• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Paradise Found

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamimura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Umm, this is sort of messed up. Shouldn't The Stream be a weekly thing and Shelf life the monthly thing? I think that way more people would be interested in hearing Bamboo's thoughts on new anime that they're actually watching.

Newflash: none of us are buying or renting DVDs anymore.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Kamimura wrote:

<--------Still buys/rents DVDs
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Kamimura wrote:

That's a generalization.

And besides, call me when I can legally stream in Rinne no Lagrange, Accel World and InuYasha: The Final Act in Canada.

Oh wait.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Kamimura wrote:

Which is why the pictures at the bottom of Shelf Life are always shots of a PC streaming something!
Kamimura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
No, but it's probably why a ton of US distribution companies have gone bust or downsized. Nothing I've said is revolutionary. Zac is constantly harping on about the same thing on the podcasts, which is why I'm surprised that he hasn't changed the format. Units aren't being shifted. And if they are it's in small numbers at high prices.

The majority of us are streaming, hence why I think The Stream should take precedence over Shelf Life.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Kamimura wrote:
No, but it's probably why a ton of US distribution companies have gone bust or downsized. Nothing I've said is revolutionary. Zac is constantly harping on about the same thing on the podcasts, which is why I'm surprised that he hasn't changed the format. Units aren't being shifted. And if they are it's in small numbers at high prices.

The majority of us are streaming, hence why I think The Stream should take precedence over Shelf Life.

You're exaggerating the situation to the point where what you're saying isn't based in reality.

Yes, physical releases are limited compared to what is now available streaming. However we still have more than enough product to discuss 3 releases per week in this column format. The readership for Shelf Life is very very healthy - it is one of the most-read pieces of editorial on this site. So, speaking as a content manager, why would I dispose of that based on the vague concept a segment of anime fans have that "nobody ever buys DVDs anymore"?

The new format for The Stream is in beta, so to speak. Yes, the column will be shorter overall (less than 8,000 words, maybe!) and it'll be once a month instead of twice. It isn't that huge a change to the format, and it retains the same writer. People are being a little unreasonable about this, I think - at least wait until you've had a chance to see the new format before complaining about it.

Obviously if it gets to the point where it's clear we should split the column down the middle - half Shelf, half Stream every month - we'll go that route. But you don't take one of the most popular pieces of editorial content you have and just rip out half the content on a whim or a notion. We do these things carefully and we try to be smart about it.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Kamimura wrote:

Also.

Demand has reduced, but people will still want discs, just as people still want physical books.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Kamimura wrote:

Same here, and now lots of Blu-rays too.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
@ Kamimura

I always find it interesting when someone assumes that what is true for them must be true for everyone. Sorry, but not everyone is like you and your friends.

Not everyone has an internet connection that will support streaming.
Not everyone who can stream wants to.
Many of those who can and do stream shows still want a physical copy.

If no one bought DVDs and Blurays, they wouldn't put them out. Until they stop making them, you can assume that people are still buying them.
Kamimura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Kamimura wrote:

You're exaggerating the situation to the point where what you're saying isn't based in reality.

Yes, physical releases are limited compared to what is now available streaming. However we still have more than enough product to discuss 3 releases per week in this column format. The readership for Shelf Life is very very healthy - it is one of the most-read pieces of editorial on this site. So, speaking as a content manager, why would I dispose of that based on the vague concept a segment of anime fans have that "nobody ever buys DVDs anymore"?

The new format for The Stream is in beta, so to speak. Yes, the column will be shorter overall (less than 8,000 words, maybe!) and it'll be once a month instead of twice. It isn't that huge a change to the format, and it retains the same writer. People are being a little unreasonable about this, I think - at least wait until you've had a chance to see the new format before complaining about it.

Obviously if it gets to the point where it's clear we should split the column down the middle - half Shelf, half Stream every month - we'll go that route. But you don't take one of the most popular pieces of editorial content you have and just rip out half the content on a whim or a notion. We do these things carefully and we try to be smart about it.

It just seems like you're favouring a format that has been mostly abandoned by fans.

