• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Medaka Box (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
... and I only follow 4-5 a season.)

I think my count from last season got somewhere it the level of 14, though that was difficult. Well I am finding it easy to drop shounen and shows that go too strong for ecchi or get boring, this show seems fine for me at the moment, but so did Beelzebub before I totally stopped it, probably safer for me if this show does not go too long.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
So how is this show so far, people?

I'm willing to watch it solely because of GAINAX, Nisioisin, and Mqdaka's gloriously massive tits, but with a pedigree like that, it's gotta be at least somewhat good.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
So how is this show so far, people?

I'm willing to watch it solely because of GAINAX, Nisioisin, and Mqdaka's gloriously massive tits, but with a pedigree like that, it's gotta be at least somewhat good.

My preview for the second episode (which may be up in the Preview Guide by the time you read this) ups the rating to 3.5 out of 5. It's pretty funny overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blarg Monster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Dude... Medaka's character was invented to inspire MILLIONS of NTR doujinshi.

Edit: Thanks nbahn!

Last edited by Blarg Monster on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Blarg Monster--

Just wanted to issue you a quick "Welcome to the forums!" note.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, the second episode. But before I throw my 2-cents I have to make clear just what is so damn horrible about this show since it seems I wasn't clear the last time. So why does it fail so miserable to engage or make me care about it? Because the main character Medaka is undeveloped and so damn annoyingly "perfect". First episode set it up from the very first few seconds, and the forced flashbacks don't count as development. The hilarious thing is how they spent the entire second half of the second episode repeating again and again that Medaka is actually a human(because if you repeat something often enough it must be true!). I am sorry to break this to you all but perfect people don't exist and if they did they would be boring as hell. Since the show is based on such ridiculous premise most everything about it comes as celebration of its main character's awesomeness. I hate that. I also doubt anything will change, given how the show just loves to throw in tactically placed exposition flashbacks instead of letting characters develop naturally. Oh wait, silly me, almost forgot most obvious part. Need to be more careful with oxymorons.
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Oh my, the second episode. But before I throw my 2-cents I have to make clear just what is so damn horrible about this show since it seems I wasn't clear the last time. So why does it fail so miserable to engage or make me care about it? Because the main character Medaka is undeveloped and so damn annoyingly "perfect". First episode set it up from the very first few seconds, and the forced flashbacks don't count as development. The hilarious thing is how they spent the entire second half of the second episode repeating again and again that Medaka is actually a human(because if you repeat something often enough it must be true!). I am sorry to break this to you all but perfect people don't exist and if they did they would be boring as hell. Since the show is based on such ridiculous premise most everything about it comes as celebration of its main character's awesomeness. I hate that. I also doubt anything will change, given how the show just loves to throw in tactically placed exposition flashbacks instead of letting characters develop naturally. Oh wait, silly me, almost forgot most obvious part. Need to be more careful with oxymorons.

You just summed up the entire point of the series. The author agrees with you, and it's not subtle either. Zenkichi does lots of exposition, but it's important to remember that he's biased. He's Medaka's dog: he even says so in the next episode preview. He says he understands her the best, but it's quite clear that even he doesn't understand her very well. Does anyone understand her? Can anyone understand her? And conversely, can she understand anyone else? That's also in doubt. They make jokes about it, but Medaka is pretty messed up psychologically. The opposite of "human" isn't "boring" though. It's "inhuman".

All this and more to be explored in future poorly-placed flashbacks. Well, that's perfection for you: always out of reach.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: you are not on the wavelength of this show. Your obsession with, "but it's not realistic how perfect she is!" shows you don't understand what this show is putting out. Stop watching. This show deserves a less clued out audience.
4750G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
I for one love characters who are seemingly perfect, much like Medaka. However, that's not even the reason why I watch the show. It just works for me, that's all. It's impossible for anyone to be perfect. Even in fiction. Medaka just seems perfect now, but there's a loose screw there somewhere. I've seen plenty of "perfect" anime characters to know that there isn't.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
I for one love characters who are seemingly perfect, much like Medaka. However, that's not even the reason why I watch the show. It just works for me, that's all. It's impossible for anyone to be perfect. Even in fiction. Medaka just seems perfect now, but there's a loose screw there somewhere. I've seen plenty of "perfect" anime characters to know that there isn't.

*gasp!* You mean you are willing to wait more than two eppies to see how a character plays out? Hey, do you mind sending Hentai_JP a memo about that?

By the way, nothing drives me more crazy than anime fans whining about a lack of "character development." News flash: anime rarely provides true character development at all. Generally, how it works is we are introduced to characters and the people they are at the beginning of the series is pretty much who they are at the end. At best, characters undergo a very simplistic development: i.e. a cowardly character may be brave by the end. Or we may learn backstory details that shed light on why a character is the way he/she is. But TRUE character development? Yeah, go for serious literature if that's what you're looking for. Anime's great strength is (normally) giving us fairly simple characters we are interested in following and putting them in interesting situations.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Seems to be alot of grumpy behaviour lately, maybe I should not have read that one thread of a recent release with fighting.

