• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Down with the Vic-ness

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonic720

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Interesting interview with Vic. I applaud Zac for being restrained at times with subject matter that is clearly polarizing and may oft get fiery. I'm glad he contextualized the "fundamentalist" Christian remark later on for Vic and the audience, as it often carries a negative connotation. Vic's suggestion about using "non-denominational" instead was a nice way to handle the situation before it escalated into anything more.

I say kudos to Vic for being unabashed in his faith and open to talking with the guys about that along with his tenure as a VA. I gained an new respect for Vic when he talked about how he cares about making a positive impact with his life and how he goes about realizing that end. It was disheartening to hear about the VAs who allegedly want to ban him from cons; I hope that's not true, but the cynic in me is inclined to believe him. I agree with him saying other people of influence often use their platform as a pulpit to espouse their deeply held beliefs and passions. Although not every VA is guilty of doing so, there is always a vocal minority. Also, Godspeed to Vic on his mission to share God's love with others. I think it's refreshing to see a Christian who does not shy away from interacting with people of other persuasions and beliefs, rather eagerly goes to them in love just as Jesus and Paul did in their time.

Overall, I learned a lot from this interview and thought it was a fascinating discussion. I hope Zac and Justin can have more VAs on the show in future episodes. It's always nice to hear from an industry insider about what goes down behind the scenes and find out more about why they do what they do.
stardf29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
About the interview itself: It was definitely good. As a fellow Christian, I'm glad Vic did not shy away from the whole "proselytizing" thing. It gets used in a negative way, but honestly, we just want to share something we've encountered that was awesome. It's not much different from seeing a really good movie (or anime series) and wanting to tell all your friends about it.

For those that are interested, there's another interview with Vic on an "anime & Christianity" blog here which also looks at his faith and how it affects his work. It has more detail in how his church reacted to his voice acting job (basically, he was dismissed from being the leader of the worship team over playing a "teenage boy who’s rebellious, agnostic-atheist young boy, and he does magic and alchemy", as well as there being art of his characters on deviantArt ("Vic, deviant! What kind of place is that for a believer, Vic? Deviant? That’s a bad word." You have full permission from this Christian here to roll your eyes.).
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Like how we have some Clamp mind readers, that know what Clamp has or hasn't said.

Or passing conjectured lying theories as fact.

Never met Vic, but I haven't had any problem with his FMA role.

Just curious, but is there really a fandom for American cartoon voice actors, who aren't already Hollywood or TV celebrities. I have never heard of one, but that doesn't mean anything, and have always assumed that anime English VA fandom, was just an anime thing, along with the Japanese VA's.

A lot of people are celebrities just for their voice. That's the thing with voice actors: You hear these people every day in TV and video games, but you don't know you have until you look it up. I bet you've seen/played a hundred things with Tara Strong and Nolan North.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
I don't know what this even refers to but after everything he said on that podcast, it's incredible to me you require a point blank question that amounts to "So Vic, are you a hateful person or not?", which to me would have been both gauche and completely unnecessary. If you can sit through that hour and not understand, I don't think further commentary is going to help you. I'd sit through that second half hour again and really listen this time.

In that he mentioned other VAs pushing their "sexual beliefs" at cons, I think it was a valid follow up question regarding what he means by that. I don't know his heart, but I do know code.

I think it's great that he's accepting of people that dye their hair, pierce themselves, or dress in black. However, there's something more fundamental he did not address. That's what I felt was missing from his message.

Asking someone if they are a homophobe, is implying that you already know they are one, and you just want him to confirm that for you. So it is already a hateful question to begin with.

As for it being a valid follow-up, I disagree. People 'push' things all the time. Whether it be sports, religion, politics, race, sex, climate change and etc. Don't see how that equals homophobe based on the context of what was quoted.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Duplicate post.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Asking someone if they are a homophobe, is implying that you already know they are one, and you just want him to confirm that for you. So it is already a hateful question to begin with.

As for it being a valid follow-up, I disagree. People 'push' things all the time. Whether it be sports, religion, politics, race, sex, climate change and etc. Don't see how that equals homophobe based on the context of what was quoted.
I think there is a little bit of a different interpretation of Draneor's attempt at clarifying. I don't think it's a matter of whether someone is seeking confirmation of an accusation that someone has about someone else. I think this goes back to what Vic himself said about people talking about what they are passionate about. Simply by saying "sexual beliefs" is enough to suggest the difference of opinion represented by his faith and the perceived level of appropriateness of expressing the *other* opinion. When he used the phrase "sexual beliefs" you can assume he's thinking about a guest or panelist who is gay and is open about it. If Vic advocates and encourages talking about things that reflects the person you are or what you believe then someone who is gay and open about it at conventions should be a non-issue to him. Otherwise that kind of makes him a hypocrite.

Anyways after listening to Vic in this podcast I have a much more positive impression of him. I thought he was concise and endearing as usual and I was admittedly touched by his friendliness and huge heart evidenced by the experiences he shared.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Like how we have some Clamp mind readers, that know what Clamp has or hasn't said.

Or passing conjectured lying theories as fact.

Never met Vic, but I haven't had any problem with his FMA role.

Just curious, but is there really a fandom for American cartoon voice actors, who aren't already Hollywood or TV celebrities. I have never heard of one, but that doesn't mean anything, and have always assumed that anime English VA fandom, was just an anime thing, along with the Japanese VA's.