And I don't think it's a vague concept. You are constantly pushing this very idea in your podcast. Maybe collectors still buy them but the demand just isn't there anymore.

I'd love to see a weekly column on streaming stuff by Bamboo (in the new updated format), but what you seem to be saying is that you can't afford to have both.

Despite my doubts I'll give the new format a fair hearing (mainly because I love Bamboo's take on anime).
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Kamimura wrote:
It just seems like you're favouring a format that has been mostly abandoned by fans.

No, DVD and Blu-Ray (but especially DVD) are still the bread and butter of the industry. Streaming is simply nowhere near as profitable.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

I am a little worried about The Stream. My concern is that the same shows may make the "top 5", while some of the newer shows may never get a proper write-up simply due to them not making the top cut. I found The Stream very informative as to what I should put into my queue, given that I have a limited amount of free time. I'm going to miss that.

Thanks for your input! I'll try and figure out a balanced way to do everything and not just write about the same five shows. There might be a slight adjustment period, but I do understand what you're saying, and I agree with your concerns.

I have some suggesting regarding that, actually.

My idea is that for the first Stream Life, you do exactly as planned, covering the top 5 shows with full reviews. But those 5 shows would then be exempt from getting full reviews for the next column. Instead, you'd focus on the shows that didn't get full reviews in the most recent column, and the top 5 of those (even if they were ranked 6-10) would get full reviews. Next column same thing, whichever shows got full reviews last time would be exempt, and you'd pick the top of the rest to give full reviews to. Only shows that got full reviews in the most recent column would be exempt, so a show could get a full review every other month potentially.

This would ensure that you don't just talk about the same 5 shows every month, and it also wouldn't increase your workload, as you'd still only be doing 5 full reviews (plus shows that were dropped) each column.

Possible Addition #1: As an additional suggestion, you could do full reviews for any show that causes you to drastically alter your opinion between columns. For example, if a show that was #1 three months in a row suddenly drops to #13, a one paragraph review probably isn't going to be enough to explain the reason for the difference, so you could give it a full review.

This would increase your workload slightly, though I'm not sure by how much. I know in the past it was rare for a show to rise or fall that drastically, but since you're going to be doing this column monthly instead of bi-weekly, there's more time for the rankings to change. Just think about how much your opinion of Natsuyuki Rendezvous changed in a month.

Possible Addition #2: This is probably not going to happen, but I have another idea, and that is that every time a show is covered in Stream Life for the first time, it gets a full review, or at least a slightly longer one. This way, for shows that you're talking about for the first time, we get a more detailed starting point we can use to judge their progress.

This would make writing Stream Life pretty crazy around the start of a new season though.

Alternate Possible Addition #2 If the above is too much work, perhaps you could instead just give bigger reviews to shows that are showing up in Stream Life for the first time and for some reason weren't covered by anyone in the Preview Guide.

For example, thanks to The Anime Network's little streaming snafu, this season 4 officially streaming shows were never covered by anyone from ANN. So perhaps the first time those show up in Stream Life, you could give them full reviews even if they aren't being dropped/in the top 5.

With the promising sign of Funimation actually getting it's simulcasts out in a decent amount of time this season, this is a situation that hopefully won't come up very much, as Funimation's delayed streams was the most common reason for shows getting neglected from the Preview Guide in the past.

Anyways, those are some thoughts I had. Hope the feedback helps.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Not everyone who can stream wants to.
My computer is hooked up to my TV and I still practically never stream; the quality compared to a blu-ray (especially the audio) just doesn't cut it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
My computer is hooked up to my TV and I still practically never stream; the quality compared to a blu-ray (especially the audio) just doesn't cut it.

That's pretty snobbish of you. I don't know how big your T.V. is but I can happily watch 480p videos on my 32" T.V. with its inbuilt speakers (I don't have a surround sound system, much as I want one). Given that 720p streams and upscaled 1080p streams are available, I really don't think you should be complaining just because the technical quality of streams are not up to your unreasonably high standards.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll's streams have a low enough bitrate I see blocking on occasion and color banding often. I can understand why that would be a deal killer for somebody.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6