• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Scientific Railgun (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Ferian wrote:
Umm... There isn't a definition of Mary Sue. The term is loosely used to encompass characters that show a number of traits but these traits depend largely on who's using the word.

Uh, yes there is. Look up the history. Specifically "Mary Sue" was the name of a character in a Star Trek fanfic designed to show the sort of characters authors stick in their fanfiction.

If you want to call Touma a "Boring, Invincible Hero," by all means. But a Mary Sue he is not.

And how are Touma's victories unbelievable? He has the power to negative people's special powers. This is devastating to his opponents because typically people in this world rely soley on their powers. Take away Mikoto's electricity and she's just a typical school girl. Take away Styl's magic and he's just a 14 year old with wacky horomones.

Occasionally you'll have foes like Kaori who can (and does) kick his ass through physical ability alone. Though Touma is no slouch in a fist fight either.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
There is also one specific reason Touma can't be a Mary Sue. He is a guy, the proper term should be Gary Stu, I am sure some of you must have read the SAO thread to remember that.

But Touma has his weaknesses that make him not capable; for one his misfortune, the fact he ends up in hospital in almost every arc, he ends up hurt or in fights a lot, you can't say that is a great relationship thing. On the other hand he pretty much wins every fight by punching them in the face, and a harem that seems to grow with a large amount of defeated enemies becoming really friendly.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
That's part of why main characters can't really be Mary Sue (or whatever your prefered gender variant). He's the protagonist so of course he's not going to lose an important fight! If he does you can be sure he'll come back and defeat the opponent eventually.

Granted this does put the Sisters arc of Railgun in a sticky situation, since Mikoto is the main character here, but spoiler[Touma beating Accelerator] was established in Index first.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
it's ok, Mikoto was never going to be able to spoiler[defeat Accelerator]
Ferian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:05 am Reply with quote
This whole argument boils down to a difference in opinions regarding what constitutes a Mary Sue. As such, I don't see much point in continuing so I'm dropping the issue of whether Touma is one... after this post. Cool
For the record and to make this clear, I never said he was. What I said is that he shows some of the traits I associate with that kind of character and that he is closer to being a Mary Sue than Shiage.

Vaisaga wrote:
Uh, yes there is. Look up the history. Specifically "Mary Sue" was the name of a character in a Star Trek fanfic designed to show the sort of characters authors stick in their fanfiction.

Umm... So? Tsundere also didn't originally mean what is meant by it now. Mary Sue may have been a very particular character archetype in the beginning but its use has become less specific over time.

Vaisaga wrote:
If you want to call Touma a "Boring, Invincible Hero," by all means. But a Mary Sue he is not.

*shrugs* Boring Invincible Hero can overlap with Mary Sue. Touma has other traits of the latter even beyond the former.
The world often seems to carry the idiot ball just to make him look good... okay, this is still mostly in regard to his fights so put it under BIH if you want to.
He has a bunch of girls "in love" with him and manages to keep their attention on him despite not putting any real effort and having very little interaction with them.
His speeches put him in the right and tend to give him high moral ground no matter their actual content, which is self-righteous more than anything else. His persuasiveness with those speeches often goes into asspull territory, too. Izzard is a fine example (argue if you want, his state of mind was not nearly unbalanced enough to freak out so fast; if his mind WAS in such a fragile state, no one bothered to make that apparent in the anime, which makes the scene less believable than I could make it with a bit of editing; seeing as I'm not a professional writer or editor, I don't see that as a good thing).

Vaisaga wrote:
And how are Touma's victories unbelievable? He has the power to negate people's special powers. This is devastating to his opponents because typically people in this world rely soley on their powers. Take away Mikoto's electricity and she's just a typical school girl. Take away Styl's magic and he's just a 14 year old with wacky horomones.

*sigh* Each individual victory is believable. They become less and less likely with each new one, though. Once again, his opponents seem to be carrying the idiot ball for him just so that he can win his fights. Either that or he is extremely lucky, which is not what the author suggests repeatedly.

DuskyPredator wrote:
There is also one specific reason Touma can't be a Mary Sue. He is a guy, the proper term should be Gary Stu, I am sure some of you must have read the SAO thread to remember that.

*shrugs* Same thing. And no, by using Mary Sue, I am not implying that Touma is a pussy. No, not at all. Rolling Eyes

DuskyPredator wrote:
But Touma has his weaknesses that make him not capable; for one his misfortune, the fact he ends up in hospital in almost every arc, he ends up hurt or in fights a lot, you can't say that is a great relationship thing.

