repeating itself because people ALWAYS have a strong habit of learing from their PAST MISTAKES.

Full Metal Alchemist will definitely be a perfect fit for Toonami just like a glove because hey, it's just such a childish, easily censorable kiddy show that's non-mature whatsoever and can easily be watched and enjoyed and be inoffensive to children of all ages with little thought process that it should NEVER be put in anywhere in a mature timeslot or on a more mature channel and you'd have to be crazy as a loon to think otherwise. GO EDITED TOONAMI DUB OF FULL METAL ALCHEMIST! Rolling Eyes
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:27 am Reply with quote
GreatSaiyaman777 wrote:

Yes Asaqe, it certainly would. You DO realise that Toonami was moved to Saturday, presumably heading towards a more teenage-aimed slant, right? Or have the last three or so months just gone right past your little snakepit without you knowing?

Now I thought you jackasses were on a crusade against 4Kids, not FUNimation. Or has your idiocy spread to encompass them, as well?

Get out. Nobody wants you here. Go back to your DBZOA hole in the ground where people actually care to hear your demented ramblings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:40 am Reply with quote
Are you finished? Rolling Eyes

As of right now Cartoon Network hasn't said a word on the subject, neither has FUNimation. You're getting yourself all worked up over a nonissue. If you don't like the way it's handled on TV then buy the DVDs because I can guarentee you that they'll be available uncut, subbed, and sold at Target for cheap. Square-Enix isn't moving with this so rapidly because they want to do everything they can to drive the series into the ground, they want to mirror the success it has found in Japan. No mater what the past track record is with either CN or FUNi, it's ultimatly S-E who gets the final say or they'll take their business somewhere else. If S-E says it need to be shown on Adult Swim then that's where it'll go, if they say it's all right to reduce the content to a Toonami level then so be it. If things don't go the way you want it, don't be mad at Cartoon Network or FUNimation, be mad at Square-Enix for any misshandling that may or MAY NOT come of this.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GreatSaiyaman777

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:35 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
GreatSaiyaman777 wrote:

Yes Asaqe, it certainly would. You DO realise that Toonami was moved to Saturday, presumably heading towards a more teenage-aimed slant, right? Or have the last three or so months just gone right past your little snakepit without you knowing?

Now I thought you jackasses were on a crusade against 4Kids, not FUNimation. Or has your idiocy spread to encompass them, as well?

Get out. Nobody wants you here. Go back to your DBZOA hole in the ground where people actually care to hear your demented ramblings.

First of all my name is not Asaque. Nor do I run around devoting whole topics on these forums to disliking 4Kids and Funimation and telling others to join me. Sure, I may do that at the site I work for, but not over here where I've only got a post count of about one per month in a handful of assorted topics. Thus you seem to be overexaggerating a tad bit on the comparison.

It's fine that you may like some of the companies I don't like, and it's fine that I may dislike some of the companies you dislike, just as long as things are kept civil in the boards.

As for Toonami, well, I don't watch it much anymore for a variety of the reasons, but in any case I was referring to the time slot which it once encompassed.

As for the "snakepit hole in the ground" site I work for as you so enthusiastically phrased it, it was first created for fans interested in expressing their discontent with Funimation and their dubbing of DBZ, and recently it's moved to encompass 4Kids as well, NOT vice versa. Much like how I was uncertain of Toonami's current status, you were also uncertain of the Dbzoa's present and past status. If you're going to make statements like that then you owe it to yourself to familiarize yourself a bit with what you're talking about so that those statements won't prove to be wrong ones. (past articles, interviews, news, misc., editorials etc., you'll see, mainly the older ones from 2000 and 2001)

In any case, my main objections to Funimation obtaining this series lie mainly in the strong possibility of it being dumped on Toonami and the severe amount of editing they'd need to do to accomplish that. FMA may have topnotch ratings in Japan, but that don't make it a kiddy anime and it doesn't mean it should be a kiddy anime.

