• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hyperdimension Neptunia the Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I really don't think Blanc thinks of Neptune as a friend, and her reaction seems perfectly in character with how she has behaved for the whole show
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale
Wait, so that spoiler[Arfoirejust came out of nowhere at the end?] I thought she became a farmer! LOL, whatever.

The OST was the highlight imo of this finale and I did enjoy listening to that. Action wise was okay I guess. I did not spoiler[predict Arfoire
returning though along with her little sidekick. I miss Plutia and P-Ko though. I didn't see them in the finale.]

Wait..there's still an OVA so maybe some hope there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
"well, that happened"
to beat the dead horse, no doubt the studio was crunched for budget as the fight scenes were certainly non dynamic.
Episode 10 was hands down the stronger closing episode, pretty much I could not recommend this anime to anyone that wasn't already a fan of the source material, and for anyone else "it is forgettable".
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Ep12 -

Rei's VA does a really good job here.

It turned out about how I figured it would although I wasn't expecting spoiler[Arfoire to get the killing blow]. It reminded me of the winner of a certain duel in Tenchi Muyo being spoiler[Mihoshi, who wasn't even one of the combatants.]

So the show turned out pretty well with it's only real drawback being the craptacular fights. All in all I'm glad this got made. I won't be suggesting it to many people because anyone I know who'd like it has already seen it and to anyone else I'd just suggest the games instead. But if I meet anyone who declines on the games I'll be quick to mention the anime version with the disclaimer that, for some reason, the fights are garbage.

Also not recommended for fans of 5pb-chan because... well... why was she even there again?

I'll have to wait and see how Fairy Fencer turns out before I long for an anime of that. I love Agarest but I wouldn't really want an anime of it. And I'm starting to loose hope on a Guardic Gaiden (Guardian Legend) remake game, much less an anime of it out of nowhere.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I started this episode quite a number of times, but held off from watching as I could not find quality that was I happy with from previous episodes, and when I finally got myself to watch it was the fansubber that caused problems. Eventually found it the way I liked it, and I was quite happy with the finale, a sub that seemed to understand exactly what this series needs.

For those of you saying this series should only be recommended to fans of the games, the I disagree as I have never played any of the games and I ended up having a ball with this. I might have come a bit slowly in trying to get into it from so many characters being introduced so quickly, but when I got a handle of it I ended up falling for it. The quirky little jokes that the series did not take itself too seriously, some usually light fanservice, and characters. Neptune was annoying at first in general, but I actually ended up finding her laidback personality kind of endearing, especially when she broke the fourth wall in ways that showed her as being aware. And I only have to say Plutia to get my opinions of her across. I would say a rewatch would probably make me appreciate the series better.

I adored the OP song, Dimension Tripper is a great song, and the first version showed a lot of the animation that grabbed me with the series, it was able to do something that I don't see to often. And when they added a second, it focused instead on the characters, which I had all actually managed to grow onto me so I was very happy to watch. The ED is also very charming, they may be jumping on a huge pair of breasts, but it is the charm. Again the references to the game culture being from references to events to say words being done in a blocky fashion hit well with me.

I would like the chance to buy this series so I can have a new game+ rewatch. I give it a Good , but with a Dusky stamp of approval. It might have its problems with feeling less than accessible at times, hard to get into at first, or too transparent, but I adored it, I always left it to watch last in the day as I knew that I would be happy from it. Also got some emotions out of me a couple episodes ago, earn some extra that is making me right now really consider rating it up. If you are like me: you enjoy magical girl anime with moe, silly sometimes self aware comedy, light fanservice, and videogames? You will like this series.

continue...?

EDIT: I decided to bump up my rating to Very Good, my personal opinions increased it. I don't think it should be missed, even if it is not everyone's type.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
OVA

Yay! More Hyperdimension Neptunia, so happy to see some more. It did confuse me at the beginning though as OVAs are not meant to be serious, and it looked super serious. Until it kind of spoiler[broke it allowed a plot that would create a happier end where Neptune gets to meet P-Ko] again.

And happier ending. I was just happy for some more messing around and the soundtrack.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for pointing this out. I'd forgotten to grab it.

That opening bit was a reference to one of the alternate story paths in the 2nd game which was indeed quite dark (and 10 types of awesome, BTW) called the spoiler[Conquest route]. Basically (game spoilers) spoiler[after getting a specific weapon Nepgear eliminates the other goddess to end all the fighting in Gameindustri. It poses the debate on if competition in the industry is truly helpful or not and does end on a very somber tone.]

When I first saw this ep I naturally thought they were just going to animate that route, since it was a pretty popular discussion topic among japanese and western fans alike. I'm kind of glad they didn't because I feel they should prioritize a "true end" happy ending. If they had multiple OVAs though I'd like them to do both.

This was a great episode. Some of the spoiler[missing transformations] are filled, there was good comedy and lots of good emotion. Actually the winning scene for me was in the end credits when the spoiler[twins hug AU Blanc]. Just the expression on her face made my eyes water and I actually had to pause it. That's expression done right. Also bonus points for Histy's tiny pudding dish.

I added a screenshot of the dolls to my wallpaper cycle. It also reminded me that I want that song.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5