• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
American Cartoons or Japanese Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
But the thing is...pretty much every American animation critic out there hates Family Guy with a passion, and frequently criticize it for being ugly and poorly drawn. I remember that one of the few non-Korean animators said it was the single worst show he had ever worked on, and he had been with Hanna-Barbera in the 70's. If you were going to compare FMA to anything, it should be Samurai Jack - they're both children's adventure shows that have crossover appeal with older audiences (especially teenagers), and I'd say that Samurai Jack comes out the victor there.

Also, I find it rather ironic that the TV show that seems to have become the new standard of animation among many fans is drawn so goddamn ugly. Seriously, look at that girl on the top - the bottom of her eyes are at the same level as her mouth! There's no real excuse for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Just read the last 10-15 posts and maybe I'm jumping the gun, but this may be needed (for those who watch ATHF, this may be funnier):

(setting: South Jersey shore)
Dr. The Frankman: GENTLEMAN...BEHOLD!!! THE DISCUSSION . . . GROWS MORE EVIL!!! Twisted Evil
Gentleman: Uh, you sure about that? Confused
Dr. The Frankman: YES! I KNOW ABOUT THESE, STEVE! I WAS IN ONE THREE MONTHS AGO, AND IT WAS VICIOUS!! Twisted Evil
Gentleman: Err, yeah whatever. Hey, did anybody learn anything from the last time? Sad
Dr. The Frankman: Shocked . . . (silence). Uhh, MAKE WAY FOR THE SENSELESS FLAMING!!! Wink

We're getting a LITTLE closer, guys. Try to be a little more tolerant while posting reasons for-against.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
WaR.KiN wrote:

AIR TV might be an exception, but it is also a trend. It's all about money. People kept bashing the # of fps in anime, but they must have realized that not all the Japanese studios have the budget of Warner Brothers or Fox. Anime studios are making more money, and they are going to produce more impressive animation in the coming years. Do you honestly believe we won't see an increase in quality?

You're also unfairly comapring. You're comparing tv production comapnies to huge film production companies. It's well known that film companies are way out of televsion leagues. It would better to compare Studio Ghibli to Dreamworks, and on the other side of spectrum, Studio Pierrot to United Plankton Productions. (UPP did Spongebob, and they started out pratically broke. Still have better fps than anime, albet they repeat scenes a little too often in the older episodes.)

Also, I remember seeing an article in Animenation.com about this, animation studios in Japan are in dire condition, they're not gaining money, the sponsoring businesses are. It's a sad business situation, really. They live off of sponsors, and then those sponsors reap most of the profits. Animators in Japan are paid dirt cheap, and veteran industry members say that the talent is drying up. It's sad, and I hope the government will do something to help the studios.

Quote:
Ahh, that's not rambling at all! Shere Khan's animation was practically mind-boggling. How on earth John Lounsbery, Milt Kahl, Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas were able to convey the sheer weight of that tiger is just... wow... beyond my comprehension. I've never seen a more menacing animated character. Except for maybe the evil penguin in The Wrong Trousers. But that's British, so I guess it doesn't count in this topic.

XD Omg, where have you been all my life? haha. That's my favorite Wallace and Gromit short. Yes, the weight of Shere Khan was so well portrayed....it also reminds me of another one of my favorites, Scar from the Lion King. They portrayed his gout-ness and the sag of his body so well, he was very feline-like. I'm in an animation community in livejounral, if you have one, you should join!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
WaR.KiN wrote:
AIR TV might be an exception, but it is also a trend. It's all about money.

Anime studios are making more money, and they are going to produce more impressive animation in the coming years. Do you honestly believe we won't see an increase in quality?

Yes, because Air is still an exception. Every year, you'll see a small handful of titles with much, much better animation than most (1998 had Cowboy Bebop, 2003 had Wolf's Rain, 2005 has Air), while about 90% of the other TV series released in that year have glaringly average (or even outright poor) animation quality (hard to believe Trigun & Bebop are from the same year when you see how utterly awful Trigun's animation gets...especially considering its three-year senior, You're Under Arrest TV, actually looks much better generally speaking). Titles like Air or Wolf's Rain do not set precedents, as animation for TV continues to be on the same rather average level of quality it's been at for the past ten or fifteen years. The industry's grown in that time and fallen in that time, but the quality remains much the same (though I could personally argue the last two or three years' worth of shows have actually been lower quality on average—as in disregarding those anomaly exceptions like Air—than in years prior).

WaR.KiN wrote:
Since when did I say American artists can't draw? I wasn't bashing simplicity... in fact I share the same views as you.

I misread you a bit, sorry. Though it did give me a good opportunity to get that little rant out (since it almost always comes up in these sort of threads, anyway). Laughing

jfrog wrote:
Also, I find it rather ironic that the TV show that seems to have become the new standard of animation among many fans is drawn so goddamn ugly. Seriously, look at that girl on the top - the bottom of her eyes are at the same level as her mouth! There's no real excuse for that.

That's a design issue, not an animation issue. The two are actually quite a bit different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kainzero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

http://img14.paintedover.com/uploads/14/characterdesigns.jpg
http://img96.exs.cx:81/img96/8863/105110580199426jk.jpg

hurhurhurhurhur

ironically, i like the design. maybe i just find big eyes and tiny mouths attractive. it also gives it that cute puffy cheek look =P
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Anime hyper Omg, where have you been all my life? haha.

