• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fox News on Anime and Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astray09

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
After reading this article I'm still rather amused and angered at how they tried to make a direct sales relationship between manga and imported japanese anime movies. It seems as if they were trying to relate it to the recent boom in the comic->movie trend in the US, but there are striking differences... Had it been a comparison of anime and the movies that would have made more sense. I know Fox is very conservative but I really had hoped that they would at least have the decency to research a top before writing about it. They also failed to mention how most anime movies released in the US have limited areas of showing, are poorly advertised, and are usually hidden diliberately from public eye. A few ones, such as Miyazaki's films are tame enough to not burn the parental eye of America. Overall I chalk this up as a rather useless article when it comes to the topic they were trying to approach. Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Astray:
Quote:
It seems as if they were trying to relate it to the recent boom in the comic->movie trend in the US, but there are striking differences...

Mainly that comic books make more money as movies, while manga is making more money than anime. Also, comic books are declining in spite of movie sales, while manga increases with anime exposure.
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
The article was good for a laugh or two. Pretty dumb. Totally forgets the huge gross the first Pokémon movie had.

It also forgets the humorous detail that Howl's Moving Castle is an anime adapted from a non Japanese children's book. Oh my god, not all anime is inspired on something made in Japan!!! I guess so, or anime such as: The Secret Garden, Remi (based on a french novel called Nobody' boy), The Wizard of Oz, The Little Mermaid (there is an anime of this story and unlike Disney's version it ends tragicaly), Little Women and many other european and american books that were converted to anime.

The Final Fantasy movie failed because it was a boring movie with a plot that didn't make much sense. Had gorgeous animation though. Sinbad and Treasure Planet failed probably because they weren't that great and attractive looking movies to begin with (Though I can't tell because I've never seen them). Funny that the article never mentions early 90's Disney movies like The Little Mermaid or Beauty & the Beast to a lesser extent that have characters with huge eyes and they were hits but it was because they are great movies, not because Disney wanted to make a more "commercial product".

Funny the article never mentions cartoons like Thundercats, Silver Hawks, Batman and the Last Unicorn movie to be american productions with american scripts and VA's, but animated by japanese artists and were huge hits. But I guess at the end it wasn't the goal of the article.

Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle would have been very big if they had more publicity. France may not be a country that likes anime, but they love Miyazaki films and put a lot of publicity everytime one is about to premiere in a theater there. They are always huge hits.

The same would have been in Mexico. Dumb kids will watch anything; sadly they opted to watch Herbie over Howl's Moving Castle. When I saw it with my best friend there were only about 7 other people in the whole theater and they were all over 30 years old. When I saw Herbie 1 week later it was infested with dumb kids everywhere that wouldn't have known better that they had just lost the chance to see a far superior film because it just didn't have the publicity needed. Maybe with an Oscar or a Golden Globe they might consider putting it in theaters again. (Could happen).

The article should have also mentioned the rise of anime selection in american public libraries and that anime stuff is almost always checked out because everyone wants to rent it.

Course I personally don't respect Fox News. Hard to respect a news station that calls the most famous mexican volcano Popocatepetl -> Mount Gregory. Where in the hell did mountain come from god only knows. The Popo's actual name was inspired from the nahuatl dialect because it's a constantly active volcano. It it's not spitting smoke something's going wrong. Fox News did on a curious flip of the channel once have a decently accurate report on a small flood in the subcity of Mexico City where I live one day though the actual flood was so small and lasted so little that it barely even merited a foreign news report. Heck, the local news didn't even bother to mention it.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
championferret wrote:
Then again, americans have never been able to properly pronounce the vowel 'o' for some reason, going 'ar' or a horrible 'oh' sound like how they pronounced 'Chobits', even though the japanese say it so it rhymes with 'hobbits'.

What? "Chobits" IS pronounced with a long "oh" sound in Japanese. The original title is ‚¿‚å‚Ñ‚Áƒc, which is literally "cho bi tsu" (pronounced "choh bee tsu.") And "manga" in Japanese, –Ÿ‰æ, is correctly pronounced "mahn gah." But all of that is irrelevant to my point. In American phonetics, the short "o" does sound like "ah" in words like "not" or "pot." And the long "o" sounds like "oh" as in "foe" or "toe." And in dictionary terms, it's absolutely correct. For you to take an entire country's dialect and assert that it's mis-pronouncation because you happen to pronounce words differently is ridiculous. Also, if you took the time to read the text under Mohawk's avatar (the person whose text you chose to ridicule), you'll see he's not even American! Yeesh. Talk about false presumptions.

