• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why did you choose your first manga in particular?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGonspy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The first one I remember purchasing was Dragon Ball, way back when it was being released as a comic book of two chapters. I can't even remember how long ago that was, but I still remember the trouble I had with reading it in its flipped format since at the time I had only ever read American comics.

I still have every single issue of that run though, and it'll always be a special series to me. Even if the main draw of the first issue had to do with a joke about dragon testicles.
JGonspy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Double post error...

Last edited by JGonspy on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eerane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was Naruto. And Im proud of it! I love Naruto! Very Happy

But I watched lots of anime before that, Dragon Ball Z and FLCL and Gundam and Sailor Moon ect...
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was Fushigi Yugi. A friend of mine had received a catalog in the mail from Viz and her mom ordered the first dubbed VHS tape. We watched it and fell in love. That was back in 1998. I bought the first volume of manga shortly after.. in the horrible Animerca Extra versions. I remember being so floored with the idea of a girl going back in time to China that it was love at first sight. And it didn't help that Watase's character designs were gorgeous for its time.
PaperbagKisses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Hi all

My first was Ouran High School Host club, because after watching the original anime I discovered that they had a manga (I'm a Western girl) and I just couldn't help myself, thus sparking the heavy buying of other such mangas.

But I fell in love with Skip Beat and Nana, amazing reads.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I choose .hack//Legend of the Twilight because my friend told me it was pretty good and I thought the concept of a story based on events in a video game was pretty cool. I really liked the manga (please don't kill me Very Happy ) and then getting the first volume of Naruto a month later and then got introduced to Yotsuba&! (one of my all-time favourite series).. and the rest is history!
Hiro94

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
My first manga Was Rourni Kenshin.i thought the cover looked cool.lol
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
i spelled it wrong lol.

{Mod says: You need to read the rules lol. - abunai}
cyberia_knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Mine was Vagabond, By that time I was watching a lot of Anime so I was not to interested in Manga. Until someone recommend me Vagabond and I have not stop reading Manga since then.
Rocky3535

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote
Mine was Berserk. Awesome story about it too. We had just been displaced because of Katrina to a little town in Western Louisiana. A real farmy area with like one store and one gas station. The nearest McDonalds was literally 45 minutes to an hour away.
I've always been into anime but never got into manga. Well there was literally nothing to do in this town and we had nothing to keep us occupied. So we went to the general store to get some food. In the back of the store was a barrel full of VHS tapes and DVDs. Within this barrel was 2 volumes of The Big O , The entire series of Silent Mobius , and the entire series of Berserk. Suffice it to say i was kind of like.......huh? I didn't know much of either series , but i knew of the Big O from Cartoon Network. So since i had nothing else to do i just bought them all. Two Volumes of The Big O , The entire series of Silent Mobius, and the entire series of Berserk.....................for $26.....and these were NOT pre-owned.
I actually enjoyed Silent Mobius , but totally loved Berserk. And as we all know......if you watch the entire Berserk series untill the end....you are left in a state of awe like me and a burning desrie to read whatever happened next. And i've been reading it ever since.....hands down best manga ever
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
i am a huge fan of fushigi yuugi, and i loved the series so much and one day i was browsing youtube for some fushigi yugi amv and i suddenly saw this video called "Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden" and just realized that theres a new manga for fushigi yuugi(not a anime/manga collector at the time). and thats how i got my first manga
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
The first manga I ever read... my university library [melbourne uni rowden white] had a decent collection of manga donated by the uni anime club.

Mind, this was back in the late 90s, so we've got a lot of obscure stuff, most of it [justly] out of print by now: Outlanders, Pixy Junket, Mai the Psychic Girl, Appleseed, Patlabor, BAOH...

... come to think of it, the actual first one I picked up might actually have been Urusei Yatsura. Golly.
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
The first manga i read was Love Hina, I had heard much about it from a friend and had been considering giving it a try. I was traveling to South America, which involves a 5 and a 2 hour flight with nothing to do. So i stopped by a book store and bought a couple of volumes along with a book for entertainment.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was Shirow's Appleseed, way back in the late 1980's (published then by the now defunct Eclipse Comics). It was the artwork that appealed to me initially, very gritty & dark compared to all the Marvel stuff that I was reading at the time.
PirateKitty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was .hack//Legend of the Twilight. I was a big fan of the games at the time and had never even heard of manga. I used to really like it but now I think it's terrible.
My actual first manga was one of the old individual issues of Pokemon I didn't realize at the time that it wasn't just a normal American comic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7