His misfortune? The one that lets him be in the right place and time to save the day? The one that lets him win those fights despite the odds stacked against him? Excuse me if I choose to have doubts on that account.
Him ending up in hospital is but a minor trifle that never has any real consequences.
Having weaknesses and losses that are simply handwaved in regard to important matters only increases Mary Sue-ishness of a character in my eyes.

Vaisaga wrote:
That's part of why main characters can't really be Mary Sue (or whatever your prefered gender variant). He's the protagonist so of course he's not going to lose an important fight! If he does you can be sure he'll come back and defeat the opponent eventually.

...Go read some serious literature, will you?
Okay, yes, since this is shonen, that trope is in full effect, I agree. However, I don't see how that is a good thing, why it has to be so, or how that would diminish the sueishness of any character.

Vaisaga wrote:
Granted this does put the Sisters arc of Railgun in a sticky situation, since Mikoto is the main character here, but spoiler[Touma beating Accelerator] was established in Index first.

Not really. If you have an enemy that cannot be defeated by the protagonist and choose to have someone else save the day, you just have to include dangerous enemies that can be dealt with by the protagonist in a spectacular fashion. Give the protagonist their time to shine, essentially.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
Ferian wrote:

*sigh* Each individual victory is believable. They become less and less likely with each new one, though. Once again, his opponents seem to be carrying the idiot ball for him just so that he can win his fights. Either that or he is extremely lucky, which is not what the author suggests repeatedly.

Okay, yes, since this is shonen, that trope is in full effect, I agree. However, I don't see how that is a good thing, why it has to be so, or how that would diminish the sueishness of any character.

Stop arguing with yourself, you're both right? "Ultimately victorious hero who gets his butt handed to him prior to or after winning" is the same as "boring invincible hero" for shounen; It's kind of its thing.

We know he's going to win, it's the matter of how. It's not Mary Sue or Gary Sue {Shouldn't that be Marty Sue?} because that sort of thinking is antithetical to serial format stories; After every climax, the proper thinking is "Oh, how will our hero get out of this bind/defeat the invincible villain?", not "the author's going to save him otherwise there won't be a next chapter, plus the villain will ultimately lose so why am I wasting my time with this?"

WSJ lives on this, anime as well. You got this far but you're just realizing it now?

And I'd like to keep Mary Sue as the term used for characters that were made by their author to be absolutely perfect in and for their setting; Touma's not a Marty Sue, he's a, watchacallit, main character, specifically tailor made for shounen without the whole "training to be stronger" aspect.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
^ Umm... I've said somethign to this effect in just in the previous post. I don't consider Touma a Mary Sue. Everyone else seems to share that opinion. So... why even point that out again?
Anyway, a Mary Sue is a set of attributes rather than a definite character archetype, some of them even contradictory. "Too much of a good thing" is how I'd describe it if prompted. But "too much" is a highly subjective parameter so there isn't a definite line separating what is a Mary Sue and what isn't. Thus, I prefer to employ a sliding scale of Sue-ishness based on the number of traits and their extent shown by the character rather than a yes/no two-option query.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Ferian wrote:
His speeches put him in the right and tend to give him high moral ground no matter their actual content, which is self-righteous more than anything else.

Again I ask when has Touma ever not been in the right? If the person he was fighting was the right one, then they wouldn't have gotten Touma to set his sights on them in the first place. And if he's been tricked into it, he usually sees that he's mistaken and rectifies it like in the case of the Amakusas.

Ferian wrote:
His persuasiveness with those speeches often goes into asspull territory, too. Izzard is a fine example (argue if you want, his state of mind was not nearly unbalanced enough to freak out so fast; if his mind WAS in such a fragile state, no one bothered to make that apparent in the anime, which makes the scene less believable than I could make it with a bit of editing; seeing as I'm not a professional writer or editor, I don't see that as a good thing).

Uh... Izzard's case had nothing to do with convincing him. Touma scared the shit out of him. His faltering does still make sense since he was so confident his Ars Magna was so absolute and unbeatable, so being proven otherwise caused him to doubt that and since the ability relies on his mental state it really did stop working. The bigger the ego, the more fragile it is.

Ferian wrote:

How does each become less likely? Touma is accumulating combat experience as he goes along so of course he's only going to get better. Besides, it's not like he's always the one solving the issue. Remember Angel Fall? He got his ass kicked by Motoharu and had no part in resolving that incident. And at the end of season two, while he did beat Vento, he couldn't do anything to help Hyouka. Mikoto, Index, and Last Order had to deal with that.

Ferian wrote:
...Go read some serious literature, will you?

Creative Writing 101: The protagonist is the one to resolve the conflict. They wouldn't be a good protagonist if other people solved all their problems.

So unless you want everything to be a tragedy, then yeah, the good guy has to beat the bad guy.

