• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Streams Code Geass on YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Perhaps, in the case of the internet, I could envision a process where all internet distribution rights were always global. But, in that case, what company in Japan would ever license those rights to anyone? They could get undercut in THEIR OWN MARKET, by whatever company they licensed to, through the internet. So such a rule would do nothing but actually encourage companies to never license anything to anyone else.

That's simple. They wouldn't have to involve anyone else in that situation. The only need for region licence would be for region language dubbing, and DVD sales, that could be when ever the studio feels like doing that, if ever. Anime has become a global entertainment business, and if those Japanese companies want to survive they need to operate like a global entertainment business. In short they need to up sync with the 21st Century, and become fansubbers themselves with a way to make money off of that. It's the main reason they're plagued with piracy and the only sure way to fight against it.

I started to say there's no real solution to this, because fragmenting the rights would be too strongly resisted (i.e., Japan or U.S. distributors subbing and streaming past the potential regional DVD licensees). Thinking through this while typing, though, it shouldn't matter too much. The non-U.S. markets are not that large, and streaming could act as free marketing, at worst. The licensing fees for regional DVDs would have to come down, in exchange for the licensee foregoing Internet rights (though they could also participate in some way in those rights).

The key would be convincing the regional DVD guys that they can still make enough money on DVDs to not care about the streams being broadcast early without their participation. Someone has to pay and get paid for every commercial product, including netcasts. If they think, or know, that their sales will suffer from the show having already been "broadcast" in high quality before they can produce DVDs, then their incentive to license is lost. There goes the regional DVD business, unless dubs alone really can support it.

If they don't have numbers on the important variables, this will take a long, long time to argue out. If they could be confident in knowing about how many people would watch a stream and still buy a DVD, then the financials could be projected and licensing costs, etc, adjusted as necessary or some other form of compensation devised.

Better yet, if I were a licensee, I would be researching and running numbers on how to participate in the streaming up front, with an option to license for DVD. Get the Japanese to agree that some shows may never warrant a local DVD release, and treat the netcast like TV, just add a local sub provided by the licensee--it's a separate channel that can be used to make a little money and to validate the market for a DVD release.

That's just quick thoughts. I'm sure if some industry people put their heads to it, this could be resolved fairly quickly and turn a crappy situation for fans into an income opportunity.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I still feel Bandai Entertainment could have made a better decision. By using Youtube, I believe they cannot use streamed advertisements. Therefore they can only expect to earn back the money they spend through an increase in their DVD sales, thus they ought only to pay for streaming rights in their own country.
If some system of localised advertisements was used, Bandai Ent. could earn back the extra amount charged for streaming to other regions whilst still boosting their own DVD sales. Perhaps it could even provide a large enough fanbase for Bandai subsidiaries who do not own the rights to CG to consider releasing the DVDs themselves, similar to what pparker mentions.

I myself wouldn't exclusively blame Japan here. They may be charging the streaming fees in the first place, but since CG DVDs are already available outside of Japan they cannot adopt the system Gonzo are using on CR, for their actions could affect other companies who already own DVD rights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to watch CG for a while now, so when I saw this I thought "Great! I can watch it legally!" But oh no, it's US locked and there's no R2 subbed DVDS. Back to the original plan then...stupid Bandai, you've just lost yourself a customer Razz
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I've been wanting to watch CG for a while now, so when I saw this I thought "Great! I can watch it legally!" But oh no, it's US locked and there's no R2 subbed DVDS. Back to the original plan then...stupid Bandai, you've just lost yourself a customer Razz

Well, technically, you cannot be a customer anyways since there's no local DVDs you could buy and the Youtube broadcast is free anyways, so unless you're willing to import DVDs, you can't buy anything. Laughing
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
...I myself wouldn't exclusively blame Japan here. They may be charging the streaming fees in the first place, but since CG DVDs are already available outside of Japan they cannot adopt the system Gonzo are using on CR, for their actions could affect other companies who already own DVD rights.

