• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - FUNi Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Once again, I missed getting a chance to ask a question, and it's the same one I didn't ask when Lance and Adam were on the podcast last time. Late last year, FUNimation reissued all of the Dragon Ball Z movies through the three movie box sets. However, The History of Trunks and Bardock the Father of Goku specials still have not been reissued. Are there any plans to reissue these specials that you are at liberty to discuss, or are the releases that already exist the only way for Dragon Ball Z fans to acquire these titles for the foreseeable future?

If you have the 3 movie boxsets, just pick up the remastered Trunks/Bardock Double Feature, and you're good to go! Smile

getchman wrote:
so, American voice actors were hired by Animax? that's interesting

Yes, Animax has produced many dozens of English dubs over the years in SouthEast Asia, including many titles that have been dubbed into English over here (such as Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ranma 1/2, Sgt. Frog, K-ON!, Dragon Ball, Fairy Tail, Cardcaptor Sakura, a couple Gundam series, and Eureka Seven). They've also done English dubs for shows that DON'T have English dubs over here like Emma, Hayate the Combat Butler, and a few others. They have (had?) many networks all around the world (notably in India, Hong Kong, and Singapore), and it was was cheaper to make their own English dubs instead of importing American dubs (although they have for a few shows, such as Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, the Inuyasha movies, Naruto, and Bleach).

Quote:
I hope, but don't really expect, that Lupin II - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine will do well enough to be licensed for home video. I would really like to see it with better video quality and any English dub. (I stand by my believe that Colleen Clinkenbeard would be a very good fit for the lead)

I hope they would get back as much of the original FUNimation cast as possible, especially Meredith McCoy as Fujiko. The only one I can see not returning is Phillip Wilburn as Zenigata, but you never know (they did get back some long-gones for Yu Yu Hakusho). Meredith McCoy came back for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (for one character at least), but not for Dragon Ball Z Kai. I found it very painful listening to somebody else voicing Android 18 (who's been one of my all-time favorite animated characters since I was 7), and even though I slightly preferred Michelle Ruff as Fujiko, I've always loved Meredith, and while I like Colleen too, Meredith needs more work. She was a great talent, and I'd love to hear her in more stuff.

If they DO unfortunately have/want to pick somebody else, make it somebody new. I'm sick of hearing Colleen's voice in practically every anime that's been dubbed in the past couple years. Jamie Marchi wouldn't be bad, but her voice is nearly identical to Colleen's. Maybe Stephanie Young? Luci Christian could work, but again, she's been in practically everything lately. If they really want to try something new, then Cynthia Cranz would be a good pick. She's usually been type-cast in mother roles in the past several years, but she can definitely pull off a character like Fujiko. It's nice to mix things up once in a while. It's almost gotten to the point where FUNimation not only casts the same voice actors in practically everything, but the voice actors are being cast in eerily similar roles as well.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
I've waited 2 years for Shana news, so it's good to get *some* news (albeit not much).
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
This was a cool podcast. I hope to hear them again in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5