• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon USA Takes Over Pokemon Licensing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Mukashi wrote:
No fanbase demanding subs and perfect translations? shirokiryuu, what is it you're smoking? I want some. There is a large fandom around Pokémon which has been demanding exactly that for years, big enough that it actually supports a fansub group doing its best to do exactly that. And given that Edward_K is one of the members of said group, assuming you realise who he is, you'll know that this isn't just some little group of whingy teenagers either.

i said a "big fanbase" ... i mean i don't see as many fans complaining about the series as much as one piece who will boycott the series because of its edits..

^^; just like yashazoid said, you don't have to be a dick about it...

Quote:
Perhaps you should lose your preconceptions of the franchise only being for kids.
the target demographic is for kids, it's natural for me to make assumption it is for kids (not "only" ... for)
Mukashi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Mukashi wrote:
Except he never said that to begin with. He only had speculuation, no firm confirmation of any facts.

Here's the thing - what RELEVANCE did that have to my post?

Me: 4Kids =/= Actors.
You: ZOMG YOU QUOTED MIKE POLLOCK, YOU SUCK.

Hey, maybe you should - I dunno - post something that has to do with what you've quoted? It'd clear up a lot of confusion, and also make you look like less of a retard. I'm sorry I misunderstood what he said, but refrain from being a dick about it.

You (mis)quoted Mike Pollock to make a point (presenting it as if it must be true, because he said it), then came back and said that 4Kids =/= Actors, and that they couldn't know exactly the kinds of things which you (mis)quoted Mike Pollock about.

I fail to see how I'm being a dick pointing out your double standard there.

shirokiryuu wrote:
Mukashi wrote:
No fanbase demanding subs and perfect translations? shirokiryuu, what is it you're smoking? I want some. There is a large fandom around Pokémon which has been demanding exactly that for years, big enough that it actually supports a fansub group doing its best to do exactly that. And given that Edward_K is one of the members of said group, assuming you realise who he is, you'll know that this isn't just some little group of whingy teenagers either.

i said a "big fanbase" ... i mean i don't see as many fans complaining about the series as much as one piece who will boycott the series because of its edits..

^^; just like yashazoid said, you don't have to be a dick about it...

I think perhaps there, you're failing to consider that Pokémon fans would not tend to be as vocal about their fandom on general anime forums, due to the pre-conceptions people have about the franchise and its fans. For instance, how many people do you think would realise someone as well known and respected in the fansub community as Edward_K would be a fan of Pokémon?

I fail again to see how I'm being a dick. The sarcasm?

[quote"shirokiryuu"]
Mukashi wrote:
Perhaps you should lose your preconceptions of the franchise only being for kids.
the target demographic is for kids, it's natural for me to make assumption it is for kids (not "only" ... for)[/quote]

But that's exactly my point, the target demographic isn't for kids. Well...I should clarify that. Under 4Kids, the target demographic for the anime in the US has been at children, there's no denying that, however Nintendo's overall intention for the target demographic of the franchise in the west has, for quite a while now, leaned more towards the pre-teen to young adult demographics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
Mukashi wrote:

I fail again to see how I'm being a dick. The sarcasm?

saying that i'm doing drugs because i think that pokemon doesn't have a bigger fanbase as one piece sounds like being a dick to me...

it's difficult to tell what's sarcasm or not.. if you're going to be sarcastic as least put a [/sarcasm] sign or say so... even if it is sarcasm, sarcasm is often used in a mean tone as well.

I understand that most pokemon fans are in the closet about it because of stereotypes of pokemon, but because i see so many anime fans who don't like pokemon, it's hard to believe they have a larger want-subs fanbase as one piece

but just curious, is that any charts are ratios avaliable for what age groups watch pokemon in Japan.. i've always wondered the difference between what animes get what age groups in Japan versus the U.S.

i apologize if i offended anyone, but it was just an innocent opinion, i wasn't trying to bash pokemon and its fans ^^;
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
Mukashi wrote:
You (mis)quoted Mike Pollock to make a point (presenting it as if it must be true, because he said it), then came back and said that 4Kids =/= Actors, and that they couldn't know exactly the kinds of things which you (mis)quoted Mike Pollock about.

When I said 4Kids =/= actors, it was NOT me complaining about people saying that the current cast would be working on it (speaking of which, why the hell would I say something like that after I posted that I believed just the same!?). What I was complaining about were the people who are like "Well they're keeping the same cast so obviously that means it's the same company lololol!"

