• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-03-25

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
He was off to a great start, but ultimately he got too nervous. I remember when I was in line for Travis Willingham's authograph in 2004 and I began to speak to a female full metal Alchemist fan. Very polite and had plenty to say. Because the line took about two hours, she told me she liked video games, Tenchi Muyo and reading manga. But because we were both gamers, we had plenty to speak about game wise as well.

And then there was the very wise female friend I knew who introduced me into manga. She told me Love Hina was a hiliarious, but well written manga. But she aslo said it's a manga most guys could enjoy. Though I thanked her then( twice I think) I wish I could thank her again for getting me into manga. Over the last five years, I've read some awesome stories.

I am not sure if that was a manga cow or a person just sleeping there though. My guess is a manga cow though.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Poor Kevin. Should have just kept it simple and handed her a title and not spoken much at all lol. And someone must have tipped over the manga cow causing it to pass out until jarred awake by Kevin heh.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
In addition to the hilarious sleeping guy, which is sadly not inaccurate, I feel like I unfortunately do the same thing as our unfortunate protagonist sometimes. I want to just be like "Yeah, you should check it out" but it always turns into "Yeah, you should check it out.... But" and then I give a bunch of generalized information that really ends up telling you nothing about the series. Fortunately I've discovered that I do this and moved to correct the tendency.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Ah, beating up the dead horse (guy as loser) again. Guess they're trying to show us, ya shouldn't date out of your league... or race. Kidding! Razz

At least she reacted better than some girls who not only give a rejection but also even make you feel like a jerk just for daring to ask her out. I mean, that's both sad and kinda impressive (that they have that talent) at the same time. Wow. Laughing
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
In instances like this, knowledge is not power. Laughing

I think I disagree, Knowledge is power but you have to know how to use it... Kevin does not. Rhetoric classes would probably be useful for cases like this.

I never get tired of the manga cow jokes Very Happy
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ah, beating up the dead horse (guy as loser) again. Guess they're trying to show us, ya shouldn't date out of your league...

Err... considering the several people in this thread who said they related to Kevin's struggles, I would hope you're not calling them all losers. Who *hasn't* had dating troubles?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
"You might want to watch one called Please Save My Earth. It has a lot of sci-fi elements, but there's a lot of things that appeal to drama fans."

I'm no expert on pursuing love interests, but if he just used his brain for ten seconds...
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
"Father always warned me to let sleeping cows lie... or was that dogs?"

Thank you for reminding me of one of the mistakes I often make myself. Not with anime so much as with my other interests. It's amazing how quickly people lose interest when you start rambling about programming, music theory or Japanese grammar. Embarassed
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
Ah, the information load spike. Kills a first impression straight through the heart 9 out of 10 times. He should have politely asked how old her little bro. was, and what other comics he liked. Chances are Keven would have then recommended Yu-gi-oh, or Pokemon, or Naruto, or some other Shounen Jump type title for little bro's age, and left it at that. The last time I was in my local Waterstones I was asked for my opinion in just such a manner by a mother looking for her child, and I replied like wise. She was very grateful as she had a copy of Gravitation in her hand.
Lolotakun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
He's recommending Please Save My Earth? Is he nuts?? No wonder she's leaving!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:
Secondly, Kevin needs to apply the lessons he's learned from all that hentai he watches. Twisted Evil

from what i've seen, you just start raep and the women will obey you...

i DON'T think that plan would work....
It's all about an ideal display of confidence and self-esteem, with a touch of maturity and graciousness. Of course, throw in a hint of future possibility just to make the experience rewarding, and obey the golden rule of "ladies first". That's the secret for a great hookup line.

"Hello there, pretty lady. Would you mind telling me straight up just what's on your mind, before I show you how to have so much fun, you won't be getting any sleep tonight?"

Just make sure that you got the tools to back it up. Wink
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
It's all about an ideal display of confidence and self-esteem, with a touch of maturity and graciousness. Of course, throw in a hint of future possibility just to make the experience rewarding, and obey the golden rule of "ladies first". That's the secret for a great hookup line.

"Hello there, pretty lady. Would you mind telling me straight up just what's on your mind, before I show you how to have so much fun, you won't be getting any sleep tonight?"

This is the reason that even someone like me shouldn't take advice from Internet forumites.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
I've never seen someone actually sleeping in the manga aisle, but there's always a few people strategically camped out in front of whatever I came in there to look at... always!

Same here. One time I saw a guy strategically walled in a corner by an impressive castle of volumes of Death Note, FMA and Vampire Knight. It was only after I walked to an angle where I could see through a fissure of the manga tower that I realized it was a good friend of mine!

Shocked

(The greatest irony is that his name is Kevin. Laughing )
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
DomFortress wrote:

This is the reason that even someone like me shouldn't take advice from Internet forumites.
At the very least, you can always make a comeback by saying: "It's OK, I was just making a complement about how pretty you are. By the way, my name is *insert name here*."

How's that for an introduction.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
DomFortress wrote:

At the very least, you can always make a comeback by saying: "It's OK, I was just making a complement about how pretty you are. By the way, my name is *insert name here*."

How's that for an introduction.

No, no, everyone still really hopes you're joking. Laughing

That exchange may only get you a cheap slut and a crotchful of herpes, if you're lucky. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7