• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Loved the first episode of the dub for Garo Vanishing Line. Smile

jr240483 wrote:
usually bad ass male characters like sword tends to be voiced by Chris Sabat like in soltry rei, but its a surprise their using someone different. i guess their taking the fans' feedback on using the same VA for a specific role all the time to heart it seems.

Either way he'd have done great but it's also nice to hear someone else doing this Sabat-like role this time. Overall I think they've done a good job mixing it up with the simuldubs.

Oh yeah, Sabat was a perfect voice for the main guy in Solty Rei Smile

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
usually bad ass male characters like sword tends to be voiced by Chris Sabat like in soltry rei, but its a surprise their using someone different. i guess their taking the fans' feedback on using the same VA for a specific role all the time to heart it seems.

Or he was too busy with other stuff and couldn't audition, or simply didn't get picked for the role if he did audition. I highly doubt Funi cares all that much about people complaining about them "using the same actors" They know how big their talent pool is.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Yup, personally I think they've got a pretty large selection of great VAs.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
I was not planning on watching Kings game and Juni Taisen but they got a simuldub so I said what the hell...I really wish I would of stuck to my gut instinct and steered clear of them. The only redeeming quality of Juni was that they spoiler[killed that most unlikable person they portrayed as the MC for the entirety of the episode]...If only Kings game would of followed suit.On the other hand BBB does not disappoint and the dub sounds great.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
It's is so great to have the BBB dub cast back! Worth the wait.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

Or he was too busy with other stuff and couldn't audition, or simply didn't get picked for the role if he did audition. I highly doubt Funi cares all that much about people complaining about them "using the same actors" They know how big their talent pool is.

true. and your former reason is also plausible. from doing vegetta in DB Super to probably at this moment doing all might for season 3 of boku no hero academia, its possible!

though the real head scratcher is why sword's VA use an alias this time in vanishing line? its as i said, its not over the top violent as with some series or overly sexual in rin or like in samurai girls/bride where some well known funi/adv VAs used alias for that time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
though the real head scratcher is why sword's VA use an alias this time in vanishing line? its as i said, its not over the top violent as with some series or overly sexual in rin or like in samurai girls/bride where some well known funi/adv VAs used alias for that time.

Could it be a union thing?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

Most likely. Even though Texas is outside of where the union has any influence, and enough LA actors use their real names for Funimation dubs to suggest it isn't a problem, I think some people still hesitate to put that to the test. I suppose another reason could be that some people like to use different names depending on what they are doing. For example, Zach Bolton uses that name when directing, but goes by Z. Charles Bolton when acting. If memory serves, there have been commentaries on things where Jaffe went by T. Axlerod and they used his real name in the commentary.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc, probably a union thing. Even if it isn't, maybe Taliesin Jaffe was just choosing to use an alias.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
like Mari's consistent bursts of random English, are alternately translated into French or simply ignored

I haven't watched the season 1 dub so I wasn't aware of how they translated Mari's speech but Mari is literally, canonically half Italian so why Funimation didn't think to make her say random Italian phrases I don't know. Why French? She's Italian. It seems so obvious.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Quote:
like Mari's consistent bursts of random English, are alternately translated into French or simply ignored

I haven't watched the season 1 dub so I wasn't aware of how they translated Mari's speech but Mari is literally, canonically half Italian so why Funimation didn't think to make her say random Italian phrases I don't know. Why French? She's Italian. It seems so obvious.

She is speaking Italian. It was a misinterpretation on the reviewers part. For the most part, she spouts out a lot of random Italian words throughout the dub, usually in place of whenever she randomly speaks English in the sub (she says "Ciao bellas" a few times, for example.)
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
harminia wrote:
Quote:

She is speaking Italian. It was a misinterpretation on the reviewers part. For the most part, she spouts out a lot of random Italian words throughout the dub, usually in place of whenever she randomly speaks English in the sub (she says "Ciao bellas" a few times, for example.)

Thanks for the correction, this will be fixed.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:

thank god for that! I wondered if that was the case, that the writer just had confused the two languages. That's a lot better then. My respect for Funimation has returned to its normal level now.
CaitlinGlass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

Winner, winner! So let's continue to call him T. Axelrod, cool? Wink

Thought I'd let you guys know about some fun casting stuff in the Garo world. All the anime Garo titles re-use the same actors, but in different capacities, and It's been my goal to to the same, whenever possible! So Sword in Vanishing Line and Douman in Crimson moon share a seiyuu in Japanese, and share a voice actor in English. You can find out more about that stuff in a video I posted to my twitter last week: https://twitter.com/caitlinsvoice/status/920763305664196608

Thanks for watching!
-Caitlin
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
CaitlinGlass wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
[

Winner, winner! So let's continue to call him T. Axelrod, cool? Wink

Thought I'd let you guys know about some fun casting stuff in the Garo world. All the anime Garo titles re-use the same actors, but in different capacities, and It's been my goal to to the same, whenever possible! So Sword in Vanishing Line and Douman in Crimson moon share a seiyuu in Japanese, and share a voice actor in English. You can find out more about that stuff in a video I posted to my twitter last week: https://twitter.com/caitlinsvoice/status/920763305664196608

Thanks for watching!
-Caitlin

You're welcome and that's pretty cool about the voices. I never noticed that before. I'm liking the dub so far though.

Keep up the good work! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 37