• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darker Than Black: Meteor of the Gemini (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Even so, they still were good shots.

She's got experience with guns. Granted, hunting rifles, not BFGs, but still.
Quote:
spoiler[Suou's case reminds me of Mai Kashiwagi(the moratorium who eventually reverted to a contractor). Clearly, that isn't the case. I believe the old concept of contractors should be dead by now. I believe season 1 made it clear that contractors aren't completely emotion void.]

spoiler[That's what I was reminded of too. Which episode was that? I feel like I need to check how that worked out again.

The old concept of contractors isn't completely invalid. Tanya killed (probably?) the boy she had started dating just before she became a contractor. Poor Nika. You have to be pretty cold to do that.]
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 has kind of left me feeling a bit apprehensive, to be honest. Really not sure how I feel about spoiler[Suou's whole glowing gun summoning bit - for a moment I was terrified that she was becoming a magical girl, which left a bad taste in my mouth, heh. And her taking Hei's powers...I can handle it for a little while, but I rather hope it's not a permanent thing. Also, as people have been saying, Pecha doesn't really fit Mao's personality... I am very glad that he is in fact alive, though! And I like that they team up with July. I just hope the whole Suou's-a-contractor thing is worthwhile.

Right now, I'm very interested in her brother's connection to all of these events that are happening. I wonder if part of his ability is to see the future? He seemed to know something was about to happen at the end of episode 1. Perhaps he's had this all planned out, and intended for Suou to become a contractor the way she did - he does seem to be leading her somewhere, at any rate. It is interesting that Tanya had never heard of him, and I've gotta wonder if there's something to her questioning whether he was really just Suou. Not necessarily in the way she meant it, but, yeah.]

wm4 wrote:
spoiler[From that point, it is safe to assume that Suou is a contractor, like her brother. I think it is
not just limited to weapons. This is an awesome ability for a contractor]
spoiler[(my theory:
if not Suou being the Heaven's gate herself.)]

Well, the way I interpreted it, Suou spoiler[is only a contractor because somehow, during that crazy thing they were trapped in at the beginning of the episode, Hei's powers got transferred into her...or into the meteor fragment, or into her through the meteor fragment, or something. And since Hei's power is Bai's power, and Bai's power supposedly extended to stuff like molecular reconstruction, I think it's within reason that she'd be able to create giant guns and whatnot.

Although since Bai had something to do with the disappearance of Heaven's Gate(can't really remember it exactly, though - I really do need to rewatch the 1st season), I suppose this might connect Suou to it. And I guess you could also argue that Suou might have always had the potential to become a contractor within her, and these events just triggered it, or something. Who knows?]

Oh yeah, and I'm a little upset about spoiler[the magician being dead already, although these other new contractors seem pretty cool too, I suppose. The golem-guy(do we have his name yet?) has an interesting personality - he definitely pulled some pretty crazy stuff in this episode, at any rate. But man, is Nika dead, too? Do they just want to kill someone off every episode, or something?]

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
spoiler[The old concept of contractors isn't completely invalid. Tanya killed (probably?) the boy she had started dating just before she became a contractor. Poor Nika. You have to be pretty cold to do that.]

Yeah, but even then, spoiler[she did let him live the first time...I mean, yeah, she still roughed him up pretty bad, but it would seem to suggest that she had at least some tiny little bit of lingering emotion. I think how much emotion gets through is just something that varies from contractor to contractor, for whatever reason(s).]

Last edited by RhymesWithEmpty on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
spoiler[They clearly stated during season one that Bai's powers could turn a normal human into a contractor.] For those who forgot.
I forgot the episode Dorcas_Aurelia, but I'll look for it.
Edit: The Moratorium event happened during episode 3 and 4.

Last edited by egoist on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Hmm, lots of interesting stuff happening. spoiler[When Suou first pulled the gun and started in about how she hated contractors, I thought she might actually become a contractor killer.

It makes sense that she got Bai's powers through the meteor fragment, but I have this feeling that Shion's lingering somewhere (July reminds me of him)...maybe she's somehow using Shion's powers? He did guide her before with his voice inexplicably. I'm just curious as to how there was such a big deal made over Shion, yet Suou's the one who's "awakened."

As for Mao, his personality really doesn't jibe with Pecha. I hope he's a cat again soon.

And Hei's "her"-- I can't think of anyone who could conjure that kind of hatred who we already know about besides Amber. Is she really dead? One thing I've never understood are character's inabilities to tell the truth about who killed who, Hei should at least tell Suou he didn't kill her father instead of being stubborn about it. So maybe he has nothing to prove but he at least owes her that.

Also Nika's death was terrible. ]
arachneia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
spoiler[And Hei's "her"-- I can't think of anyone who could conjure that kind of hatred who we already know about besides Amber. Is she really dead? ]

The same thing occurred to me, but I doubt it; the reason Hei spoiler[showed such a violent hatred towards Amber is that he was blaming her for Bai's death. They reconciled at the end, after all.]
wm4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
spoiler[They clearly stated during season one that Bai's powers could turn a normal human into a contractor.] For those who forgot.
I forgot the episode Dorcas_Aurelia, but I'll look for it.
Edit: The Moratorium event happened during episode 3 and 4.

