• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Starz Develops Live-Action Remake of Noir Action Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Sora N wrote:
Plus I have never seen a “good” live-action adaptation from an anime series (whether it’s from Japan or Hollywood.)

anne_elise wrote:

There is no such thing as a good American live-action remake of an anime... every single one of them has SUCKED... this will be no different.

Okay come on guys. You know Speed Racer was awesome. One of my favorite experiences in the theater.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm very much a "leave it anime/animated" person most of the time, since generally speaking they pick shows to adapt that just don't work as well in live-action. (I mean, come on, the effects budgets alone for adapting some anime properly would bankrupt some countries!)

But this could work. I mean, seriously, this could work. Emphasis on COULD. If you want to adapt NOIR properly, there are three things you need in my opinion:

1: Atmosphere. The show is called NOIR for a reason beyond just it being a cool word to use for an assassin's code name. They don't have to use Yuki Kajura's music (though they should!) but they've got to use music and visual techniques to create the proper mood. Treating this as mindless action might work but it'll stop being NOIR.

2: Keep the Themes. The series has implied lesbianism sure but there's more there. Kirika's and Mireille's character development is extremely important and the indelibility of sin and giving and accepting forgiveness are fairly important themes in the series. Drop these things and you've got action without a point. Fun but forgettable.

3: Diversity! When it comes to most areas of life, I really don't think it matters what group someone comes from or if there are X or Y number of that group in an organization, workforce, etc. However, when you've already got an ethnic palette for a story, I find "whitewashing" very annoying. Get a tall blonde and a short Japanese actress for the mains at least! (For that matter, keep them both women and don't throw a random guy in for a romantic sub-plot no one will care about anyway!)

And yeah, I care too much. Even if they screw this up, I'll still love the series so whatever. I would like to see a successful live-action re-make though. (And wouldn't it be fraking awesome if they aired the live-action adaption on TV with commercials for the anime or had lots of Easter egg like spots where you can see NOIR playing on a TV or something?)

Still, I think this might be the first time I've felt there was a real chance of live-action remake being done RIGHT.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
The problem with making it a tv series is that American tv series like to either go really short (a mini series like band of brothers) or they want to drag it out as much as possible. I just don't see them planning for 26 episodes, like the TV series. Has me worried.

An 8-episode mini-series would be the air time of 16-episodes of anime, and whatever bits and pieces of Noir they decide to keep as they create their new show out of bits and pieces of Noir ... would surely fit in 16-episodes.

Indeed, there's got to be one or two episodes worth of re-used footage in the original series, as a cost saving measure, and 24 episodes of original anime footage into an 8-episode mini-series seems quite reasonable.

For people focusing on what they have to keep for it to be Noir ... it will change. They're going to treat the original plot as a first draft, and start revising it from there. If you want the original Noir, I think it can be found here.
JaxsonJaguar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
You know there could be a roll for Bruce Campbell. Remember that episode when Kirika meets the painter who was a former soldier? Bruce could be that guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5