• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
B Gata H Kei - Yamada's First Time (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
About subs... even though this is getting really off topic...

I accidentally purchased a pirated version of FMP TSR before I knew how to tell the difference. For an entire episode, everyone's name was either "Mao" or "Mardukas".

Back on topic...

I absolutely love B Gata H Kei. There's so much more to this show than what I had originally expected (which wasn't very much). I am wondering how long they're going to keep this "rival" thing going as those kinds of plot turns usually bother the heck outta me if they continue over like 3 episodes. I mean, there's really only so much you can do with it. I'm really hoping they kinda conclude some of that like next episode.

If that becomes a driving point of the series (which I really don't think that it will) then it's going to be a major disappointment.

Anyone have any idea how many episodes this thing is gonna be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
dirkusbirkus's Anime List said:

Eps Seen: 6/ 12

ANN says 13
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Since this doesn't seem to be streaming from anywhere...

Incorrect. I am watching it streamed. As you probably know, we are not allowed to mention specific streaming sites in ANN forums, or even in PMs but, as always, Google is your friend.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
Is this the group whose opinion of themselves is in their name?

Good guess! Wink
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Incorrect. I am watching it streamed. As you probably know, we are not allowed to mention specific streaming sites in ANN forums, or even in PMs but, as always, Google is your friend.

Yeah, ok ok. I found it in three clicks and already watched the first episode.

Verdict: cute, lightweight, enjoyable for what it is but not very nutritious. I'd like to see the old ADV team do a dub of it. Those parties emoting moral indignation over the subject matter need to get a life. Or a clue. Ideally both.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
Sorce wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Is this is what is called "troll subs?" Not a fan.
No, this would be what is called "creative license". A troll sub would be, for example, what Dattebayo did for an episode of Soul Eater way back when, where they replaced all the story/dialogue with whatever they wanted independent of what actually happened in the episode.
I'd say CoalGuys' subs are pretty darned close to troll subs, even if they don't technically fall under that definition. It's not just the excess profanity and random references to Cristina Aguilera/the Taliban/etc.; plenty of the normal lines go beyond "liberal subbing" and cross into "just plain incorrect." They're good for a laugh, which is why I'm watching them. (And because I can understand well enough from the audio.) But if you want more accurate subs, I'd grab a different group.

Note: I think it's acceptable to go a little bit into fansub group discussion if it affects one's enjoyment or understanding of the anime in question. And in this case, the group you choose can mean the difference between understanding the anime and getting 20 minutes of jokesubs.

Blood- wrote:
Incorrect. I am watching it streamed.
Aaannd... those streams would be somebody's re-encodes of files downloaded via torrents/IRC/DDL. I think HaruhiToy was referring to legal streams.

But regardless of the subtitle sources, I am enjoying the script of the show. Not so much the standard dialogue, but there a good number of unexpected where'd-THAT-come-from jokes. Like "What should I do? Hire Golgo?" or "Why don't they sell shotguns on auction sites?" I'm guessing this comes from the 4-panel origins, where there's a need to build up a quick joke to finish off a strip.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
[
Note: I think it's acceptable to go a little bit into fansub group discussion if it affects one's enjoyment or understanding of the anime in question. And in this case, the group you choose can mean the difference between understanding the anime and getting 20 minutes of jokesubs.

Phew, thanks for clarification on that, wasn't sure if I'd commited a cardinal sin by bringing the topic up. I'm also watching CoalGuys, as I'm sure people have fathomed... I know they're not accurate but I can forgive because as you've mentioned, they're amusing. It's been done on purpose either because a) The TL doesn't like the show much or b) The subs are being down to match the mood of the show.

I think the latter is the more likely.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Mmmm, kind of a ho-hum eppie, imo. Plus, I am officially getting a little tired of the slow development of the Yamada-Kosuda relationship. The show fooled me into thinking it would be a bit more fast track than the usual school romance comedy model when they kissed a few eppies back, but since then we've been stuck in neutral.

Although, in fairness, at least we did get spoiler[a confession in this episode...sorta]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
Regarding trollsubs, I found this pretty funny (NSFW, and don't click if you're easily offended Laughing )

Also, I agree with everything Blood- has said about Episode 8. Seemed a bit filler-ish to be honest, though I'd class spoiler[the confession as a decent step in the right direction, if only because Yamada is gonna have to deal with stuff like 'feelings' and 'emotions', alien concepts to a nympho like her!]
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part of Atsushi Abe's role of Yamada is the fact that Yamada looks like another guy Abe did, Akiharu from Bounen no Xamdou.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote
Well I was very surprised by the spoiler[confession] and thought that the male lead was finally showing some balls. Then I noticed he was still on the train and so my expectations were met with a 'cliched spoiler[confession] technique'. Although Yamada, rather than not thinking about it, felt that he spoiler[confessed] to her. In a lot of shows she would not have heard and so no progress would have been made.

I do agree with Blood- that this show is still rather slow in its relationship development.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
Ah, a nice return to form after last week's humdrum eppie. Once again, I feel my natural wells of sympathy and pity for Kosuda over-flowing since he has had the bad luck of falling for a complete nutzoid. My favourite part of the episode was when spoiler[Yamada bumped into Kanejo who is all hyped about seeing her bro again soon. Kanejo brushes it off like it's no big deal, but then writes about it in a notebook in case she decides she wants to get back at Yamada later.] Laughing Good stuff.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Heehee, spoiler[camera envy]... The innuendoes continue to impress Wink

Thank god some sort of progress was made in Episode 9, though. It's still at a snail's pace, and with only 3/4 episodes left, it needs to get cracking!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Second-to-last eppie, folks, and a pretty funny one. In fact, this one gave me the biggest belly laugh (and I have a lot of belly to laugh with) of the series so far: spoiler[butter dog; 'nuff said.]

I wonder if Yamada will finally get to ride the baloney pony she's been gagging for in the finale? I think poor, long-suffering Kosuda deserves it for what he's had to put up with so far from that nutbar. Still think he should toss her over for the chesty, good-cook, bespectacled childhood friend, but that's just me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

And so we say farewell to faux-slut Yamada and her blue-balled victim, Kosuda. I enjoyed the hell out of this series, but 12 eppies was the perfect portion for this premise, imo. Not that I would say no to the occasional special or one-off OVA. Or maybe a yuri spin-off series starring Kosuda's older sister and his Big-Boobed Glasses-Wearing Childhood Friend...
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Re: Blood-
Hear, hear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6