Don't forget, in Japan animes are actually shown on regular channels in regular times between live-action stuff like sitcoms, whereas here it's treated a special class novelty. Aka like, "I Love Raymond" comes on then some anime comes on. Adults also watch animes in Japan quite frequently... meaning that a LOT of the audience in Japan composes OLDER people who also watch stuff. Heck, Masako Nozawa (va for Goku) once talked about a 67 year old business executive who watched DB/Z/GT religiously in an interview once to give you an idea of the differing atmosphere there. Thus, certain animes are designed and created with the intention of appealing to that existing older demographic... some of which are now being brought over here but aimed at different audiences than originally intended. Perhaps certain dubbing companies should strive to create that atmosphere more (ie, increase the TOTAL anime fanbase) rather than competing over each other for the exact same time slots on the exact same channels. (ie, competing over the exact SAME anime fanbase rather than trying to expand it and increase the size of the pie. That way- there's more pie to share. You know, be innovative, like putting Blue Gender on the sci-fi channel instead of AS when it's more "sci-fi-ish" than "anime-ish" so to speak anyway)

Anyway, I have a question for you Nagisa- have you actually seen Full Metal Alchemist the anime? And if so, how much of it have you watched and what is your opinion about the show? And assuming that you've seen enough of it to know the series indepth about it to make a broad statement about it (at least 18-20 episodes), why do you think that an edited daytime dub directed towards a children's audience would be the best decision for it?

And to the other guy, thanks for the info on Square-Enix. Hopefully they'll be more sensible than Cartoon Network or anyone else who wants to try and pull another Ruroni Kenshin on a show that's even LESS appealing to kiddy audiences than Ruroni and more mature and thus MORE appealing (or equally appealing) to the same type of fanbase that Cartoon Network ultimately rejected as being too old for them and their advertisers for that specific time slot.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:45 am Reply with quote
*Playing FFXI on the PC, the looks back into this thread* Are you done yet? Or can I go back to playing with my Mithra?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:24 am Reply with quote
There's one other point I forgot to make. The language these people who are so convinced that FMA is for adults use to describe the show tickles me, since it's always such an overstatement, a 'dark' way of painting a show that handles themes of death and genocide with kid gloves. Just like the countless other children's shows that do the same thing.

Just imagine me saying this in a really panicky voice:

Oh my god! Can you believe they're going to show this show from Japan on KidsWB that's so obviously for ADULTS? I mean, the main character's very SOUL is POSSESSED by a dark spirit of a PAGAN GOD from a culture that WORSHIPPED DEATH! The very thing he uses to CHANNEL THE UNDEAD SPIRITS is a TOMB that hangs around his neck! I mean, this show is obviously supposed to be for adults! He can also SUMMON FORTH women with HUGE BREASTS who wear skimpy clothing! How will the cartoon network NAZI CENSORS handle THAT, huh?
In the movie version, the hero (POSSESSED STILL BY THE GOD OF DEATH) fights the LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD from that ancient civilization that, need I say it again, WORSHIPPED DEATH!

Of course, I'm talking about Yu Gi Oh. A show that's mostly about trading cards.
Naiomi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:45 am Reply with quote
Actually, it's about games, not trading cards.

If you've seen the first unaired season of it, you'll see there are other things than PAGAN GODS. Like guns and drugs. If you've read Shounen-Jump, you'll see what the first season was like.

An what I'm really pissed off about it that FUNimation licensed it, and it's being ported to CN. In the process, they'll probably edit out most of the Blood, like they did DBZ.

~Spoilor alert~

This would ruin most of the story line and the overall quality of the anime. I mean, Izumi-sensei coughs up what? Blood. After the editing, what will come up? How will the outline of the Linda chimira be seen? What about when Ed's leg get's hacked off?

There are so many things that would have to be changed for it to air, that it's sort of unrealistic for FUNimation to try to port it to TV, unless they slap a PG-13 rating on it, whould upset the parents of those little kids who watch DBZ every day. (not that everyone who watches DBZ is a little kid, but alot of younger children do watch it.)

As long as they release a unedited, uncut Japanese with English Subtitles DVD, I'll be satisfied, but if not, let's organize a protest at their headquarters!!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8