To be completly honest I love me some flaws, but I also find a someone being seemingly "perfect" actually makes them flawed, which gives them the trait of flawed character. That sounds kind of dumb, but there is something there. I want to see if their idea is having her so high up that she does not realise what is right in front of her (like the sneakers being stollen with a supposed insulting letter) which is a type of naivity similar to Erza Scarlet, or the type that has an extra gooey center with a super defence mechanism like Ryouko Ookami.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Seems to be alot of grumpy behaviour lately...

I'M NOT GRUMPY, YOU DEPLORABLE FILTH-BAG!!! Wink
4750G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
...but I also find a someone being seemingly "perfect" actually makes them flawed, which gives them the trait of flawed character. That sounds kind of dumb, but there is something there.

I get what you mean, it doesn't sound dumb at all. Perfection is in a different perspective a flaw, because if someone's perfect, there's basically no room for growth, and if in the long run someone better comes, which is often the case, that "perfect" character will just get devastated. I don't think that's the case for Medaka's character though, since it has been shown that no one can beat her. But still, just because she's unparalleled in everything she does (thus her perfection), that does not mean she does not have flaws. I mean they keep insisting that in the show, with all this "she's human after all" shiz happening.
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Of course she's not human, she's a monster. Her flaws, if you can call them that, are that she's too strong, too kind, too smart. Too strong for others to not fear, too kind to understand the weakness of others, too smart to not be an idiot (not sure I get that one). The flaws of other "perfect" characters are not her flaws. Lack of room improvement? Hardly. She masters new arts as easily as others breathe. Fear of there being someone even better? Of course not. She'd be delighted to meet someone better than her, as that would merely prove her worldview right, that she's not special and that anyone could achieve what she does. She's a being that's never lived a human life, never had a human experience, never felt a human feeling.

If you're disgusted by her effortless success, embrace that feeling.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh gee... I think I'll defend my point of view again, because its unpopular yet very valid and especially since Blood- can only thinks in one dimension now.

@Clarste I see where you are going with "understanding" idea, but honestly, this is not something a show so light on depth can ponder about. Its an interesting question however. So, can others understand her? Don't know that, her sidekick certainly can't but the little girl with ahoge is giving some hope. Although both the little girl and Medaka show great insight into the problems others people have making the whole thing very ambiguous. Obviously knowing and understanding something is very different but the show really tries to push Medaka as an all-knowing AND understanding character which is big part of her 'perfection'. Anyway I don't want to get into philosophy of this all since this show clearly doesn't deserve to be it's subject. Oh and I didn't say that opposite of "human" is "boring". You must have misread that.

Some of you said that Medaka just 'seems perfect' yet in all my, considerable I might add, anime viewing I have not come across any character giving off such strong image of perfection. Just look at her - super popular, amazing martial artist, possesses incredible insight in human psychology, very caring and affectionate and forgiving, I don't really care for her looks but hey, everyone likes her in the school... Well isn't she just a sweetheart? Oh wait, you might say, she isn't perfect, she doesn't understand her best friend and makes silly naive misses! And she is not good with animals! Awww... Well, bullshit. First point contradicts her already established character (yes she knows AND understands), and animals, oh please gimme a break.

And finally, lets get to the elephant in the room. Blood-,dude, I am not clued out nor am I "not on the same wavelength" as to what the show tries to do. It's trying very hard with its set-up to be a dramedy, and the shows like these need to connect with viewers which is why we have all those annoying flashbacks designed to get us to care ultimately leading to one or the other form of drama. Also pointing out the MAJOR flaw of the series doesn't mean I am hating on it for what it is, I just hate it's character and how the show is forcing things on viewer. Also, I can't believe this, but Blood- the anime as a genre has a lot of series with character development. I can say this because I value genre of "drama"(as in in-depth understanding, development and character interactions) the most important by far. Sure not all the series have it, and very few really go on in-depth, but not all need high level of development either. Yet if they set on doing it, they better do a good job at setting the characters and handling everything in the right fashion. Another big part of any series is the suspension of disbelief. Medaka is simply not fit to be so shallow in the series so focused on viewers level of affection towards the cast. She is the heart of the damn series and if we have something like that at it's core... well there is your problem. As I see it now, at the very best this show has a really bad start, but perhaps the side characters can carry this thing in the end. After all, in the OreImo I hate Kirino and to lesser extent her doormat brother, yet I absolutely love Kuroneko and that is why I watched the show. Funnily I watched Guilty Crown just for Inori, but I digress.

Oh and don't worry Blood- I'll be watching this and coming back here for as long as I like to. And granted that I have learnt Medaka Box will soon shift its gears to become spoiler[a crappy fighting anime] I am very much looking forward to see how it turns out and whether my expectations get answered.

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 18