• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:54 am Reply with quote
I actually didn't much care for most of the Slip Arc. I think I'm going to have to go revisit some earlier arcs in the series, because I can't tell if my sense of humor has changed over time, or if I never would have thought it was that good. While I did find parts of it funny, for me it just never delivered the rotflmao hilarity Gintama used to back in the day.

But Silver Soul is off to a really good start. I've always liked the serious arcs anyway, and the humor in this episode seemed to hit the mark a little more than last season, so best of both worlds, eh?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote
I'd almost forgotten that Hasegawa had once been gainfully employed. After all the abuse he endured last season, it was great to see him score a small victory, even if the whole affair ended in a predictably Hasegawa-ish fashion. (The fact that he's able to move around without his shades would suggest that he's not actually a spirit, but I probably shouldn't take anything from that arc too seriously.) The return of Prince Hata and Jii was a fun surprise, as was Kintoki's appearance in the opening credits. I love the idea of a character from one of the show's most metafictional, fourth-wall-breaky stories showing up in a serious arc.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote

Poop jokes aren't really my thing, and Gintama's frequent plumbing of that genre usually leaves me mostly unamused, but I was laughing my ass off this entire episode. From Kagura's not-so-stealthy doctoring of Nobunobu's croquettes to Katsura and Sakamoto's repeated still-shots (and the fixed expressions they had) as they silently commented on the proceedings, this was probably the funniest episode they've done in ages, even though Slip Arc was supposed to be the humor-fest.

Of course this probably means that the shit is really going to hit the fan next week, if they gave us an episode like this in the Super-Serious Arc. I'm strapped in, ready to go, I think. Let's do this.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:17 am Reply with quote
Nobunobu's quickly becoming one of my favorite foes-turned-allies. Since he didn't seem important enough to warrant one, I never really expected him to get a redemption arc, but I'm happy to have been wrong. The episode in which he bonded with Sakamoto featured some genuinely touching moments that helped humanize him and give the audience some insight into his mindset, and as evidenced by recent events, he also makes a great high-status comic foil for the rest of the cast.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote

Well, the first act was really brutal, but man can this show turn on a dime without missing a beat! Okita and Hijikata may not have been able to take out the big mech, but the rapid-fire *tink* *tink* *tink* of their swords against the metal nearly did me in. And Kondo...smh. Laughing

Maybe it's just me, but this episode looked fantastic. There were more epic suitable-for-framing portraits of characters in this than I've ever seen in one episode of any series.

Why is it so quiet in here? Seems like Jag and I are the only ones still watching. :/
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
^This thread has never been terribly busy and well, it's Gintama! It's awesome!! What's there to discuss?! Wink

A lot of fans of the series, myself included, are probably also reading the manga and while i love the anime (even more than the manga), it's a bit weird and slightly painful to watch the beginning of the final arc while the manga is about to end...which i am still in denial about, btw... Crying or Very sad
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I actually fell behind with the manga quite a while ago. (In fact, as of the end of episode 345, everything I read has been adapted.) In retrospect, this may have been a happy accident, since I can now experience most of the final arc as an anime watcher - assuming, of course, the temptation to discover what happens next doesn't prove overpowering. I'm still curious about how many seasons Silver Soul will encompass. Based on its length, I'm assuming it'll eat up at least 24-26 episodes, but I won't be surprised if they find a way to make it last longer.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Okita and Hijikata may not have been able to take out the big mech, but the rapid-fire *tink* *tink* *tink* of their swords against the metal nearly did me in.

This was the biggest laugh of the episode for me, too. I also thought it was an interesting juxtaposition to how easily Gintoki and Takasugi were able to tear through tanks in the Rakuyo arc. By my count, this is the second or third time Kondo's junk has been torn off. I'm guessing he's able to regenerate it at will by this point.

Really excited about Kintoki showing up in the preview. I love how a story that operated under the central conceit that Gintama is a work of fiction is 100% canon in this world.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Well, the first act was really brutal, but man can this show turn on a dime without missing a beat! Okita and Hijikata may not have been able to take out the big mech, but the rapid-fire *tink* *tink* *tink* of their swords against the metal nearly did me in. And Kondo...smh. Laughing

Maybe it's just me, but this episode looked fantastic. There were more epic suitable-for-framing portraits of characters in this than I've ever seen in one episode of any series.

Why is it so quiet in here? Seems like Jag and I are the only ones still watching. :/

I concur with Merida. There's only so many ways you can say Gintama is still Gintama, in every regard, in the best way. And how! With the episode long poop joke in 343 and how the last episode seamlessly pivoted from serious plot to comedy, among many other examples.

There was one thing that I forgot to mention last week though. I loved how they mentioned the live action movie the day after I saw it in theaters. I'd say it was the best live action anime adaptation I've ever seen, but that's a low bar. They really captured the spirit of the anime, but also effectively used the medium to good effect. I prefer the original cast, but the live-action cast did a very good job. They could have advertised it better though, since I first learned it was coming to the area by walking past the theater two weeks before the showing.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:45 am Reply with quote
I like how aside from the marching army in the street, which was ta a distance, all the people were 2D. Sure it meant they had to skip on the animation, and the animation loop of them jumping over buildings got a bit annoying seeing the same person 3 times. but not having to see the same ugly 3D character 500 times was great.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
I lost track of the number of times this episode I thought, "Huh. Didn't see that coming." Smile I don't even know which was more shocking - Elizabeth's identity, or that he spoke through his penis.

Do we know which Elizabeth it is that turned out to be the Prince?

Are you sure?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even Otae's fall to her “death” seems less perilous than the show frames it to be.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. It was less perilous because of the surprise net that saved everyone. Prior to that reveal, it looked pretty darn perilous for her and the lot tossed over with her, even if we knew she wouldn't be killed off in the middle of a running battle with no time to wallow in dramatic goodbyes.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the reviewer remembers 4 devas completely. This flashback was all new content, and reveled plenty of new info about jirochos past. Such as him fighting constantly and the completion to pass otose off, which led to otose being married.

Oh, and for anyone reading- you should check the manga for the tsukuyo/ kyubei conversation scene. The episode cut parts out for some bizarre reason. Still a great episode though!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, the last time we had a Evanglion parody, was when they redid the last scene, which was about 10 years ago.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Amy wrote:
Quote:
Although nothing gets resolved this week, Takasugi's sudden reappearance is a decent enough narrative hook for the show to temporarily bow out on.

"Decent enough"?! That was a fantastic hook, though i may be slightly biased when it comes to Takasugi. While i'd prefer no break at all, at least i know there's a lot of goodness left to look forward to. Very Happy
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
So has the Manga ended? I don't read it, but I keep tabs on it. And it seems like there are still chapters coming out despite the fact that it supposedly ended.

edit: I know I kind of answered my own question there, a better question could be why is there content coming out after the Manga finished its last arc.?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 35