• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Moe Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I was going to say something as to my opinion of the reviews for this column but I'll simply state this
everyone has the right to their own opinions, whether or not someone else likes something that others hate is their own opinion
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Rednal wrote:
Hmm. I haven't watched either Air or Kanon, though I've heard a lot about them. I guess I prefer happy endings, or thereabouts.

Kanon has a happy-ish ending...

I can't belive I am actually going to say this, but in some bizare way, Kanon does have a some what happy ending. But then you could consider Shuffle's ending a reltively happy ending as well. But then again, at least Kanon isn't laden in fanservice like Shuffle is.

I only defend Kanon because of the great actors and the fact not every episode is packed with uneeded fanservice. Obvious its not the greatest series, but somehow, there is much worse. I still can't stand high doses of moe, so don't me wrong though.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Air>Clannad>Kanon

That's how it goes in my book.

Air is just more and more and more of a flawless work the more I reflect on the story and of course, re-watch it.

I have a feeling however that potentially, in the near future, it'll become Air>Clannad>Little Busters!>Kanon, provided KyoAni wants to keep making money...
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
*insert rant on still no official Kanon volume-5 release yet*

Volume 5 *did* come out, but I checked Amazon just now and apparently it's already out of print/discontinued, likely because the box set is now out. But I know it came out, we have it for rental at work. Smile
Koji98

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
*insert rant on still no official Kanon volume-5 release yet*

There was a limited run right before the series was pulled from ADV, so there are copies floating around. It's just going to be a big pain to get a hold of unless you want to over pay for it on ebay.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
@bglassbrook

You should go to Bestbuy.com. It isn't available for shipping, but if you do a store availability search, you may get lucky. Two stores relatively near me have it. If no luck, pm me and maybe we can work something out.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Case wrote:
Annf wrote:
She accidentally her whole floor?

Accidentally what?

I am sorry, but what does that mean? I can't imagine that being a moe term, because that sentence makes zero sense at all.

Maybe Bamboo knows what this means, considering she has reviewed some moe titles.

From my experience... the meme is that there is a verb missing in the sentence, and the verb is also an expletive. You're supposed to fill it in with your imagination. The only meme part is the 'accidentally' follwoed by a missing verb.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But Dai Mahou Touge is a parody of the genre, its not a magical girl show at all

I'm sorry, my fault for not being clear, I love Punie-chan and every time I try to watch a magical girl anime I'm reminded of something in Magical Witch - Punie-chan, which makes me laugh and just about destroys whatever the writer was going for. Dai Mahou Touge, to me, is a brilliant parody of both the genre and moe that portrays an incredible amount typical magical girl situations in its 8 short episodes and, also, directly addresses the issue about moe characters "growing a spine"; not depending on males. The only other one I can think of readily is Mikuru Asahina in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya, anyone who thinks she's just another big boobed bimbo wasn't paying attention.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
Air is one of those shows that... I watched it, liked the art and was interested in the story, but didn't understand it. I watched it a couple more times to try to understand it better (to partial success). The narrative in the second half is so whack, with the crow stuff, that I can't in good conscious call it the great story that it could have been (game fans, forgive me, I don't play erogames so if the game tells the story better, I don't know). I still think it's probably my favorite KEY work (Clannad was ok, I didn't like Kanon, and After Story failed to interest me), though. Maybe I should pull the show out and run through it again and see how it fares now that it's been a while and I can't remember the story well enough to explain it anymore. At least in AIR's defense, the supernatural and erogame forumla aside, the story Misuzu and her aunt's relationship is an aspect of the story that's hard to NOT appreciate.

Here's a question though... between ADV's and Funi's AIR releases, has anyone seen both? Is the video quality the same as ADV's?

tankerboy wrote:
And although I enjoyed the first Magical Lyrical Nanoha, "Dia Mahou Touge" pretty much destroyed any chance of my taking the genre seriously.
<3 Punie. But in all seriousness, if you liked Nanoha's first season I can pretty much guarentee you'll enjoy A's; the cast is better, the action is better, the plot is paced better--it's an all-around upgrade. Nanoha still does her "you gonna get befriended!" stuff, but A's is far less tiresome than the first season. Even if you didn't like the first season much you might enjoy A's--at least that's how it was for me. Just do yourself a favor and don't watch StrikerS...I wish I had listened to the people who told me not to. And while we're on the magical girl note, everyone should be watch Princess Tutu and Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu for other examples of how the genre can handle itself well.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
StrikerS wasn't that bad. It just had a completely superfluous half a series before anything actually happened.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
Well, that's true. The second half was a major improvement. However, I feel the damage was done by that halfway point. Plus, while I didn't mind the timeskip in and of itself, I hated how shafted the A's cast was in StrikerS. Vita was like the only character that came out of StrikerS with any dignity (since Vita is really awesome, that was cool, but the fact that pretty much everyone else fell into the background to be replaced by more annoying, less interesting characters didn't sit well with me).
Necrontry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
With all these good reviews I'm going to have to watch Air eventually.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I love Bamboo's reviews every week, even when I disagree with her (which isn't that often, although she is kinder to some genres than I am, and harsher on others), and this is easily my favorite column to read on the site.

Almost as entertaining to me (for very different reasons) are the comment threads that follow. Wink

More on topic:
I think Air over-dosed me on moe cuteness, at least in the Key style. When I tried watching it a second time, I got about a quarter of the way in and just couldn't take it anymore, ultimately giving away my discs. The little I've seen of the other Key series also kinda repel me. (I almost said "repulsed," but the connotation there is unfair.)

Nanoha's second season was a vast improvement over the first, if for no other reason than a lack of squick. It's even more hyper-calculated than the original, but at least it has fun fight scenes. And magic weapons that use bullets. Very Happy

I have yet to see either of the Negima anime, but I love the manga (which is probably why I refuse to see the anime). I have yet to read any compelling reason to see either series and lots of reasons not to... which is too bad, because there are certain arcs I'd love to see animated. Smile
MRLN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
For someone who hates babies and puppies, I can say that I'm only just learning that all of these Key animes are moe. At least they all had fun plots (as fun as sadness and death can get...). If this article is saying that Negima's main attraction is cute girls, then count me out.

Please somebody persuade me to change my views.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is Air can make anyone cry. The only people it wouldn't affect are jerks and stone-hearted folks. The movie was addressing the story behind the whole "girl with wings" theme rather than the series' main plot, so yeah, I expected as much. On another note, any anime with an opening theme that's getting arragements and remixes every second we're talking has to be good. Tori no Uta ftw people!

Ah, Kanon. Comparing the original series to the 2006, it felt much more dramatic. Especially one scene that was changed, which lowered the overall impact of what happened. I like the original more, but the remake is still lovely.

And one more thing. I still don't get this whole moe thing. It's just a bunch of stereotyped girls, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7