Ferian wrote:
Not really. If you have an enemy that cannot be defeated by the protagonist and choose to have someone else save the day, you just have to include dangerous enemies that can be dealt with by the protagonist in a spectacular fashion. Give the protagonist their time to shine, essentially.

I assume you're talking about Team ITEM. I'm sure that won't stop people from complaining about Touma making Mikoto look bad by beating Accelerator.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Again I ask when has Touma ever not been in the right? If the person he was fighting was the right one, then they wouldn't have gotten Touma to set his sights on them in the first place. And if he's been tricked into it, he usually sees that he's mistaken and rectifies it like in the case of the Amakusas.

*sigh* You refuse to get my point. It's not the matter of who's actually "right" or "wrong" but how the author presents the whole thing. The speeches Touma throws are usually self-righteous to the point of vacuous idealism. That is NOT a good thing, never a good thing, not to mention that they have little persuasiveness (to make this clear, they have little persuasiveness for me and failed to convince me that they would have the same impact on the other party as presented in the work).
Furthermore, the author always makes the "bad guy" wrong, if not evil, and their reasons and convictions superfluous, or at least presented as such, instead of building a proper conflict without a clear white/black division. Arguably, Fiamma's case could be this if not for his portrayal as megalomaniac, violent, and sadistic. Shinyaku is somewhat better in this respect, but thus far that is the only good thing about it.

Vaisaga wrote:
Uh... Izzard's case had nothing to do with convincing him.

Actually, it had everything to do with convincing him. And I didn't find the performance put on by Touma convincing enough to push Izzard over the brink like that. Had their battle lasted longer, with Izzard being pushed back for a while, thus wearing him out mentally, destabilizing him gradually, or had the author given Ars Magna some side effects (for the record, since Izzard was using self-suggestion to activate it, this would be a perfect explanation for deteriorating his psyche to such a fragile state - he'd simply gotten himself detached from reality and susceptible to any form of suggestion by manipulating reality around him), then yes, I would find the sequence believable. Alas, that was not the case, and my suspension of disbelief was broken.
...(spoilers for volume 22)spoiler[Well, unless that sequence was a very early glimpse of the THING that the Imagine Breaker is suppressing. If so, it may have been an almost genius idea, though still lacking in descriptive power to be proper foreshadowing. Then again, maybe it did have that descriptive power in the novel.]

Vaisaga wrote:
Touma scared the shit out of him. His faltering does still make sense since he was so confident his Ars Magna was so absolute and unbeatable, so being proven otherwise caused him to doubt that and since the ability relies on his mental state it really did stop working. The bigger the ego, the more fragile it is.

If you believe that, good for you. But sorry, I don't see that happening in that particular context. That may have been the idea but the presentation failed it rather hard.

...And this is the point I've grown tired of this. I'll just summarize: almost every damn thing you mention broke my suspension of disbelief at one point or another. Capisce? I won't get back to this and hope I won't have to repeat it yet another time.

Vaisaga wrote:
Creative Writing 101: The protagonist is the one to resolve the conflict. They wouldn't be a good protagonist if other people solved all their problems.

...no, really, go grab some good literature. Resolving the conflict doesn't necessary mean winning. Resolution of conflict can be many, many things. There is a thing called "tragedy", for example, which doesn't necessarily end with the protagonist winning. Yet they can still be a brilliant protagonist despite this. The Children of Hurin instantly come to mind, as well as Kalevala with Kullervo and The Nibelungenlied with Siegfried. All have their victories but those do not resove any conflict or create a new one if they do, and it's only by the protagonists losing their lives that things get resolved.

Vaisaga wrote:
So unless you want everything to be a tragedy, then yeah, the good guy has to beat the bad guy.

Oh-ah. Umm... Yeah, I kinda missed this the first time when reading your post. So feel free to disregard the above paragraph. But I still disagree that a protagonist has to win to be a good protagonist. It all depends on the specific conflict. I agree that a happy end requires the protagonist winning something but that can be just surviving or saving his loved one without "beating" the "enemy" in any way. Furthermore, a lack of a happy end does not constitute a tragedy by itself.

Vaisaga wrote:
I assume you're talking about Team ITEM. I'm sure that won't stop people from complaining about Touma making Mikoto look bad by beating Accelerator.

