• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arata the Legend (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
You just need a little sister character now and you've got a megahit.

Hinohara's got one
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Man, whenever I hear Kadowaki talk I can only think of Kodaka Laughing

Feels like they crammed a lot into this episode. Well I suppose it's not bad this way since we won't have to suffer through Hinohara being all mopey for several episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Seriously? That's all it took to turn Kadowaki into a sadistic bully and Hinohara's mortal enemy? Seriously? That's just such pathetic writing I don't know what else to say about it. Confused
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
See, when stuff like this happens my immediate reaction isn't just to blame the writing. I always look in universe first to explain why things are the way they are. And in this case it's pretty simple: people can form grudges over the simplest stuff. It happens in real life all the time. Kadowaki also had other issues too and those certain contributed to his snapping as well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
They've had plenty of time to make us see his side of it, but instead they've resorted to disjointed bits and pieces to try to maintain the mystery - probably because they knew there was nothing in their hand to show. That's bad writing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
In a sense they had plenty of time... But they were using that time for other things. Kadowaki just stepped into a huge role so now further exploration of his motives are actually warrented. It may be nothing to you, but it's a huge deal to him and that's enough to drive him on.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
I think the word we're looking for here with Kadowaki is "transference." He was pissed at other things going on in his life and Arata just became the most convenient target for his anger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's how I see it. Look, I don't find it the most compelling reason for Kadowaki's hotter than a thousand suns hatred, but it gets the job done. I adore his handmaiden, though (Miyubi?). He better not be mean to her ... Mad
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
What I find amusing is that both of the guys fro the modern world now have their own devoted female sidekick who's short, dark-haired, somewhat busty, and enormously cute. Her being clumsy, too, was a little much, though. (Really, that's a moe trope that I wish would go away, as it's vastly overplayed.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
I don't understand how the klutzy thing ever become a trope for cuteness in the first place. Is the idea that a cute, klutzy girl might accidentally fall on your penis, or something? I don't get it.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
now there's an interesting and slightly disturbing thought
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Accidentally falling on each other is the only way Japanese people are allowed to make contact.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
What I find amusing is that both of the guys fro the modern world now have their own devoted female sidekick who's short, dark-haired, somewhat busty, and enormously cute.

Everyone needs a love interest. Besides, we got enough hot guys running around. We need more girls to balance things out.

Blood- wrote:
Is the idea that a cute, klutzy girl might accidentally fall on your penis, or something?

It's actually pretty funny the two times I've seen that happen in hentai manga, but no, that's not it.

It's less about the clumsy thing itself and more about how she tries her best despite that. She keeps messing up but she never gives up or gets disheartened. It endears her to the viewer and makes him want to support her. And of course if he's the ones who catches her when she falls, it just might trigger a flag...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
@ Vaisaga - actually, that makes sense.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure it will be revealed that spoiler[Hinohara didn't slow down, and Kadowaki just happened to be faster] and all this could have been avoided had they just talked to each other
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6