• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) World Is Still Beautiful (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As for the rest, I am sensing a "if you don't see the same flaws that I do then you must be clueless/deluded" attitude from some in the last few posts. Do keep in mind that it is entirely possible to fairly disagree about whether or not something even is a flaw, or for a person to make something of nothing. And not all of us that are giving the series higher ratings and more glowing compliments are refusing to acknowledge that there are some problems, especially in pacing.

It's not so much as "if you don't see the same flaws etc..." It's basically the usual scenario of:

Person A: Hmmm, they just shoved these two (romantic leads) together instantly without much development at all. That should have been done better

Person B: Yea, that could have been done better. They over-dramatized it too. Some subtlety/grace would be nice.

Person C: What are you guys talking about? That was done absolutely right! Waiting for development is annoying! We just need to see them together now. And drama is good. You're just nit picking.

then...

Person A: They are just following obvious rom-com tropes. They used trope X, Y, and Z over and over. I was hoping for more from this show.

Person B: Couldn't they just add this little twist to that trope and make it different?

Person C: What the heck are you guys talking about!! You're not making any sense at all. You should just expect the same tropes. If you like rom-com, you should love those tropes. Who cares how recycled/obvious they are, none of that matters! Tropes are good. Resistance is futile. (Okay, maybe not the last part).

Person C virtually always responds by saying that everything pointed out as a flaw is not actually a flaw, but either intentional or something that is actually good. Again, it's not about seeing the "same" flaws, but instead blindly ignoring every potential negative that others point out, or claiming that such complaints "make no sense," or are otherwise illegitimate. That's what I understand to be super fan-ism. Certainly, these types of discussions are highly subjective and everyone won't agree, but consistent denial of virtually everything negative tends to be a red flag for a super fan (unless the show is just that amazing that it is getting universal acclaim).
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
And constantly harping on every little thing even when it's not really a significant problem is being cynical. We see plenty of that 'round here, too. We also see plenty of people trying to pigeonhole everything into "oh, it's this tired old trope again" even when it's not.

I really do understand what you mean by the superfan-in-denial phenomenon. I have certainly seen it in action myself. However, it is (thankfully!) a relatively rare occurrence in these forums over the past few years. But we certainly haven't had a full-blown case of that in this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Person C: What the heck are you guys talking about!! You're not making any sense at all. You should just expect the same tropes. If you like rom-com, you should love those tropes. Who cares how recycled/obvious they are, none of that matters! Tropes are good. Resistance is futile. (Okay, maybe not the last part).

I am guessing that "Person C" is me. And I was not saying that at all, what I was refuting was some saying that using tropes at all of princess to be saved, or a trial to win love, was automatically bad writing. And I wrote that rather than a same old trope it is basic writing, and actually it did defy tropes. Did Nike need saving from the tower? No she go out herself. Was Bard a set up of the story for her to stay faithful? No, Bard was doing it purposely to check that faithfulness. Was it love at first sight akin to many shoujo's? No, Livius considered her a plaything and Nike thought of him as a brat, but she took interest in helping him and it evolved from there.
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
2nd favourite show this season. I tend to enjoy most shoujo shows but most that air tend to be SOL as opposed to fantasy so this was a nice departure from the norm. And it was a pretty interesting fantasy world at that.

It was a little slow initially, up until episode 5 or 6 I wasn't sure whether I'd see it through to the end but thankfully it picked up after that. It was also after that the character development actually happened (thank god), if it hadn't I definitely would have dropped this. "Tender Rain" also appeared a little too frequently to be special each time. After the 4th or 5th time it lost it's magic for me.

As much as I would like more I kinda feel like it ended well enough to not need a sequel. I guess I'd be OK it staying complete as is, sometimes less is more I guess.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
Okay, so I kept up with this thread as it was airing. Several opinions expressed disappointment with the way that the series was going and how Nike's character was the main reason some were still watching. It dampened my enthusiasm to watch the series after such a strong recommendation at the beginning, so I put it on the back burner. Rebecca's recent Top 5 Anime of 2014 list (with this series as #3) convinced me to watch it.

And I loved it! Then again, I am a sucker for strong heroines and sweet, well-developed romances. Nike is an easy character to love and root for, and her relationship with Livi was charming and filled with many fuzzy, warm feelings. And I'll even go out on a limb and say that the appearance didn't bother me at all. He normally acts older than his age (other than when he's throwing tantrums), plus he has a deeper voice. Rather than perceiving him as a child, I just perceived him as someone with a growth disorder. (Also, I was under the impression during the entire series that he was 15, yet this is conflicting with other places on the internet saying he's 12. I thought that he started conquering the world at the age of 12. I could be wrong though. I personally don't consider 15 an age of a child). Regardless, it doesn't change my opinion of the couple. I honestly like couples where the guy is shorter than the girl (yes, visually, I like the appearance), but they rarely happen so I try to enjoy the ones I get.

I think marathoning the series versus watching it weekly helps. I never thought the series dragged, which I might have if I was watching it weekly. The song "Tender Rain" also didn't show up as often as I thought it would with the amount of complaints I've heard of its overuse (Nike sang it in episodes 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 12, and oftentimes it wasn't the full version of the song or characters were talking over it). I thought the song was beautiful and didn't grow tired of it.

Episodes 1-5 were the strongest in the series, but I still liked the later episodes, especially the ones that took place in the Principality of Rain (Nike's feelings were finally becoming romantic, and we got several kisses). I thought I would be more bothered by episode 6 (the romantic rival) than I thought I was, but even that episode was still funny and charming.

If this were ever licensed for English physical release, I'd definitely pick it up.

Rating: 8/10 (Very Good)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 34 of 34