• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Princess Lover!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Concerning episode 8:

Okay, a lot of that was outright dumb. Serious content can be successfully infused with bursts of flakiness (FMA did it a lot), but this a very rough way to handle it.

Still, there were a couple of good moments, especially spoiler[Teppei's reunion with Charlotte].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Key, that spoiler tag you just did was probably the best part of the episode. Am I not the only one who would love to see Funimation or Crumchyroll do a simulcast so we have less fansubs to worry about harming the industry?
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, since you had to go there, I'll just say that fansubs only harm the industry if people are interested in paying, or if the alternatives generate more revenue than the cost to maintain service. In many cases I'm betting that the industry can end up paying more money having a show up themselves than they gain from having ads, so... I don't see any reason at all to wish them to license more shows just to do it.

Personally, I'm... ok with paying something... but I would end up spending less on dvds, so I am doubtful that it helps. (although, dvds are so much cheaper now with everything stripped including dubs that I probably could put the money here instead. I really don't like that though, it implies I value this more than the other and I don't).
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering why so many people praised episode 8. Seriously, this show can't get any worse than that. It's just like Key said, a lot of that was just dumbness. I feel as if the effort they put on episode 1 went all to waste during the past episodes and I want to punch myself for ever believing in this anime. I'll continue watching it anyway since I like the art (which is the only reason people watch this anime I'd guess).
I'd love to hear some girl's opinion about this anime. Who's seen up or past episode 8 preferably.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Finished episodes 7 & 8. Well... I'll finish the series since I do like the art and animation, and it's half way through already, but no amount of fanservice can make me come back (well, maybe for onsen episode).

I agree that Teppei and Charlotte reunion in episode 8 was the best part. The rest of it just keeps bouncing between serious and goofy, which doesn't work very well. But hey, series started that way too! While first episode remained relatively serious, the Alfred combat butler and the fact that Charlotte was in a carriage were warning signs telling us not to take this too seriously. I failed to notice that, hence comes the disappointment.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
While first episode remained relatively serious, the Alfred combat butler and the fact that Charlotte was in a carriage were warning signs telling us not to take this too seriously. I failed to notice that, hence comes the disappointment.

The first episode told me that any action this series had would be like that of Indiana Jones; not 'edge of your seat,' but still enjoyable to watch. Ep 8... sheesh, they played around too much. And the spoiler[goofy PM soldiers] weren't funny, it only served to kill any dramatic effect. They should have just cut out the goofy aspects and stuck with fanservicey action. A disappointment after the surprising turn in ep 7.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:
Well, it was at least better than the last episode. However, there was one rather big logistics fail; how comespoiler[ the rest of the characters got on the helicopter and escaped but Teppei and Charlotte were still stuck in the building? Weren't the two of them closer to the roof than the others?] Rolling Eyes

Oh well, it at least avoided the same goofy antics as the last episode, plus it featured spoiler[Charlotte wielding a chainsaw,] so I can forgive it for that Razz
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Looks like for episode 9 they went for a slightly serious atmosphere but made the content so ridiculous that it can't really be taken seriously at all. The fanservice in this episode was surprisingly toned down, or maybe it was just me. But I just can't tell what this series is really going for; I feel like a lot of the goofiness is there on purpose, but at times the whole thing feels like it's completely unaware of the unreasonableness of the situations.

I rolled my eyes at the fact that the poor people are bad and even though most of the things they said about Charlotte being in her own little world are true, they still send a message like 'Poor people have no business with rich people because they are all so nice!'. It sort of bothers me.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
After watching episode 10.
From ridiculous to senseless.
I have no idea why that 2 weirdly masked terrorists keep appearing, but they just do.
spoiler[Haltman goes under a huge transformation (almost magical). His voice, his looks and his personality. I couldn't recognize him until his assistant said his name.]
Well, at least that makes me think we could still have a decent ending.
spoiler[ The shadow under Seika's skirt. Why is it even there? I thought it was a fanservice anime, looks like I was wrong.]
Or is it a way to force me to buy the dvd when I didn't like the anime.
spoiler[ The way Yuu is holding Teppei. That's definitely not on her lap(or rather, it's a bit too deep to be her lap).]
Another senseless fanservicing brought to you by Princess Lover.
spoiler[ The way Charlotte was pressing her buttocks against the glass during her shower. ]
So they can even show that but not what's under Seika's skirt?
I guess Charlotte's fans are really happy after this.

Other than what happened to Haltman, that was a disappointing episode.
Hopefully Teppei will take that ridiculous cloth off by the next episode, or is that even considered a fanservice for the female audience? (what kinda of female audience would watch this anime anyway...)
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Increasing the fanservice and airing the uncensored version subbed on the official anime site would be okay with me.
sanjayts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching episode 11.

I'm really surprised at the lack of interest in this anime; I guess it has got a lot to do with a truly spectacular first episode and everything going downhill from there. Smile

Anyways, I really liked the way spoiler[Yuu, Slyvie and Seika almost giving up on Teppei was portrayed. Seika uttered 'Damn it' a couple of times for her inability to make Teppei think about her in a serious romantic way. She knows for good that she is almost done for. After Seika's kiss in episode 10 it was now Slyvie's turn to do the honors. She was pretty much aware from the start of Teppei's inclination towards Charl and wisely ended the engagement under the pretense of not interested in marrying a man whom she beat twice in swordplay. Now it's Yuu-san's turn to kiss Teppei or is it that while the other girls get a chance to kiss Teppei, Yuu only gets the chance of making Teppei lie on her lap. Wink]

Other misc things include spoiler[Alfred, the combat butler, helping out with the plan, Slyvie becoming a captain of the Horse riders [!], Charl continuing the show off her assets, , Hartman killing off her own secretary [yawn...] and supposedly killing off Teppei, Charl letting out a loud scream etc.].

Oh and IMO the best part of the series was the quote by Arima Isshin when he preaches Teppei; spoiler["Wealth is like a Katana. Wealth can sustain lives. But it can also cut through them easily."]

With the way things have turned out to be, we can be rest assured of a happy ending. Smile
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
When do DVD's of currently airing shows usually start being released in Japan? And finish being released? I want to finish the rest of the show, but I'm waiting until the DVD's are released so that I can watch it uncensored.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 was actually a pretty good episode, for this series anyway. The series is really coming to a close and although the cliffhanger had no suspense whatsoever since there is no way that Teppei spoiler[actually died considering the type of show this is], I agree with the others who said that the way the girls seemed spoiler[to give up on Teppei] was well done.

sanjayts wrote:
spoiler[She was pretty much aware from the start of Teppei's inclination towards Charl and wisely ended the engagement under the pretense of not interested in marrying a man whom she beat twice in swordplay.]

I agree that Sylvie made the right choice, and I have a lot of respect for her spoiler[considering that she gives up a guy for her friend even though she technically is already engaged to him. Their kiss was sweet enough and Sylvie is by far my favorite character in the show.]
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Glad that they are hinting at Teppei winding up with Charlotte. However, the ending could not have them end up together.] Someone license it, please.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, Princess Lover! has ended.

Story is not that involving and it has many absurd situations & plot twists where shooting train with the cannon(!) and recruiting terrorists (with degree in medicine) on the internet are among highlights. I was thinking to rate this 'decent' but when I saw ep. 10 uncensored it finally hit me that fanservice is absolutely necessary to enjoy this series. So I am giving Princess Lover! 'good', and I advise those who haven't seen it yet to start with uncensored version when it comes out, or all fun is lost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7