But hey, if you want to totally misintrepret my posts, that's fine with me. How did you even get the idea that I was complaining about that?
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:12 am Reply with quote
I hope Nintendo will handle the dubbing of future Pokemon episodes well. Pokemon was the only dub from 4Kids that I actually liked and I would hate to see it start getting screwed up now. I especially enjoyed the English voice artists for Pokemon a lot and I hope they continue to play their respected characters in future episodes. I also hope that this will eventually lead to the downfall of 4Kids. I can't stand that company with all of their pointless edits, bad actors and music composers, and their refusal to release GOOD uncut DVDs. As happy as I was to have the short-lived uncut Shaman King and Yugioh DVDs in the U.S, their release of it was very disappointing. For those claiming that Pokemon has a larger fanbase than what we may think, I'd like to see some proof. There's no doubt in my mind that there could be a lot of closet Pokemon fans out there, but considering that you not only have anime fans bashing Pokemon but also non-anime fans, soccer moms, and the "Pokemon is the devil!" religious fanatics, it's hard for me to believe that. I myself am a Pokemon fan and would be thrilled to see uncut Pokemon in the U.S., but realistically-speaking, do you honestly believe that it would be a smart business move no matter how "big" this fanbase you claim is bigger than we think is?

Regardless of whether more pre-teens and teens have been playing Pokemon since the craze started, Pokemon's target audience has always been for kids, both in Japan and in America. Just because more people outside of Pokemon's target audience are into Pokemon more than the people inside its target audience are doesn't magically mean the target audience has been changed. Until you start seeing blood and expilict sex in Pokemon, the franchise will always be considered by outsiders to be for kids and because Pokemon is considered to be for kids, it wouldn't be very smart to release uncut Pokemon. Nintendo has already recieved enough complaints from the overly-protective parents of America about the evils of Pokemon's "magic" and how Nintendo is "brainwashing" children into believing the theory of evolution. Imagine the horror a soccer mom will experience when she walks down the aisles of her local video store and her child screams out, "Look, mommy! It's a new Pokemon movie!" and she sees the title in big, capitalized letters, "POKEMON UNCUT!".

Almost automatically, the word "uncut" will register in her mind the thought, "Oh no! Nintendo is corrupting my innocent children with those evil, violent, and sex-filled Chinese cartoons! We must ban them!" Do you think Nintendo wants to risk the "evils" of Pokemon all over again? And really, putting the Pokemon movies' cuts aside, is there anything that major in the Japanese version of Pokemon that you abosuletly must have? What all are you going to miss? A couple of breast shots? Watch a fanservice-filled harem anime if you want that. A couple of guns? Watch Trigun if you're desperate for some gun action. Japanese text instead of English text? Go take Japanese classes at school if you want to see Japanese letters. Some skipped episodes that aren't that important to the plot? Most of you complain that Pokemon is too long with all the episodes that were dubbed anyway, so what would be the point? Putting the movies and a few rotten apples aside, most of the episodes of Pokemon aren't that majorly screwed up. With over 500 episodes of Pokemon most people no longer watch religiously and no end in sight, and most of the episodes aren't too badly dubbed, what would be the point of releasing uncut Pokemon? And until you can prove that Pokemon has a larger fanbase than we think, I won't believe that as being good enough reasoning. And even if it does have one, with all the hate Pokemon gets, it's going to take more than a big fanbase to convince the companies that uncut Pokemon can make a profit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, whoever wrote this article, could you clarify where the source came of 4Kids not dubbing future episodes? Someone on another forum doesn't believe it because there's no source given.
coldspider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
Top 10 Selling Games of 2003

-1.PS2 MADDEN NFL 2004
-2.GBA POKEMON RUBY
-3.GBA POKEMON SAPPHIRE
-4.PS2 NEED SPEED:UNDERGROUND
-5.GCN ZELDA:THE WIND WAKER
-6.PS2 GRAND THEFT AUTO:VICE CITY
-7.GCN MARIO KART:DOUBLE DASH
-8.PS2 TONY HAWK UNDERGROUND
-9.PS2 ENTER THE MATRIX
-10.PS2 MEDAL HONOR RISING

Now,while being into the games doesn't necessarily mean that one is into the anime,I think logic dictates that interest in Pokemon goes beyond the target audience.If it was just the "crazy kids and their Pokemon",where are all the Nickelodeon or Disney games on that list? With the exception of Mario Kart,every other game on that list is rated T-M.All of which are aimed at the 13+ demographic.It means that somebody other than the target audience are buying these games.

And as Mukashi said,you're going to have a hard time to get someone to admit they like Pokemon.Sheesh,it's looked down upon in the mainstream and the anime community. =/

As far as the dub goes,you don't have fans whining about the english dub because a)to bring up the topic might indicate you *gasp* like the anime and b)most people believe it's a very good dub.Regardless of the annoying edits we get every now and then.

As for a subbed release,some people have mentioned that with Nintendo taking over,Pokemon might potentially get boxset releases.

Now I think a subbed release and box sets go hand in hand.With the number of episodes the series has,more box sets would seem like a good idea.The added incentive to purchase the box set would be to include the original japanese version with english/spanish/french/etc. subtitles.

