• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 80s Part II: You've Got To Have Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dengart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked to see Patlabor (either the first movie or the ova) on more of the lists. The second movie may have been released in the 90s but the plot was very similar to episodes 5-6 of the OVA. And Oshii directed or produced both.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
dengart wrote:
I would have liked to see Patlabor (either the first movie or the ova) on more of the lists. The second movie may have been released in the 90s but the plot was very similar to episodes 5-6 of the OVA. And Oshii directed or produced both.

Yeah, I don't get why people might criticize the second film for going too far away from action when it mirrors those episodes exactly. Really the movie feels more like if Oshii too that concept and expanded it into 110 minute film, many of the same concepts and themes show up, as well as actions taken by characters. Both films are a natural progression from the OVA.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
You know, a list of the shows mentioned would be very useful. I head of a show I might be interested in, but I forgot what it was called.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You know, a list of the shows mentioned would be very useful. I head of a show I might be interested in, but I forgot what it was called.

I endeavor to be of service

timeldred wrote:
One more thing: rather than resenting the fact that none of us put your fave in our top ten, howsabout being thankful that four people with a lot of viewing experience have tipped you off to a WHOLE BUNCH of titles that you might like? No one should ever dismiss an invitation to widen their world.

That's what some people did want and got out of this exercise. Unfortunately, that doesn't make people angry or insecure, so fewer people are likely to share that reaction than are those who identify so strongly with what entertains them that they need to condemn and delegitimze anybody who threatens that sense of identity by not validating it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Darn you Tim Eldred for listing a whole bunch of shows I haven't even heard of and now am watching. I have to say, I'm a big fan of VOTOMS, and for some reason thought it was the only thing Takahashi did that was worth note. Now I've got Galient and Dougram. (Granted I forgot that you didn't give Dougram a glowing review, but I'm enjoying it so far. Then again I'm probably one of the few people who liked Gasaraki, even if it was a mess.)

Anyways, thanks for the show, and I'm looking forward to the 90s show, and discovering some more new stuff. (Well at least new to me.)

As far as the sexism in DYRL, I wonder if it's like the sexism in James Bond movies. It's there, and definitely not cool, but it's a product of its time and place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5