There are several Tara Strong has one fairly important role in a Hollywood movie and that was National Lampoon Senior Trip and no one is going to remember her for that. Same with Nolan North who is in so many video games that Saints Row IV simply has the Nolan North option instead of listing him as male 4.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Momoyuki wrote:
I haven't seen much of Vic's work. But for those of you who think he's a bad voice actor, you should play Persona 4 (PS2). He's great as Junpei, and the P4 dub is top-notch.

I think you mean Persona 3.
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I think there is a little bit of a different interpretation of Draneor's attempt at clarifying. I don't think it's a matter of whether someone is seeking confirmation of an accusation that someone has about someone else. [...] When he used the phrase "sexual beliefs" you can assume he's thinking about a guest or panelist who is gay and is open about it. If Vic advocates and encourages talking about things that reflects the person you are or what you believe then someone who is gay and open about it at conventions should be a non-issue to him. Otherwise that kind of makes him a hypocrite

Yeah this. Thank you for saying it better than I could. In general, I have no issue with him being passionate about his religious beliefs, being open about it, or running a panel at a con about them. But excluding some from the "let's be tolerant and loving" tent--I have an issue with that. If that's the position he wants to take. take it. But don't pretend to be welcoming to everyone if there is a fine print. And that's why the pushing "sexual beliefs" bothers me. It is often used as a sort of false equivalence to imply that merely stating who you are is the same as pushing an agenda. Again, I don't know his heart, but it raised a question for me.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I would like to point out that the problem with the whole CLAMP controversy is that Vic said he PERSONALLY met them, PERSONALLY spoke with them to ask them about Kuro X Fai, and stated that THEY said they weren't a couple. When a fan then pointed out a flaw in his story (which I believe was the fact that none of the members of CLAMP speak a lick of English and he sure as hell doesn't speak any Japanese), he immediately changed it to "Oh, it was actually Colleen Clinkenbeard who met them and asked". Funny how it suddenly became Colleen after he stated, and I quote "I talked to CLAMP. I personally met them." There is a Youtube video of him saying this as proof.

Quite frankly....why would CLAMP reveal such info to American voice actors (especially when this was back when the manga was still on-going and no where near ending)? The girls are very protective of their properties (not to mention they are a very private bunch as they are terrified of stalkers).

And although this is minor, there was also a time where he said he "doesn't drink at all", yet then he immediately stated after that he would have wine or beer with his dinner (he said this in his Rumors panel back in 2010, which is also available on Youtube). I'm sorry but....how is that considered not drinking? They are both alcoholic beverages, are they not?

Fact remains is that he is a liar, he treats people like shit (I sat down with a VA [sorry I can't say who as I am respecting their privacy, so you are free to believe me or not], who worked with Vic, at a bar and during drinks heard quite a few horror stories on how difficult Vic is to work with), and his ego got to his head. Doesn't help that he tends to shove his religion down people's throats and pretends that he isn't a homophobe (Grey Ayres says hi, Vic). I can also personally confirm that he does treat people terribly as he was rather snotty to me when I didn't know who he was when FMA was at its popular peak in 2006.

But in all in all, in MY personal opinion, the guy is a dink and doesn't deserve the adoration his fans give him. Feel free to argue with me but it is my opinion on the man from personal experience, what I have heard from people who worked with him, and what I have seen via panels on Youtube.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Why the hell does this guy have fans? There are voice actors, who do intensive American/Canadian cartoon voice work, who get paid 20X the amount that Vic gets per episode, who have honed their craft and they have no fans. Example Chantal Strand. She has no fans, except for KLAC and nobody seems to talk about her. She's attractive and has a cute voice and is a better actor than Vic, yet no-one likes her. Crying or Very sad Seriously. Look at the differences

https://twitter.com/ChantalStrand
https://twitter.com/vicmignogna

I may hate ClownKrown's bad/negative attitude towards dubs, but I can understand hating Vic at least. He's one of the worst dubbing artists in North America, outside of VAs from New York. New York has horrible voice acting. It doesn't help that most of their dubs are either 4kids dubs or early-mid 90s dubs.

I looked at her resume on Wikipedia and saw mostly Barbie movies on it, so um, I'm going to go with that. I think only MLP VAs can use voicing a little girls show made to sell toys as a selling point. She's done a few anime I guess, but most of her credits are American cartoons and I doubt the kids who watch them care as much for VAs as older fans like anime fans do. Vic's been in a lot of popular anime meanwhile like FMA and sings in the One Piece dub and other stuff.
buckybone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
But excluding some from the "let's be tolerant and loving" tent--I have an issue with that. If that's the position he wants to take. take it.

32:00 -- Vic's talking about how he's "loving and embracing and welcoming"...and there's something that might just be a snort of disbelief in the background.

49:00 -- He actually does address this, calling it "hateful, hurtful, vicious rumors", and he goes on from there until the Twitter questions. Yes, he does get very defensive about it, but he handled it better than I would've.
Meleemasta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
One thing I have noticed about anime fandom: The more popular and loved a thing/person is, the more they hate it regardless of any positive quality. I think it comes from the fact that being into anime already means you are in a small niche that's generally not openly recieved.

It's dumb and people need to grow up.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
Oh that crazy post bashing Zac is gone, thank god! Geez people...

I'm not a fan of his voice, but he sounds like a decent human being to me. But this is just from listening to the podcast (haven't gotten to the faith part yet). I agree that if he was such a jerk, he wouldn't have fans getting autographs and if fans didn't want him, he wouldn't be at conventions.

Last edited by grooven on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
bkmyers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
[ Also, Vic is non-union and the majority of US cartoons are union
Quote:

Vic is a SAG member and does frequent union projects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14