• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Stream It Again, Sam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
Fifth B wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

On the pirate side... well I just found this lurking around..really people?

BAHAHA! Pure quality. At least they used characters from a series by the same creators. I would have laughed even harder if they had used the cast of Black Lagoon or something. Out of curiosity, where did you come across this lovely specimen of hilarity?

As for this Kickstarter thing, I like where this is going. Depending on what you get, you can count on my support!

I thought that was Nagisa on the front! Mind you I haven't watched Clannad for a few years (and have never seen Kanon) but the characters for those series must look super similar.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
Haven't made it to the big announcement yet, but I did have one nitpick early on:

Since when is "telecine" pronounced tele-sine? I've always heard it as tele-sinny.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Haven't made it to the big announcement yet, but I did have one nitpick early on:

Since when is "telecine" pronounced tele-sine? I've always heard it as tele-sinny.

Hmm... Probably because I've been mispronoucing it all this time?
I learned from books/reading so I have no idea how people usually pronounce it in english. In Japanese it's pronounced "te re shi ne"

It obviously comes from "Television + Cinema"... but just taking the world as written "tele sine" would be the more natural pronunciation, no? Not like it particularly matters.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
Seconding those requests for Rose of Versailles. I'm definitely one of those girls who'd love to get her hands on some classic shojo.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
invalidname wrote:

Hmm... Probably because I've been mispronoucing it all this time?
I learned from books/reading so I have no idea how people usually pronounce it in english. In Japanese it's pronounced "te re shi ne"

I looked it up, and Merriam-Webster and Harper Collins has it as tele-sinny. Merriam-Webster has tele-sigh as an alternate pronunctiation.

Quote:
It obviously comes from "Television + Cinema"... but just taking the world as written "tele sine" would be the more natural pronunciation, no? Not like it particularly matters.

Not particularly. An engineer would say that three syllables is more efficient.

neocloud9 wrote:
Seconding those requests for Rose of Versailles. I'm definitely one of those girls who'd love to get her hands on some classic shojo.

Ooh, that and LotGH are the top two on my list.

Last edited by agila61 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Just thought of simple question for Sam Pinansky that unfortunately was never asked.

Why don't you translate the lyrics to the beginning and ending themes?

I guess the answer would have something to do with the song rights but if they get translated for DVD releases I just don't understand why some arrangement can't be made for the streams as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Just thought of simple question for Sam Pinansky that unfortunately was never asked.

I guess the answer would have something to do with the song rights but if they get translated for DVD releases I just don't understand why some arrangement can't be made for the streams as well.

It probably wasn't asked because its been answered before. The song translations take more time (and probably more money) to be approved, since it requires getting involved with the music companies. The short time windows for translating simulcasts make it extremely difficult to do. Home video releases obviously have much, much more time to take care of that kind of thing.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Yes, that's basically right. Song rights and lyrics have to get approved from the music production company, like avec or lantis or sony...

This is extra work for the Japanese company that is doing the international rights, and often times it's actually impossible to get lyrics approved in time. Why? Because there's no one assigned to international approvals within the music company before the CD is released in Japan. And CDs of opening and endings often come out a month or two AFTER the anime starts.

So, the streaming companies ask for approval, and are told "wait until we set up someone to handle that", and then wait 2 months, and then maybe get approval, but by that time 2/3rds of the anime is over!

There are cases where it's possible without too much extra hassle, but it's really often very difficult to do it for a simulcast.

However, about 1-2 months after the CDs are released it's okay, which is why DVD releases are not nearly as much of a problem.

The solution to this lies in providing a financial incentive to the music production companies to set up international "tantous" for all properties earlier in the process. I.e. pay them off. And that's not happening anytime soon.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Where was it answered, though? By who?

Well, he's answered your question now, so its kind of moot. But I'm pretty sure I've seen him give a shorter version of his above answer when this question came up in forums before. Whether it was here or one of the other forums, I don't remember. Though I suppose Justin Sevakis or whoever was translating OreImo (as I recall him[?] posting here in the forums a few times) could have mentioned it as well. It also may have come up in ANNcasts before, but this is only about the third one I've actually listened to and I hear most of the new/important bits of information second hand in forum threads,.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

So, the streaming companies ask for approval, and are told "wait until we set up someone to handle that", and then wait 2 months, and then maybe get approval, but by that time 2/3rds of the anime is over!.

Better late than never though. I'd say go ahead and put them on those final episodes if possible rather then never at all.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Where was it answered, though? By who?

Well, he's answered your question now, so its kind of moot.

Yep, which is why I deleted that post as soon as I saw it was answered. Mr. Green

You're quick, it must have only been up for about 30 seconds!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
... It also may have come up in ANNcasts before, but this is only about the third one I've actually listened to and I hear most of the new/important bits of information second hand in forum threads,.

I think it may have been a twitter question when they had the CEO of Crunchyroll as a guest.
nursemcquade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Great episode! This new business model Sam was speaking of sounds really exciting. I would definitely support shows that I want to see subbed. Can't wait!!!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Another wonderful podcast.

Also, great to hear about a (plausible, given the backing he apparently has) new anime funding/licensing idea. I hope there's a $50 entry-point, there's not many series I'd pledge over $100 for, but I'd find $50 pretty manageable.

It's good to talk about patronage, but don't forget that a lot of books were originally published by subscription (literally, "underwriting").

PS., here's a second on getting the fellow from the Australian company.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
I'd love to have Eric Cherry on the show, but he very recently left Siren Visual (I'm told he's still "in the family" and it's for some forthcoming strategic reason, but aside from that I have no clue what's going on). So we'll keep him in mind but now doesn't seem like the best timing.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
The show I'd put serious money towards would be Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~. Perhaps Manabi Straight as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8