• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Now that's more like it. She grew up to be rather sexy and arrogant, and now we have male characters. But whyyyyy in the world to include that brat. Seriously, how can you be facing death and destruction on a daily basis and still keep a retarded attitude like that? And let's not talk about age, because she's clearly experienced. If this show really wanted some realism they'd have made her more like a child soldier like the boy from Jormungand.

Whining aside, episodes 1 and 2 were really unnecessary. They would've worked better as flashbacks. But if anything, they at least make the Japanese girl sexier.

dtm42 wrote:
That's because most of the pre-teen boys here know about the concept of taking cover from Call of Duty [...]

I can only imagine.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I would to see if the possibility of biological warfare will come into play, it seems like the obvious hopeful plan over what the enemy can do. Maybe they are too advanced or something, but it would be good to see it addressed.

I also had that in mind, but insects are one of the most resilient things when it comes to that. I'm not even sure how much nuclear radiation is required to kill those things, but I'm guessing that post-explosion radiation isn't enough. If anything, they should have invited Raid into weapon development. Laughing

Last edited by egoist on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
I want to ask a question. Of the characters we just met in episode 3, we have had 1 episode to develop them. Same with the characters in episode 1. spoiler[If someone wanted to pack a shocking emotional punch behind their deaths, do you think episode 2 delivered more than you would feel than if all these new folks bit it in episode 4? For me, the answer is no, which is what I meant when I said that episode 1 didn't actually do what it was supposed to do. I wonder of other folks agree.]
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
No. Episode one had little girls, this time we have a sexy Swedish lady whose boobs I'd be shocked to lose. They can get rid of the brat though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I want to ask a question. Of the characters we just met in episode 3, we have had 1 episode to develop them. Same with the characters in episode 1. spoiler[If someone wanted to pack a shocking emotional punch behind their deaths, do you think episode 2 delivered more than you would feel than if all these new folks bit it in episode 4? For me, the answer is no, which is what I meant when I said that episode 1 didn't actually do what it was supposed to do. I wonder of other folks agree.]

I agree with your point, but I'm also glad they didn't go that route. I don't relish spoiler[having characters I basically like get wiped out right away,] so I think the show handled it properly. The whole point of the first two episodes was to establish Japanese chick's isolation and headspace. What they did more than adequately achieved that for me.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I can do without most of these new pilots. Bratty characters like Chobi are possibly the most overused archetype in mecha and quasi-mecha series; if her training flight against the two silver-haired girls had happened later in the episode instead of at the beginning, I would have been rooting for the mecha she was fighting to have live ammunition. Although I like the look of the Swedish chick, I don't like the voice that her VA uses for the character; it lacks character. The Italian pilot is a little better, but they're going to have to work harder for me to buy him as the playboy type.

All-in-all, I need to see something better to keep me watching. It's got 1-2 more episodes to impress me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'm the only one who thought the Gurkha girl was cute. Maybe it's just a case of everything being new and exciting to everyone at some point in their life.

More on topic, the Swede and MC seem to work well as a team and VGMacaroni seems like he'd do well if he had a cooperative teammate. It'll be interesting to get a real sense of how Yui's changed since her first sortie.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I'm kinda partial to brats myself, so you are not alone.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Eh, the bratty kid got on my nerves and annoyed me throughout the whole episode. She doesn't captivate me at all and if she remains that way throughout the whole side, it will annoy me more.

How come no one's talking about the two fine Russian ladies? They were pretty hot; I really did their character designs. I guess I'm really attracted to white/silver hair in anime.