I move around a lot. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Who else is waiting in barely concealable anticipation for the full-length Wallace and Gromit movie? I know I am.

WaR.KiN wrote:
The animation in anime doesn't suck just because it has only a minimal # of frames per second. Again, anime studios don't have the budget, but if they do, they would really rock.

I agree with you on this count. As much as I love full animation, I do appreciate how many anime titles make up for the loss of fps through creative camera angles and stylization. (Utena, one of my favorite animes of all time, cuts so many corners in production values it's almost ridiculous, but I love the superb art direction!) My example of fps earlier was simply an aid to help me disprove that Road Runner's quality of animation is inferior to anime. Wink

And if anyone knows Bill Plympton's animation style, they would have recognized immediately that fps isn't one of my highest priorities in recognizing good animation, or I never would have recommended him. He animates on, like, 6s and 7s. But his wonderful draftsmanship and the ingenuity of his characters' poses completely make up for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
That's a design issue, not an animation issue. The two are actually quite a bit different.

I know that. But the two go hand in hand - in the end, all of these things come down to good drawing. It's like hearing Jimi Hendrix covering MacArthur Park - good animation with crap design is no better than talented musicians playing crap songs. Really, there's so much innovative animation to come out in recent years that I can see no reason to praise something that ugly just because it actually moves. My face actually physically hurts looking at screenshots from Air, I think I'm going to need to watch Mind Game again to purify my eyes (sadly, my animation teacher has been "borrowing" it for two months now... Mad )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
The joy of Road Runner and Coyote (ferchrissakes, it's not that hard to spell) is in the Rube Goldberg-ien absurdity of the Coyote's plans to catch the Road Runner, and in the fact that the Road Runner escapes each time with complete ignorance of the fact that he's the Coyote's target...

... or at least that's how he acts.

Road Runner doesn't need to be anything more than a goofy purple bird that runs really fast in order to do his schitck. If you made him more complicated, you'd really spoil the appeal.

When you view the whole body of work, honestly, of the classic Warner Bros. cartoons and then judge them against the world they were created in, you see a wildly satirical farce taking place. Every celebrity, cultural event, or pop craze/trend is spoofed and played to its hilt. No matter how "simple" it looks to you high-falutin' otakus, Chuck Jones, Fritz Freleng, and all the rest of the guys at Warner in the 30's who began the Merrie Melodies crew gave the world probably one of the most clever groups of cartoons in the world.

And, really, Bugs has had a 70+ year long career. You think Spike Spiegel is going to have that sort of longevity and is going to remain as entertaining and relevent in 70 years?
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:20 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

When you view the whole body of work, honestly, of the classic Warner Bros. cartoons and then judge them against the world they were created in, you see a wildly satirical farce taking place. Every celebrity, cultural event, or pop craze/trend is spoofed and played to its hilt. No matter how "simple" it looks to you high-falutin' otakus, Chuck Jones, Fritz Freleng, and all the rest of the guys at Warner in the 30's who began the Merrie Melodies crew gave the world probably one of the most clever groups of cartoons in the world.

As I said earlier, the creators of the old Warner Brothers cartoons in an anniversary special in the mid '90's said that they had originally intended the cartoons to be for adults and not children. They never expected children to like them as much as they did. As a kid there was nothing better than WB's cartoons and even today I still love to watch them. By watching them years later I am now able to understand all the jokes they told that I couldn't understand back then, the jokes that were more adult in scope, like referencing popular culture at the time. And now shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy reference pop culture all the time. (I don't watch The Simpsons anymore because every celebrity and their mother was, and probably still is, appearing on the show.) Plus, when they first started working in "Termite Terrace", far away from the main movie action at the studios, they didn't know how well they would be received. The genre was very eccentric and yet it managed to find a niche, partly for it's simplicity of design. Mel Blanc at first couldn't even get in to door at WB and when he was finally able to audition for voice actor, WB loved him. His versatile voice allowed him to do so much that all WB had to do was simply have him do all the voices. He is now a part of the WB legacy.

Craeyst Raygal wrote:
And, really, Bugs has had a 70+ year long career. You think Spike Spiegel is going to have that sort of longevity and is going to remain as entertaining and relevent in 70 years?

I sure do hope so Anime smile , but only time will tell.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
kainzero wrote:

OH MY GOD, it's Magical Knight Rayearth all over again! I seriously nearly puked when I saw those images, I thought they were real shots. I usually find it hard to enjoy animation if the eyes are ridiculously large. It's like staring into two pools that have no bottom . . . I took one look at the boxcover for MKR and five minutes later, my sister was shaking me to see if I was all right.
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow the two images are horrible looking. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
I suppose that this thread is pretty much dead.
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering, do you think that American Animation will become popular in Japan the way Anime has become popular in North America/Europe?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
trackstar1013 wrote:
I was wondering, do you think that American Animation will become popular in Japan the way Anime has become popular in North America/Europe?

It already did. Ages ago. Tom & Jerry is better received in Japan than most anime is, and it was a love of Western animation that is largely credited with anime's very creation in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
It already is. Disney films make a huge profit in Japan, and I understand that The Powerpuff Girls is (or was, at least) quite popular as well. I had a Japanese roommate in college who was addicted to Disney animations dubbed in Japanese.

(On a side note, trackstar, if a thread begins to die, it's not in good taste to keep reviving it and sending it back to the top of the list... if this new topic doesn't go anywhere, it's better to just let it die out, k? Wink)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6