• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shiki (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Also, am I the only one who finds it strange that Natsuno felt he had to die? He's a jinrou so he can survive off human food. Why does he have to die if he's not a threat?

Furthermore, why is Natsuno the only Shiki who ever sided with the humans. I know it should be a minority of Shiki, but am I the only one who finds it a little iffy that in such a close-knit village, only ONE person who turned felt loyalty toward his own kind?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
The Shiki don't want their existence to be discovered. When they attack someone, the victim clearly sees who it is, and in many cases recognizes that that person is supposed to be dead.

Why were the shiki in this tiny town of around 1500 people, where everybody knows everybody else by sight, where someone's death would be widely known, and a risen person would be immediately recognized? Why were they not hiding in the anonymity of a major city, where it's possible to get a regular night job, where they can attack salarymen so drunk that everyone the victims try to talk to and possibly even themselves would think they were hallucinating?

Because Sunako read Muroi's story and decided to take over the village for the shiki. It was, from the very beginning, the shiki's campaign of genocide directed at the village.

Ah good, somebody was paying attention. Yes, they wanted the village. Sunako wanted a place that she could call home.

Quote:
Some individuals may deserve some sympathy because of death threats from the Kirishikis, but to allege that the events of Shiki were due to anything other than the shiki's evil plot is preposterous.

Eh, if you want to artificially place a mantle representing 'good' on humanity's side, then yes, the okiagi's actions are "evil". I've already had that discussion way too many times in this thread. Some people are not able to look at things without bias it seems.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Some individuals may deserve some sympathy because of death threats from the Kirishikis, but to allege that the events of Shiki were due to anything other than the shiki's evil plot is preposterous.
You are misreading my posts. I actually agree with your statement completely.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Eh, if you want to artificially place a mantle representing 'good' on humanity's side, then yes, the okiagi's actions are "evil". I've already had that discussion way too many times in this thread.

As a practical matter, the shiki are much better off blending into a major city and keeping contact with each other with numbers in the dozens rather than establishing an entire shiki village. The original migrants were committing mass murder and forcing the villagers to choose between their own lives and the lives of their former friends and family--all for Sunako's pleasure. I have no hesitation labeling such people as evil, regardless of the alignment of their opponents.

louis6578 wrote:
Furthermore, why is Natsuno the only Shiki who ever sided with the humans. I know it should be a minority of Shiki, but am I the only one who finds it a little iffy that in such a close-knit village, only ONE person who turned felt loyalty toward his own kind?

Based on the behavior of the humans in the last few episodes, the show adopts the stance that humans are bastards. Aside from the urge to drink blood, nothing indicates that being turned to shikis change the underlying human's mentality. Thus, it follows the show's theme that few people would choose their own death to help their former friends.

Also, Natsuno was really the only one who was in a position to help, because he was the only one who turned into a jinrou and thus would not be an easy victim for Tatsumi.

Last edited by Raftina on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
You really think the brightly-lit, densely-populated, and heavily guarded city would be a better place for the okiagari? They would have to be constantly moving whereas the villlage would provide stability.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
1. A city would have population in the millions. The shiki would not have to attack the same victim, if at all, even if they are dozens. So there would not be some kind of recurring vision of being attacked.

2. There are plenty of badly lit and almost deserted places in cities--the parks, the last train, for example.

3. Their victims would not recognize the attacker. The authorities would have to believe that these people were attacked by vampires whom they cannot identify for anything to happen.

Contrast with a small village:
1. It has a population of 1500 or so. Even if the shiki rotated constantly, there will be people having recurring "nightmares" of having their blood being sucked.

3. Their victims would know who the attackers are, so it won't take long for people to have doubts.

In a village, they are forced to take it over because they will be too easily discovered. And then what? Kidnap people from the nearby city en mass to feed the hundreds of new shiki? You think that will be easier than attacking random victims while living in the city?

The situation is so favorable to the city that the shiki can probably all live in the same apartment building and get together to play N64 every day just before dawn.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Eh, if you want to artificially place a mantle representing 'good' on humanity's side, then yes, the okiagi's actions are "evil". I've already had that discussion way too many times in this thread.

As a practical matter, the shiki are much better off blending into a major city and keeping contact with each other with numbers in the dozens rather than establishing an entire shiki village. The original migrants were committing mass murder and forcing the villagers to choose between their own lives and the lives of their former friends and family--all for Sunako's pleasure. I have no hesitation labeling such people as evil, regardless of the alignment of their opponents.

louis6578 wrote:

Based on the behavior of the humans in the last few episodes, the show adopts the stance that humans are bastards. Aside from the urge to drink blood, nothing indicates that being turned to shikis change the underlying human's mentality. Thus, it follows the show's theme that few people would choose their own death to help their former friends.