Yeah, I got a little off point looking at the future, but unless they already have some agreement in place, there's no reason Japan couldn't individually sell the CG streaming rights for other regions regardless of DVD deals. Like you say, Bandai could take them, or one of the regional licensees. They wouldn't have to produce new subs or dubs even, for English-speaking areas, just pay a fee to Bandai for their version (unless that doesn't fly with fans). I am not in the business and don't understand how it all works today, but between a producer and a large enough audience, there is always a way to monetize distribution.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
There is no logical reason whatsoever why Canada should be locked out of viewing this. If there is, then I certainly hope that they have a lengthy explanation available to the public by Monday. Nobody owns the broadcast or streaming rights to the series in Canada, so there can't be any conflict with that, and extra bandwidth can't possibly be a concern on freaking YouTube of all services.

This can't possibly be anything but laziness on the part of the company, since not even Bandai's traditional sense of overprotectionism holds up here. I hope that the complaints about the lack of Canadian access aren't lost among all of the other region-blocking complaints. Yes, it is unfortunate, but it's going to take a long time for any company to be able to cut through all of that international red tape.

you want to know why Canada is restricted?

simple Canada has been a thorn in the US's copyrights side for decades on the internet because the copyright laws in canada include ones right to send a friend or family a copy of a product without being in infringement of copyright.

this blocking is another attempt to force canada to submit to US laws which is a direct attack on the country's sovereignty.

if you really want to see US content on youtube simply use a proxy your better off than if they decide to change canadian law just to get a few streams or releases because you wont ever be faced with a law suite for loading music onto a private device which actually is illegal according to US law and you wont need to worry about the RCMP knocking down your door because you sent a friend a CD online.

the biggest problem with copyrights that will never be made a legal issue is format changes by the industry forcing us to repurchase products we already owned in another format.
as you get older like myself you will have owned large numbers of different format entertainment.

example is as a teen I owned well over a thousand records then about the same number of Cassette tapes and later far more CD's
now I download MP3's because a large number of bands i like when i was young have not changed so i'll be buying the same product for the fourth and some cases fifth time same can be said of movies we see them in theaters then it was BETA >VHS>DVD>Blue Ray.

so the question is having owned tens of thousand of songs over the years if I download the same music for free I should not be legally infringing on copyright laws because i already payed for the right to that product and the person making that product available is not breaching the copyrights if the receiver has already owned the product previously. in other words copy rights online should have a lifespan of no more than a year or two during initial sales period then become free of prosecution.

As long as the entertainment industry doesn't understand people are fed up with always needing to repurchase the same products because they keep changing formats they will not get the majority to care if copyrights are tossed aside online.

but lets use another example: let's say you own legally a few thousand songs bought online! you get a virus on your computer and it wipes your hard drive. unfortunately according to the US laws as they are currently you would be breaching copyright laws if you backed up your files including that music and reloaded them onto your computer after reformatting in canada it is not illegal to make that backup disc believe me you really don't want to force canadian law to follow US laws.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, Canada's fair dealing/trade laws or whatever are decidedly vague. I tried reading over them and I couldn't make sense of them despite the fact that I can usually make sense of a given law. So I can see how these companies would be hesitant to air something online in a country where the trade laws are ill-defined.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
To be fair, Canada's fair dealing/trade laws or whatever are decidedly vague. I tried reading over them and I couldn't make sense of them despite the fact that I can usually make sense of a given law. So I can see how these companies would be hesitant to air something online in a country where the trade laws are ill-defined.

Are you seriously suggesting that Bandai is blocking Canada because they are afraid that Canadian citizens might use legal loopholes in Canadian law to _rip youtube streams_ and back them up or send them to a friend?

Bandai isn't that ignorant, I sure hope.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

if your talking NAFTA yes they are vague and that was canadas mistake signing something the US made up that could be so easily abused (softwood lumber tariffs, water rights...etc) NAFTA cost canada 1.5 billion dollars on the softwood issue just because the US decided they wanted to kill canadian lumber mill's the money is nothing compared to the 18 major mills permanently closed because the US tossed on 32% tariffs onto softwood for a couple years completely ignoring the contract law which made those tariffs illegal.
even after more than 15 NAFTA court judgments against the tariffs it took bribing the US with 1.5 billion dollars and leaving the mills closed to get back to normal trade. which no longer is normal trade since the US gets raw lumber for its mills and Canada gets less money for it as raw lumber instead of milled lumber.