The one thing that did bother me this episode was Yui's remark at the end. I didn't seem to quite understand but reading through several Muv Luv threads gave me an answer but it didn't strike me as reasonable. I guess it's just there to create drama between Yuuya and Yui.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I think some of the antagonism between Yui and Yuuya/the Imperials and the US spoiler[is that after Kyoto fell. US Forces Japan basically went, "screw this, we're going home" (i.e. breaking the defense treaty) ostensibly to prevent BETA attacks from Europe. This action was treated in MLA by objective observers as correct since the BETA offensive in the East was winding down. But apparently a lot of Japanese saw it as a betrayal. ]
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
LordByron227 wrote:
I think some of the antagonism in the series between the spoiler[Imperials and the US is that after Kyoto fell. US Forces Japan basically went, "screw this, we're going home" (i.e. breaking the defense treaty) ostensibly to prevent BETA attacks from Europe. This action was treated in MLA by objective observers as correct since the BETA offensive in the East was winding down. But apparently a lot of Japanese saw it as a betrayal. ]

In other words, something that the series has yet to get around to explaining. (I also found it interesting that Japan was mentioned as a fallen country when it clearly wasn't yet at the end of episode 2.) I certainly hope that the series does get around to explaining that, because I also thought that Yui's comment at the end seemed to come out of nowhere.

And dtm42: Look at the time frame. Call of Duty didn't exist yet at that point. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByron227

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
@ Key

Yea...we're prolly gonna have a lot of this infodump in the future epis. since Idk if they enough screen time to explain of the back story.

Razz :shrugs:
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
One thing that you should never expect in mecha is where only battle hardened and calculating adults are in combat situations, that only occurs in Ryousuke Takahashi anime, otherwise enjoy your teens. Even 08th MS Team, Unicorn, 0083, and the new Code Geass mostly feature older teenagers or greenhorns. At least this anime has the excuse that the older forces are either already engaged or dead, but I agree on the somewhat cliche personalities. Although that's hard to prevent when it's based off a game with sexin' time, you get those remnants ingrained upon all further installments, just like Gundam cannot escape certain cliches in its various stories.

I just hope there's heavy emphasis on the technical: the mecha, the combat, the training, the weaponry. I know the games and other media do that, but this anime should as well. I also hope it sells big so the trilogy can get produced. The pre-orders seem to be doing fine, just under Horizon. This anime in particular assumes much of its viewers in the way of background information, and even if it isn't fully explaining on screen, it's kind of cool knowing there's such a vast history already built up in the world. That's like when you jump into something like the Lord of the Rings films, you get a brief history pertaining to what's important for the plot, but the world is vast and much has already occurred. Info dumps are nice when they can worked in without stalling progress, like the history episodes in Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Although I doubt this anime will have 2-3 episodes to devote solely on lectures.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first 3 episodes because my friend told me to watch it. I didn't watch it before because I assumed this was going to be another Horizon based on the picture. Good thing I was wrong, as I like these type of animes.

EmbraceMe wrote:

How come no one's talking about the two fine Russian ladies? They were pretty hot; I really did their character designs. I guess I'm really attracted to white/silver hair in anime.

Agreed hence my name Smile
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
LordByron227 wrote:
I think some of the antagonism between Yui and Yuuya/the Imperials and the US spoiler[is that after Kyoto fell. US Forces Japan basically went, "screw this, we're going home" (i.e. breaking the defense treaty) ostensibly to prevent BETA attacks from Europe. This action was treated in MLA by objective observers as correct since the BETA offensive in the East was winding down. But apparently a lot of Japanese saw it as a betrayal. ]

Yuuya's actually my favorite Muv Luv character, next to Yuuko ( I ship her with Shu Shirakawa from SRW. Both competely amazing scientists and masters at the profession of trolling. Crack pairing, I know, but it's awesome.)

I like Yuuya because he's a mechaphile and because he's somewhat of a self-race hating ass initially.

He grows out of it though. Eventually. Can't remember when it happens though.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Quote:

Agreed hence my name Smile

I'm not doing it because, frankly, the girl who alternates between being childish and a psycho has practically become a cliche in anime over the past few years, and it seems to most commonly happen in mecha series. I'm just as tired of that archetype as I am most of the rest of the pilots.

At least the theme song still kicks major butt, and it's even better with with what I presume will be the season-long graphics. It's unquestionably my favorite opener of the season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 26