Also, Natsuno was really the only one who was in a position to help, because he was the only one who turned into a jinrou and thus would not be an easy victim for Tatsumi.

Hm... makes sense, but if a Shiki went back to his family and was properly hidden, it could work in their favor.

But yeah, I think the anime plays the sympathy card a little too much when it comes to the Shiki after episode 19
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
1. A city would have population in the millions. The shiki would not have to attack the same victim, if at all, even if they are dozens. So there would not be some kind of recurring vision of being attacked.

they would have to attack people on the street since they can't go into other people's house unless they invite them in first.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
If I were a shiki I would open up a private blood bank in a large city. Presto, lots of blood without the risks associated with attacking people. Plus my conscience would be clear since no-one had to get hurt. If I had Sunako's wealth I could even offer incentives to blood donors just to get more business. With a large-enough supply I could even offer most of the blood to hospitals and whatnot (like a regular blood bank does) while siphoning off just the amount I and my followers needed to survive.

But of course Sunako didn't want to live peacefully alongside humans, she wanted an entire village to call her own. Bitch. Of course, as soon as she had her village she would have needed to raid another village to keep up the supply of humans. And then another village. And then another village. And then a town. And then another town. And then a city . . . anyone who thought it was going to stop with one village is a moron.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42's shiki approach is very logical and praiseworthy, but it wouldn't make for very compelling viewing.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Anyway, I've made my thoughts on this show - and the morally bankrupt people who think it is a tale of grey versus grey - very clear countless times, so I'm not going to take this further.

I'd say it's "black versus Darwinism"; It's not a matter of morals, it's a matter of survival.

The clearest point in all of this is most people here don't understand the need for propagation {I can't call it "reproduction" as it's more of a disease}. Yeah, Shiki can't stay in large cities because 1) The dead get cremated in the city {guess what they are during the day? Too risky to stay in one spot, really} and 2) The shiki feel the need to turn others eventually which means they have to bury a dead body. {"Eventually" covers a lot of ground but they're "immortal" so its fine}

There's also "commuting" ... which is what they did during the series so, yeah, what's the problem here? Live in the hidden town with burial rites, feed off of neighboring cities. Oh right, the problem is not killing all the town's living residents. There's "black" for you, Dead and let die. Undead and get dead. But they got greedy, trying to turn as many people as possible. Dead and dumb, in the end {I didn't need "Willy Wonka" to prove that one}.

The Darwin half? Doing everything possible not to be "black"'s prey.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
^
Sigh. Animegomaniac, I was talking about how I would do it, not how Sunako did it. I wouldn't increase my followers willy-nilly (because I would be a good vampire) and so could easily blend into a large city. I'd also have trusted humans who would be in charge of running the business(es) and if I ever needed to attend board meetings I'd set them for night-time. When you're the boss you set the hours.

Anyway, I'm allowing myself to be dragged back into this thread but I have to resist. We all know what happened last time . . .
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
If I were a shiki I would open up a private blood bank in a large city. Presto, lots of blood without the risks associated with attacking people. Plus my conscience would be clear since no-one had to get hurt.

You seem blissfully unaware of a huge problem going on in the world caused by massive safe blood donation shortages.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Why don't the Shiki just attack one person and then instead of constantly attacking and eventually killing the same person, move on to someone else? Tohru doesn't wanna kill anyone? Then he doesn't have to. Yeah, he had to kill Natsuno because of his orders, but why's he angsting so much about killing everyone else?

Others have already explained that Sunako's plan was to take over the village for the shiki. In the manga, which goes into greater detail, it is explained that Sunako did it, because she feels lonely. That's incredibly stupid and selfish reason, but then Sunako is a terrible character that doesn't fit her role.

Last edited by Aylinn on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Why don't the Shiki just attack one person and then instead of constantly attacking and eventually killing the same person, move on to someone else? Tohru doesn't wanna kill anyone? Then he doesn't have to. Yeah, he had to kill Natsuno because of his orders, but why's he angsting so much about killing everyone else?

Others have already explained that Sunako's plan was to take over the village for the shiki. In the manga, which goes into greater details, it is explained that Sunako did it, because she feels lonely. That's incredibly stupid and selfish reason, but then Sunako is a terrible character that doesn't fit her role.

I sympathize with Sunako, but no to the point that I'd say she was right to do this crap. Yeah, I understand he dilemma and I understand that she was being selfish, but when you try to see things from her perspective, it's not too far fetched. I found her to be a very interesting character. Seishin on the other hand... had no reason to sympathize with the Shiki so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 41