until canadian producers stop thinking the only place to sell products is the US and start to actually make international contracts overseas they will continue to be dependent on the whims of the US government which seems to be turning to another protectionist era which does not bode well for trade issues in the near future.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
The long and short of it is, though that this has done nothing to not convince me that I am right in keeping what Fansubbed CG material I have (nevermind the fact that the amount of CG materaial I have is none) and if anything encourages me to continue on my merry way flouting two middle fingers to Jhoney Socko Bandai Law.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

if your talking NAFTA yes they are vague and that was canadas mistake signing something the US made up that could be so easily abused (softwood lumber tariffs, water rights...etc) NAFTA cost canada 1.5 billion dollars on the softwood issue just because the US decided they wanted to kill canadian lumber mill's the money is nothing compared to the 18 major mills permanently closed because the US tossed on 32% tariffs onto softwood for a couple years completely ignoring the contract law which made those tariffs illegal.
even after more than 15 NAFTA court judgments against the tariffs it took bribing the US with 1.5 billion dollars and leaving the mills closed to get back to normal trade. which no longer is normal trade since the US gets raw lumber for its mills and Canada gets less money for it as raw lumber instead of milled lumber.

until canadian producers stop thinking the only place to sell products is the US and start to actually make international contracts overseas they will continue to be dependent on the whims of the US government which seems to be turning to another protectionist era which does not bode well for trade issues in the near future.

Since when did this become a question of NAFTA and lumber trade? This seems pretty off-topic to me.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I still feel Bandai Entertainment could have made a better decision. By using Youtube, I believe they cannot use streamed advertisements. Therefore they can only expect to earn back the money they spend through an increase in their DVD sales, thus they ought only to pay for streaming rights in their own country.
If some system of localised advertisements was used, Bandai Ent. could earn back the extra amount charged for streaming to other regions whilst still boosting their own DVD sales. Perhaps it could even provide a large enough fanbase for Bandai subsidiaries who do not own the rights to CG to consider releasing the DVDs themselves, similar to what pparker mentions.

they make money from share advertisement revenue that post by youtube in bandait channel.
just like Kadokawa Gets Over 10 Million Yen Monthly from YouTube.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-03/kadokawa-gets-over-10-million-yen-monthly-from-youtube
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Since when did this become a question of NAFTA and lumber trade? This seems pretty off-topic to me.

actually the discussion turned to why bandai has used regional blocking although region1 is USA/Canada they limited viewing to only the US region this is directly why an explanation of international relations between canada and the US needs clarifying because they do directly affect how some treaties will be handled internationally. NAFTA also includes entertainment trade and should force bandai to open the streams to canada but thats not the case because bandai is amongst a group of companies that deal in the US trying to exclude Canada because of Canada's interpretation of copyright laws in other words they are forcing the issue so that Canada will change their laws to suite their wants.

personally i'm against being blackmailed into conformity let bandai suffer as more people simply bypass their regional blocks because theres 6 billion people in the world its not up to 300 million to force their laws on the rest of us!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
they make money from share advertisement revenue that post by youtube in bandait channel.

If Youtube itself can earn Bandai Ent. advertising revenue for every viewing of one of their videos, then they already have the means to offer streaming to other countries whilst still earning money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:

actually the discussion turned to why bandai has used regional blocking although region1 is USA/Canada they limited viewing to only the US region this is directly why an explanation of international relations between canada and the US needs clarifying because they do directly affect how some treaties will be handled internationally. NAFTA also includes entertainment trade and should force bandai to open the streams to canada but thats not the case because bandai is amongst a group of companies that deal in the US trying to exclude Canada because of Canada's interpretation of copyright laws in other words they are forcing the issue so that Canada will change their laws to suite their wants.

personally i'm against being blackmailed into conformity let bandai suffer as more people simply bypass their regional blocks because theres 6 billion people in the world its not up to 300 million to force their laws on the rest of us!

So stick to that part of it, lumber and whatever else has nothing to do with this. Also, I'd like to know where you get the idea that Bandai is part of some sort of conspiracy to change Canadian laws. I really doubt if there is some sort of sinister desire at Bandai to "blackmail" anyone.

Zin5ki wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

If Youtube itself can earn Bandai Ent. advertising revenue for every viewing of one of their videos, then they already have the means to offer streaming to other countries whilst still earning money.

Even if they can afford to, there is still the issue of their hands being tied by current licensing laws. If they were legally allowed to stream everywhere, I'm sure they would, but they can't. Sure it would be better if this changed, but the North American branch of Bandai can't ignore it's legal obligations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7