I don't see any reason for them to do so, though. It's a fact that Mikoto had no real chance whatsoever against Accelerator as he was back then (now, though, she can make him a cripple in an instant, dohohoho). The best she could hope for was a double K.O., achieved by filling a closed area with ozone or something similar. But even that is an extremely unlikely eventuality as Accelerator has shown considerable regenerating ability - he would be able to fix the damage before his brain stopped functioning. So the only real chance of victory for her would be to force a task requiring his full attention onto him and striking him when his shields are down. I don't see how she'd do that, though, and any sequence of events that would create such a situation would either appear contrived or result in an OOC Mikoto with Batman's planning ability, thus leading to even more complaints from the viewers.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Ferian wrote:
And I didn't find the performance put on by Touma convincing enough to push Izzard over the brink like that.

If you don't find Touma acting like getting his arm cut off was no big deal convincing acting, well, I can't imagine what actor you'd give the Oscar to.

Ferian wrote:
...(spoilers for volume 22)spoiler[Well, unless that sequence was a very early glimpse of the THING that the Imagine Breaker is suppressing. If so, it may have been an almost genius idea, though still lacking in descriptive power to be proper foreshadowing. Then again, maybe it did have that descriptive power in the novel.]

It was. They thought it was just a result of Izzard's imagination, though.

Ferian wrote:
...no, really, go grab some good literature. Resolving the conflict doesn't necessary mean winning. Resolution of conflict can be many, many things. There is a thing called "tragedy", for example, which doesn't necessarily end with the protagonist winning. Yet they can still be a brilliant protagonist despite this. The Children of Hurin instantly come to mind, as well as Kalevala with Kullervo and The Nibelungenlied with Siegfried. All have their victories but those do not resove any conflict or create a new one if they do, and it's only by the protagonists losing their lives that things get resolved.

The key is that it's the protagonist that resolves it, even if the outcome isn't all that great. This happened to Touma in the first arc, after all.

Still, you can't have stuff like that happening all the time.

The point is that winning all the time isn't a trait of being a Mary Sue, it's a trait of being a protagonist.

Ferian wrote:
I don't see any reason for them to do so, though.

They'll do it anyways. Some people are pretty touchy on things like this, especially when it comes to women having to let men solve their problems.

Though like you were talking about before, Mikoto could resolve it in the way she initially intended: spoiler[Letting Accelerator kill her in one move, thus proving Tree Diagram's calculations wrong and putting an end to the experiment because they can't recalculate.] I doubt anyone would be happy with that ending, though.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
If you don't find Touma acting like getting his arm cut off was no big deal convincing acting, well, I can't imagine what actor you'd give the Oscar to.

Again, you misunderstand, though it's probably my fault for wording that sentence that way. No matter how good Touma's performance had been, it shouldn't have affected Izzard to that degree under those circumstances. It's not a matter of acting ability but rather timing and situational context.

Vaisaga wrote:
It was. They thought it was just a result of Izzard's imagination, though.

Evidence. Gimme. The dragon thing WAS just a result of Izzard's Ars Magna going out of control, I believe. What lead to that particular delusion, however, is a different matter. (spoilers up to volume 22) spoiler[It's stated explicitly that the invisible THING had an extremely powerful presence. That may have driven Izzard over the edge.
Also: that Aiwass calls itself "Dragon" cannot be taken as conclusive evidence for the origin of the dragonlike thing that appeared to attack Izzard.]

Vaisaga wrote:
The point is that winning all the time isn't a trait of being a Mary Sue, it's a trait of being a protagonist.

Did I ever say it is? *sigh* It's not the fact of winning, it's the how of it that makes one sue-ish. And as I've said, I won't argue on account of whether Touma qualifies or not - my opinion is that he does, and it won't change unless some strong arguments are provided.

Vaisaga wrote:
Though like you were talking about before, Mikoto could resolve it in the way she initially intended: spoiler[Letting Accelerator kill her in one move, thus proving Tree Diagram's calculations wrong and putting an end to the experiment because they can't recalculate.] I doubt anyone would be happy with that ending, though.

That was a consideration of desperation. Not just that, it would not resolve anything as the scientists would consider the result a fluke... well, okay, it might have lead to Accelerator losing the will to continue and pressuring the administration into adopting the intended point of view himself. Actually, know what? That would have been an awesome ending.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm declaring an end to the "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" discussion, effective immediately, in large part because it's off-topic. Since this discussion is focused on Touma and events in Index, it should be discussed there unless there is some aspect of this that is specifically relevant to Railgun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
unless there is some aspect of this that is specifically relevant to Railgun.

There is. As we've been talking about, this season will involve a heavy Touma presence.
Ferian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
^ Actually, no, it won't. Important Touma presence - yes, but aside from the meeting at the vending machine and the final night, we won't see him around unless filler gets involved.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
You're right, I should have used "important" instead.

Though I imagine that'll only make reactions worse since he comes out of 'nowhere' to save the day. Heck, just look at the shit storm that resulted from Kirito doing stuff instead of Asuna.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 72