• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Umm, Gina, your post has Heaven's Feel spoilers in it, could you please hide those?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
#12:

Although more faithful to the source material for the final duel, I would have also preferred more detail to the weapons being used and to have seen them being shattered on impact rather than simply repelled. Although the final result would have been unaffected, I thought there would have been more impact with broken weapons. Unfortunately there are limits to the animation budget so abusing Rho Aias as an impromptu shield has its benefits.

I don't remember two seals being used, just the one to force Saber to use Excalibur. Nice to hear the other track which has survived to get an airing in this adaptation.

#13:

Not a bad epilogue with expansion on what would happen to the two of them after they travel to London to continue their studies. A little teaser of Luviagelt complete with German suplex and the cut-off sleeves from Hollow/Ataraxia. Since Ufotable wanted to link their previous adaptation to this work, somehow the only survivor from the 4th War would be rammed in somehow despite supposedly spending most of the 5th with the couple who took him in.

I've enjoyed this, the producers wanted to attract new fans to the series and give a more updated rendition of a now very-old work. There's still the movie to come but that will probably have to wait before it sees the light of day. With Fate/Grand Order now out or almost at release, the franchise will be milked for some time to come before Type/Moon go back to different projects.[/img]
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Since Ufotable wanted to link their previous adaptation to this work, somehow the only survivor from the 4th War would be rammed in somehow despite supposedly spending most of the 5th with the couple who took him in.

Wait, what? Waver spent the entirety of the 5th HGW in London, where he's been a lecturer at the Clock Tower ever since he took over as head of the El-Melloi family...

Unless I'm reading this part of your post wrong...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Umm, Gina, your post has Heaven's Feel spoilers in it, could you please hide those?

I just hid the whole post, since I haven't seen Heaven's Feel, so I don't know what you're talking about.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
My all this talk about Fate and Destiny and Choices and stuff.

What I got out of it: Rin sure is cuddly with Shirou these days. Tsundere reformed.

That, and it was visually stunning. Whomever did that has a deep love for the scenes of England.

Speaking of eye candy Rin sure looks good in spandex 2-piece. Ripped. I had to look up what a medulla oblongata was. My first guess was wrong.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I had to look up what a medulla oblongata was. My first guess was wrong.

Hearing that term reminds of the scene from the Waterboy where Adam Sandler's character attends his first college class. That's the only reason why I know what a medulla oblongata is.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
Since Ufotable wanted to link their previous adaptation to this work, somehow the only survivor from the 4th War would be rammed in somehow despite supposedly spending most of the 5th with the couple who took him in.

Wait, what? Waver spent the entirety of the 5th HGW in London, where he's been a lecturer at the Clock Tower ever since he took over as head of the El-Melloi family...

Unless I'm reading this part of your post wrong...

This original epilogue is set two years after the events of the 5th, the way I understand his character biography he assumes the new title after an indefinite amount of time from events after the 4th war; his development is not instantaneous.

Either way, Waver and his background is only elaborated on in detail in the character material supplements and not in the books or the main work available in the game.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
The wikia sources the Character Materials that Waver is Rin's sponsor at the Clock Tower, so he must've gone back and taken up the title sometime before the epilogue.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
The wikia sources the Character Materials that Waver is Rin's sponsor at the Clock Tower, so he must've gone back and taken up the title sometime before the epilogue.

He has a 12-year window from the events he survived from, but plenty of time to grow taller and take up his post.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
I barely recognized Waver, he still has long hair (longer than before, actually), & he's still in England. Otherwise he looks completely different. And he's still a jerk? I thought his time with Rider softened him up. Why'd he have to be such a jerk to Shirou? And how'd he become recognized as a El-Melloi when he wasn't related to them at all and they hated him?

Actually, Shirou and Rin looked "off" to me, like the animators couldn't integrate their taller forms naturally with their body types. Especially Rin, who looked Twiggyish. And that women's wrestling scene was so...off

So two years after the end of the war, a year or so of living together after Shirou had already confessed his love, and not only aren't they an established couple, but Shirou still calls Rin by her family name. BS!

Why did Shirou reject the Clock Tower's offer to become a recognized mage of his own? So he could go off and become a soldier of justice or whatever without them on his back?

So I guess I got my Harry Potter type epilogue in that everyone ends up at Hogwarts Very Happy
TRC111396

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The origional hands down is probally one of my favorite animes but the animation and everythinh of the remake is just amazing!!!
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I barely recognized Waver, he still has long hair (longer than before, actually), & he's still in England. Otherwise he looks completely different. And he's still a jerk? I thought his time with Rider softened him up. Why'd he have to be such a jerk to Shirou? And how'd he become recognized as a El-Melloi when he wasn't related to them at all and they hated him?

He collected Kayneth's writings and basically published "Kayneth Archibald: the Complete Works", which saved the family's reputation. As a gratitude they gave him the title and also chained him to themselves since they blame him for Kayneth's death. Most likely he's a jerk because he's stuck with them and because he can't get over the fact that whatever he does he'll still be a mediocre magus.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Why did Shirou reject the Clock Tower's offer to become a recognized mage of his own? So he could go off and become a soldier of justice or whatever without them on his back?

Posted about this in the episode review thread:
Quote:
I feel that this wasn't fully explained, but if Shirou ever accepted a position in the Clock Tower, and his ability to create and use a Reality Marble was ever discovered, like when they'd test him for his origin and affinity when he formally enters the association, he'd earn a Sealing Designation so fast which would prevent him from ever leaving and able to do anything except under the strictest surveillance. Since human users of Reality Marbles are so rare, those that get discovered are given a Sealing Designation, which means that the higher ups in the Clock Tower want to capture and study you to see if they can't replicate the effect, and ultimately kill you if they're unable to capture you to do so. And seeing as how Shirou isn't the product of a lineage and therefore subject to the protection given to family heads...

Yes, mage society tends to be full of not-so-nice-people, so much so that the non-not-so-nice-people, like Waver and Rin, are the exceptions. There's a reason why he wanted out of the Clock Tower and the Mages Association, and the freedom to pursue his ideal was not the least of them.

jl07045 wrote:

He collected Kayneth's writings and basically published "Kayneth Archibald: the Complete Works", which saved the family's reputation. As a gratitude they gave him the title and also chained him to themselves since they blame him for Kayneth's death. Most likely he's a jerk because he's stuck with them and because he can't get over the fact that whatever he does he'll still be a mediocre magus.

Yeah, Waver was married into the El-Melloi family and inherited the title after they blamed him for Kayneth's death. He also inherited Kayneth's Mystic Code, the sentient ball of mercury called Volumen Hydrangeum, which he mostly keeps around in the form of a maid terminator in order to piss off the El-Mellois even more.

Also, Waver turned into a huge otaku, consuming Japanese media and games whenever he can. He's clearly disappointed in Rin despite being her sponsor at the Clock Tower because she doesn't care for that kind of thing and therefore can't help him acquire more of it. I believe there was a side material story where he called her "the worst Japanese ever" or something to that effect because of that.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Waver married into the El-Melloi family. More like forced into the family. The family head right now is Reines El-Melloi, she calls Waver as brother.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I love both main lass' and lad's voices.

The latter is really versatile: it can sound really cute and tender, and arrogant, evil, angry. There are many great voice actors who are great in either side, not those who are believable in both are quite rare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 38