I was having a laugh, that's all. And Chobits is not pronounced the way they say it in the godfosaken dub, anyone who can read japanese should know that.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quote
sailornyanko wrote:
The article was good for a laugh or two. Pretty dumb. Totally forgets the huge gross the first Pokémon movie had.

Once again, that part of the article was talking strictly about serious anime films that only get limited or sub-limited arthouse distribution, not kiddy merchandising franchise cartoon TV series spin-off films that happen to be Japanese. While Pokémon is technically anime, mentioning its $80 million box office performance compared to that of Steamboy, Metropolis, Jin-Roh, or even Spirited Away is "apples and oranges", and would only serve to muddy the waters.

Quote:
Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle would have been very big if they had more publicity. France may not be a country that likes anime, but they love Miyazaki films and put a lot of publicity everytime one is about to premiere in a theater there. They are always huge hits.

Maybe, but probably not (in North America). While theatrical wide releases are always big gambles for the studio, unless the title of the film contains the words "Star" and "Wars", some wide releases are safer bets than others, and, while undoubtably, a few more people would have seen Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle in wide release, the studio estimated that it wouldn't have been enough people to justify the expensive cost of the prints and advertising, since anime is a niche market and the profits to be made from the distribution of anime films in North America is from DVD sales, where the overhead is much lower. And, since Ghibli won't let them advertise the films with merchandising at McDonald's and Wal-Mart, Disney couldn't advertise the films the same way they advertise Pixar films or one of their own studio's films even if they wanted to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pandorina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I just have to say wow. That was horrible. I can't beleave how little research Daniel Altiere did. Rolling Eyes

I mean ignoring Pokemon is a big issue in my opinion. If you are going to talk about Yugioh(box office gross $19,762,690), you have to talk about both Pokemon (1st movie box office gross $85,744,662) and Digimon(box office gross $9,628,751). Because all of them had a wide release. Yugioh 2,411 Screens, Pokemon 3,043 Screens, and Digimon 1,823 Screens.

Quote:
Hayao Miyazaki's 2001 anime masterpiece "Spirited Away" (search) grossed more than $250 million in Japan, but even though it made many American movie critics' best-of-year lists, it barely limped to the $10 million mark at the U.S. box office.

I don't think it is fair comparing a movie whos release was 711 Screens to movies with 2 to 4 times as large a release. I mean really is that fair. Limped huh.

I don't count Final Fantasy as a "manga movie" anyway. It is based on components of a video game. I wouldn't say it was Manga influenced at all. Heck I don't think it was too closely inspired by the video game francise either.

Siting movies that Disney and Dreamweaver produced where they tried using "manga styles" was really insulting. Treasure Planet had a pretty sucky script. That kind of movie has been done a million times by Disney. The need to try something completely different. So they did Lilo and Stitch(ooh look... Success!). And Sinbad's story didn't look interesting to begin with. I don't see any manga "influence" there.

The only popular american animation that really uses manga and anime styles would be Teen Titans, Samurai Jack, and Power Puff Girls (oh wait and Puffy Ami Yumi). But they are all TV programs. I haven't really seen any American Animated movies that use a more Anime feel. So who is to say that Anime can't break through to American Box Offices. Someone just has to find the right property and do it up right.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Interesting how they also completely ignored the box-office success of the Matrix movies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but werent they 'manga inspired'?
pandorina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Interesting how they also completely ignored the box-office success of the Matrix movies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but werent they 'manga inspired'?
Not only that one but Kill Bill had an Anime Sequence in it. How could they ignore that!!!! Rolling Eyes
pandorina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Astray:
Quote:
It seems as if they were trying to relate it to the recent boom in the comic->movie trend in the US, but there are striking differences...

Mainly that comic books make more money as movies, while manga is making more money than anime. Also, comic books are declining in spite of movie sales, while manga increases with anime exposure.
Of course they are completely ignoring the direct to DVD anime TV and Movies sales. If they were to look at those figures I think they may be suprised.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
The Matrix and Kill Bill are both amalgamations of influences from all over the place (and the "anime" sequence of Kill Bill didn't remind me of any anime in particular). People on anime forums have a tendency to focus mainly on the anime influences.