At which minute ? I had had watched the said episodes 3 times in a month and I don't bother
watch them again any time soon. So if you don't mind .... Cool

BTW, in episode 4, the (seemly) closest comment to what you mentioned is spoiler[from Mao
toward the end (if my memory serves), he said that the chance a Moratorium would turn
to a contractor - like Mai - is nearly zero (he never heard of a similar case.)]
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Which minute? Well, the 2 episodes are about Mai and her moratorium powers. It's hard to say which minute exactly, unless there's something you're looking for.
spoiler[The scene you mentioned happened near the end of episode 4, when she became a contractor.
During that, Mao said: A moratorium turning into a contractor? The probability of that is supposed to be zero.]

~ Okaeri, papa.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
I think he's asking about when it was said that Bai's power can turn a contractor into a human, which happened at the very end. I don't remember the specific line, but I think it was said that she has some sort of ability to manipulate the very atomic level of things, thus stripping contractors of their power and giving powers to those who don't have it. So, basically, her power is like the gate's itself.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
I don't remember when. And I've deleted the fansubbed series and am currently waiting for the dvd releases over here (last disc in december), so I can't check.
spoiler[But who said that was the scientist responsible for building the saturn ring (Professor Schroeder?). It might've been right after the Evening Primrose meeting (where they gathered November 11 plus Mao), or it could've been said when Hei was destroying the second Saturn Ring system (I'm leaning to the latter). Either way, I'm quite sure it was the Professor who said that.]
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
wm4 wrote:

We are then reminded who being the protagonist. Suou.

I do not think that they're changing the protagonist, - at least I hope not. This story is about Hei and Yin (and the people who come near them, Mao and Huang included) - unless they've drastically changed something. For now Suou's stealing the spotlight, but we know who the real hero is. I don't like the trend too much either, but it could (and hopefully it will) turn out like one of the FMP novels (when Sousuke goes to the town with ArmSlave gladiator fights).

Anyway, it's good to see they continue diving deeper into the mysteries of that world.

About the spoiler[Yin controversy: she could be dead, though that would be a disappointment; but I think the chances of Hei killing her are slim. That part is left deliberately vague, we don't really know if he's talking about killing Yin - if yes, he may believe something which will later be proven untrue, - or it may be some other woman.] It's an obvious cliffhanger, but damn, it's effective. Seeing this story unfold is just deliciously entertaining.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
About the spoiler[Yin controversy: she could be dead, though that would be a disappointment; but I think the chances of Hei killing her are slim. That part is left deliberately vague, we don't really know if he's talking about killing Yin]

No, I think it's pretty certain and pretty obvious that he is not talking about her, on account of those flashbacks/dream sequences where he is trying desperately to reach her as she is getting away.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I really need to watch the original series again myself, as I've forgotten most of what happened. I'm waiting for the eventual complete collection from Funi though.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
Mister V wrote:
About the spoiler[Yin controversy: she could be dead, though that would be a disappointment; but I think the chances of Hei killing her are slim. That part is left deliberately vague, we don't really know if he's talking about killing Yin]

No, I think it's pretty certain and pretty obvious that he is not talking about her, on account of those flashbacks/dream sequences where he is trying desperately to reach her as she is getting away.

I had the same doubts. spoiler[When I finished episode 3 I was sure Hei was talking about another woman... maybe the same as Mao was talking about? But that doesn't seem to be the case. Then later, I came here and read that he was talking about Yin; even after re-watching, I still have my doubts. Up to now, Hei's been dreaming and telling Yin not to do something in his dreams. On the other hand, the only two characters Hei cares about are Yin and his sister. I don't think Yin betrayed Hei, but she might be doing something similar to what Amber did during season one. Mao's reaction made me believe Hei was talking about Yin, and I'm quite convinced already. I'd say it's 50/50.]

__
Praising time!
Suou's seiyu, arigatou! I'm beginning to love Suou's voice.
Opening and ending - They're great. That's what conclusion I came to after watching it a few times.
The effects and sound during the beginning of episode 3 - They were great and I'd love to see them around more often.
Despite being in a desperated situation, Hei's still able to show how he cares about others spoiler[(how he stopped Suou from killing her best friend for instance).]
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, he's back to playing Li Shengshun... sort of. I really hope he shaves and stops drinking, damn, enough Max Payne vibes.
Now burdened with two children, a Doll and a Contractor, Hei's like a sole father... with issues...

Is it me or the series (so far) sort of abandons its neo-noir themes? And they've decided to start with all the characters in a dump. Can they reach new lows? spoiler[Can loli belly dance become a new trend?] Rolling Eyes Stay tuned...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, episode 4 had a bit more levity than we usually get from this show, but the first series had the goofball detective pair as well. I don't mind too much because I did actually laugh at some of the stuff. spoiler[Like Mao knocking over two police officers at once by flying into their faces. That's a lot of momentum for a squirrel. He must have hit them pretty hard; they didn't get back up.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 23