Hey,if there's a market for a Thundercats DVD boxset,I'm sure there must be room for Pokemon.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:59 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
Top 10 Selling Games of 2003

-1.PS2 MADDEN NFL 2004
-2.GBA POKEMON RUBY
-3.GBA POKEMON SAPPHIRE
-4.PS2 NEED SPEED:UNDERGROUND
-5.GCN ZELDA:THE WIND WAKER
-6.PS2 GRAND THEFT AUTO:VICE CITY
-7.GCN MARIO KART:DOUBLE DASH
-8.PS2 TONY HAWK UNDERGROUND
-9.PS2 ENTER THE MATRIX
-10.PS2 MEDAL HONOR RISING

Now,while being into the games doesn't necessarily mean that one is into the anime,I think logic dictates that interest in Pokemon goes beyond the target audience.If it was just the "crazy kids and their Pokemon",where are all the Nickelodeon or Disney games on that list? With the exception of Mario Kart,every other game on that list is rated T-M.All of which are aimed at the 13+ demographic.It means that somebody other than the target audience are buying these games.

Compared to the PS2 and the XBox, Nintendo is often seen as a "niche" market in the gaming community. While PS2 and XBox duke it out on a number of genre's, Nintendo focuses more on the Kid/Parent Market by offering a cheap system with kid-friendly games. Also they target kids with the Nintendo DS and the Game Boy Advance systems as well.

Quote:
As for a subbed release,some people have mentioned that with Nintendo taking over,Pokemon might potentially get boxset releases.

Now I think a subbed release and box sets go hand in hand.With the number of episodes the series has,more box sets would seem like a good idea.The added incentive to purchase the box set would be to include the original japanese version with english/spanish/french/etc. subtitles.

Hey,if there's a market for a Thundercats DVD boxset,I'm sure there must be room for Pokemon.

Perhaps this is one of the many reasons why 4Kids never got the renewal contract. With the waning of the Pokemon franchise from it's initial peak, Nintendo might be pursuing ways to garner more money from the property. 4Kids handling of the One Piece property might also be a factor as well, since their is little to no merchendise to be had.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:28 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Nintendo the reason why 4Kids couldn't release uncut Pokemon to begin with? I seem to remember hearing that Nintendo pretty much had 4Kids at gun point to produce a good dub of Pokemon and to not release an official subbed release, but I can't remember where I read that and I have no idea how accurate that info is.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
coldspider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Compared to the PS2 and the XBox, Nintendo is often seen as a "niche" market in the gaming community. While PS2 and XBox duke it out on a number of genre's, Nintendo focuses more on the Kid/Parent Market by offering a cheap system with kid-friendly games. Also they target kids with the Nintendo DS and the Game Boy Advance systems as well.

Uh,doesnt that make it seem even more impressive that a niche market puts up those kinds of numbers? If an anime release took the 2nd or 3rd spot of a top-ten selling DVD list we'd all make a big deal about it.Because it would be a big deal.

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Perhaps this is one of the many reasons why 4Kids never got the renewal contract. With the waning of the Pokemon franchise from it's initial peak, Nintendo might be pursuing ways to garner more money from the property. 4Kids handling of the One Piece property might also be a factor as well, since their is little to no merchendise to be had.

Ugh,hasn't it been "waning" since late 2001?

It's about to be 2006.=/ And it's been around since 98'.

Is the 'craze' over? Yes,it's been long dead.But Pokemon is still a very profitable franchise for Nintendo or for any other company that may be involved,period.It's as simple as that.

Sheesh,you never hear people talk about those "waning" Mario,Zelda,or Metroid franchises do you?

Kouji wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Nintendo the reason why 4Kids couldn't release uncut Pokemon to begin with? I seem to remember hearing that Nintendo pretty much had 4Kids at gun point to produce a good dub of Pokemon and to not release an official subbed release, but I can't remember where I read that and I have no idea how accurate that info is.

No,I've never heard of anything like this either.If this thread stays alive,maybe someone could enlighten us on the subject.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:58 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Ugh,hasn't it been "waning" since late 2001?

It's about to be 2006.=/ And it's been around since 98'.

Is the 'craze' over? Yes,it's been long dead.But Pokemon is still a very profitable franchise for Nintendo or for any other company that may be involved,period.It's as simple as that.

Sheesh,you never hear people talk about those "waning" Mario,Zelda,or Metroid franchises do you?

I never said it was "dead as a horse" type of mentality. While it still has steam, it's not as a speding locomotive like back during the heyday of Poke-mania.
flamegirl88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Just what we need more adults hating pokemon just because the show could end up uncut...that would be the downfall of Pokemon. Yeah right! It's not like every parent watches these shows with their kids because its harmless!
Now they may not but the uncut movies, but thier kid may end up seeing it anyway.
coldspider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

I never said it was "dead as a horse" type of mentality.

What kind of freaky zombie-ass horses do you have living around your neighborhood? Oo;;;

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

While it still has steam, it's not as a speding locomotive like back during the heyday of Poke-mania.

I think everyone is aware of that Abarenbo.As I said,the craze had been dead for awhile now.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

While it still has steam, it's not as a speding locomotive like back during the heyday of Poke-mania.

I think everyone is aware of that Abarenbo. As I said,the craze had been dead for awhile now.

Bottle of Kahoritsuru, here I come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6