Anyway, talking about anime influences in a handful of "geek"-oriented American live-action films would have been beyond the scope of the article.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
The anime scene in 'Kill Bill' looked rather Gainax-y in my opinion.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:22 am Reply with quote
Actually, the Kill Bill scene was Production I.G.

OK, maybe we should do the math to figure out how Spirited Away should have done had it been given a wide release:

OK, it was in limited release of on average 100 theaters for 254 days and it made roughly $5 million. Divide $5 million by 254 and you get a daily average of $19,645. Now, the regular 2,000 theaters for a wide release is 20 times more theaters than Sprited Away's intial release. Multiply the daily average by 20 and you get $392,901. That gives us a BO total so far of $99,796,803. Then we need to include the "wide" release (which was really not that much wider than most live-action limited releases) of around 600 theaters where the movie made another $5 million. While it was in release for 42 weeks, I doubt it really could have made any big increases after the movie's DVD release, so that gives us 18 days. So during these 18 days, the movie made about $4 million, giving us a daily average of $222,222. Multiply that by 3 and we get $666,666. So now we can add another $12 million to the should-be gross. So in the end a wide release of Spirited Away should have gotten somewhere between $100 million and $120 million, with an opening weekend of around $30-$40 million.

Did the person who wrote this article consider how American remakes of anime don't tend to fare well? The '80s Guyver movies were godawful, and when Disney was planning on making remakes of Ghibli movies for a while, there was quite a battle between Eisner and John Lassetter which would later lead to the release of Spirited Away and the break-up between Disney and Pixar. I assume that the EVA movies will be good, if only due to WETA's amazing art direction and effects work and the fact they don't seem to be getting rid of the controversial elements ala the His Dark Materials movie, Monster actually seems to be going somewhere in development, and if Genndy T. is still doing Astro Boy I don't see how it could suck, but everything else is almost a surefire bomb in my eyes.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Cloe wrote:
championferret wrote:
Then again, americans have never been able to properly pronounce the vowel 'o' for some reason, going 'ar' or a horrible 'oh' sound like how they pronounced 'Chobits', even though the japanese say it so it rhymes with 'hobbits'.

What? "Chobits" IS pronounced with a long "oh" sound in Japanese. The original title is ‚¿‚å‚Ñ‚Áƒc, which is literally "cho bi tsu" (pronounced "choh bee tsu.") And "manga" in Japanese, –Ÿ‰æ, is correctly pronounced "mahn gah." But all of that is irrelevant to my point. In American phonetics, the short "o" does sound like "ah" in words like "not" or "pot." And the long "o" sounds like "oh" as in "foe" or "toe." And in dictionary terms, it's absolutely correct. For you to take an entire country's dialect and assert that it's mis-pronouncation because you happen to pronounce words differently is ridiculous. Also, if you took the time to read the text under Mohawk's avatar (the person whose text you chose to ridicule), you'll see he's not even American! Yeesh. Talk about false presumptions.

I was having a laugh, that's all. And Chobits is not pronounced the way they say it in the godfosaken dub, anyone who can read japanese should know that.

ChampionFerret, shut up. You are wrong. Godforsaken dub? Oh, yeah, make up stuff because you don't like it. Purist.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Mugen The Great wrote:

OK, maybe we should do the math to figure out how Spirited Away should have done had it been given a wide release:

OK, it was in limited release of on average 100 theaters for 254 days and it made roughly $5 million. Divide $5 million by 254 and you get a daily average of $19,645. Now, the regular 2,000 theaters for a wide release is 20 times more theaters than Sprited Away's intial release. Multiply the daily average by 20 and you get $392,901. That gives us a BO total so far of $99,796,803. Then we need to include the "wide" release (which was really not that much wider than most live-action limited releases) of around 600 theaters where the movie made another $5 million. While it was in release for 42 weeks, I doubt it really could have made any big increases after the movie's DVD release, so that gives us 18 days. So during these 18 days, the movie made about $4 million, giving us a daily average of $222,222. Multiply that by 3 and we get $666,666. So now we can add another $12 million to the should-be gross. So in the end a wide release of Spirited Away should have gotten somewhere between $100 million and $120 million, with an opening weekend of around $30-$40 million.

Wrong. The per screen average where demand was concentrated will almost inevitably be a lot higher than it would be when demand is diluted across a lot more screens.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:14 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
The anime scene in 'Kill Bill' looked rather Gainax-y in my opinion.
Can't, for the life of me, figure out why. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6