• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece & Tokyo Mew Mew Not Canceled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't think many people would be waiting for Tokyo Mew Mew to be on the air. If they didn't add a cheesy dialouge, and changed the names of the enemies to something stupid, ie. Dren = Nerd backwards, than more people would watch it. They limited the show to only 12 and under, when they could have left it the way it was, which would interest more people. If they aren't even going to dub the rest of the episodes than they prob aren't going to air the show.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
I don't think many people would be waiting for Tokyo Mew Mew to be on the air. If they didn't add a cheesy dialouge, and changed the names of the enemies to something stupid, ie. Dren = Nerd backwards, than more people would watch it. .
To be fair, it's not like the Tokyo Mew Mew names weren't stupid it enough already. I mean, come on, who in their right mind names their daughter Pudding? I feel sorry for whichever girl gets named after fruits when they go to middle school.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
That is true, only in anime will they name their characters after food. Maybe they were hungry when they wrote the storyline.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
To be fair, it's not like the Tokyo Mew Mew names weren't stupid it enough already. I mean, come on, who in their right mind names their daughter Pudding? I feel sorry for whichever girl gets named after fruits when they go to middle school.

Yet the name Momo continues to get play everywhere. Actually there's a boy in The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy named Puddin', but he's a joke character.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I think the weird Japanese names for Lettuce, Mint, and Pudding were part of the series' charm. I personally thought they were rather cute, in a Engrish-y way. And Ichigo and Zakuro are actually pretty good names. The fact that the dub cut out these cute and memorable names and replaced them with unmemorable, lame ones confuses me. They were very marketable names. I wouldn't even mind if Ichigo became "Strawberry" and Zakuro "Pomegranate,"(sp?) the translations of their names, or something. But I always thought the silly names were so cute and fun Smile
MysticDreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote
But what about their english names. Elliot, zoey, renee, bridget, and so on. They are good.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
. I wouldn't even mind if Ichigo became "Strawberry" and Zakuro "Pomegranate,"(sp?) the translations of their names, or something. But I always thought the silly names were so cute and fun Smile
I would've preferred it if they had kept their Japanese names even if they were cheesy. But if they were going to change it I think they should have kept their Japanese names as their Mew Mew names and used the English names for their secret identities. At least then we'd have a semi-logical explanation why nobody recognizes the Mew Mews until they've transformed in front of them when they aren't wearing any masks or anything to disguise them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
MysticDreamer wrote:
But what about their english names. Elliot, zoey, renee, bridget, and so on. They are good.

I don't know where they came up with those names because they aren't even similar to their Japanese names. I think they just picked them out of a hat. I think they should have at least kept their last names. Or keep the villians names the same because names of villians don't have to be real names.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:

Naming people after food or inanimate objects is something that could only ever happen in Japan or in cartoons. It's not like celebrities in America today are so out of touch with reality that they'd name their kids things like Blanket or Apple. They stick to traditional names like Moon unit and Dweezil. Rolling Eyes

I hope I don't turn retarded if I ever get rich or famous.
MysticDreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
MysticDreamer wrote:

I don't know where they came up with those names because they aren't even similar to their Japanese names. I think they just picked them out of a hat. I think they should have at least kept their last names. Or keep the villians names the same because names of villians don't have to be real names.

Yeah but pudding, mint, lettuce? why would you name someone after food?
CanSomebodySayMedic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
As a 4KidsTV forum user since 2005, i've seen that this show sucked and so did one piece (bad disgrace to anime, everywhere.), but the show had some ups and downs (One Piece had its dragraceful "OP Rap" by some rap group i forgot..., and that discrace of a opening that we call "Team Up" by the same holligans the gave us the theme music to winx club. (well, some of the singers, and part of 4kids's in-house band, "The 4Kids 5"))
Plus, the names, bad! 4kids did good by leaving the names of the one piece charaters alone (good enough), but a bad dub and script (and alot of re-writes) gave the show a crash-and-burn, plus Mew Mew Power (The english name given by 4kids entertainment inc.) also had its troubles, notably the names, and the rewrites, and loli-removal changes, but the adverts that 4Kids used (the newspaper ads in black and white, but with scenes in color discribing charater bios.), good call.
4Kids also messed up ANOTHER anime that was in their list. (and its not G.I. Joe Sigma 6, nor That show with some charater that is named "Yoh" (forgot the name... its something... King...) or Ultimate Muscle - The "Ka....whatever" Legacy, and its first "from japan" import, Ultraman Tiga, 'FoodOns is all good...)
U rember that loli-infested world of Magical DoReMi?
well, as long as 4Kids stays away from japan again (and keeps up with more winx episodes, plus an additional Chaotic/TMNT/Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episodes), then we won't be having conflict with the network, some users at the 4KidsTV forums still likes MMP and OP (Mostly migrating to WC/Bratz/Custom avatars very soon enough...), but they seem to not notice, but talks about it on the boards....
The reason im having my say on this is becuase i've been around 4Kids a long time since they started airing FOXBOX (now 4KidsTV) in 2002, the same year for MCK to aired, then died on the same year on tv (not my fault, blame disney/saban and FOX)

--The FZ
a 4KidsTV Forum user.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
MysticDreamer wrote:
mistress_reebi wrote:
MysticDreamer wrote:

Yeah but pudding, mint, lettuce? why would you name someone after food?

The creators were probably hungry. I guess because they work at a cafe they thought it would be neat to have charcters names like food. In DBZ there is gohan, trunks, and bra. I though it was interesting with food names because it's anime, but I can't see in real life naming a kid Mint, unless they were a celebrity as blind assassin mentioned.

CanSomebodySaymedic

I agree with that horrible theme song that sucks into your head and won't get out! I prefer the original music when they were transforming. The problem with 4kids is they don't realize that most anime fans aren't children. Instead of making it strictly for children they could broaden the age that way teenagers would watch it. I'm eighteen and I like the manga to Tokyo Mew Mew, which is sad to admit but at least I'm an eighteen year old female who likes Tokyo Mew Mew not a twenty five year old male. The cheesy dialouge and music bothered me the most. Also, the voices but mostly the rewritten script. Hopefully, they learn their lesson in butching anime. I have to admit, they didn't murder this show as much as Tokyo Pop hacked the anime to Rave Master into piece, but still pretty bad.
MysticDreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
yes they probably were hungry. Just listen to the ending song. "I want something really crunchy . Something sweet and sour would be good to"? Just listen to that verse.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they were waiting for their food at a restaurant, or maybe manga artists don't get paid much so they are hungry all the time.
CanSomebodySayMedic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Mistriess, Thanks your your feedback on my views on this, i know 4kids did run an advert back in 2005 that they were going to put OP back, but the holiday season ended, no-show for luffy. (and of course, this was the last time we saw him on US shores, But not cable-wise!)
4kids lied to almost 48 contenental US states, and alomst 3,000,000 million viewers in the world over (Both US and internet via satelite stream.)
thats why we dubbed 4Kids the "anime butchers" after they way they ruined OP. (which was very popular in japan during the post-MCK/peak-of-DB-baised-shows/mid-.hack//ROOTS/pre-Bleach era of japaneese animation.)
also, there was a charater by the name of mint on GA (Galaxy Angel +Enitre Series plus spinoffs+, if you are not familiar with ayncronyms). and there was a sequel to TMM on magna, "a-la-mode" its the magna, londonized. ( The sequel takes place in the UK, i made a new word defining "london-plotted or baised" )

If you need me, i'll be at the "The Anime Network" or "4Kids.TV" forums, my forum name difers there....

--The FZ
4Kids forum user
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6