• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Picks up Bleach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tessou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:29 am Reply with quote
Griffyn612 wrote:
It's supposed to be Na-RU-to, but the english version pronounces it NA-ru-TO. biiiig difference, if you ask me. which you didn't. nevermind.

Um... that's how it's pronounced in Japanese. Just like TA-ku-MI (Initial D) or ICH-i-GO (Bleach). The Naruto dub was trying to more "authentic" by pronouncing his name the original way, instead of using the familiar stressing of the English language.

That aside, I'm quite surprised that [AS] picked this sucker up. I've only read the first tankoubon, but from what I've seen it's pretty damn good.

I won't go into it about dub voices, but The Ocean Group will probably be involved.
ThirdWizard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
Griffyn612 wrote:

It's supposed to be Na-RU-to, but the english version pronounces it NA-ru-TO. biiiig difference, if you ask me. which you didn't. nevermind.

Sad It's NA-ru-To. Not na-RU-to. na-RU-to makes me cry. Just like ka-KA-shi makes me curl up into a ball. At least they have SA-ku-ra right, IIRC.

You'll rarely get it wrong if you emphasise the first syllable and ignore 'u's that come after 's's (pronounces so slightly you can barely hear it). NAruto, SAkura, SAs[u]ke.
coldspider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
Griffyn612 wrote:

ThirdWizard wrote:

Sad It's NA-ru-To. Not na-RU-to. na-RU-to makes me cry. .

W-t-F....

The difference you're hearing is that some of the english VAs cant pronounce (or choose not to pronounce) the japanese "r" sound.It's similar to the spanish "r" except you don't actually roll it.
ThirdWizard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:34 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:

W-t-F....
The difference you're hearing is that some of the english VAs can't pronounce (or choose not to pronounce) the japanese "r" sound.It's similar to the spanish "r" except you don't actually roll it.

Ah no, the VAs for Naruto pronounce Naruto correctly. I didn't mean to imply that they didn't. It's people who pronounce it incorrectly that make me cry. But, they do pronounce Kakashi incorrectly.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:53 am Reply with quote
Griffyn612 wrote:
bleach is better than naruto.
And what evidence can you cite of this? I took a quick listen to some scenes in episode 2, and I didn't hear any additional emphasis on "ru." Also...
japanese.about.com wrote:
A stress accent pronounces the syllable louder and holds it longer. English speakers speed up between accented syllables unconsciously. Pitch accent is based on the two relative pitch levels of high and low. Each syllable is pronounced with equal length. Each word has its own determined pitch and only one accent summit. Japanese sentences are made up like a melody with rising and falling pitches. Unlike English's uneven rhythm, Japanese sounds like a steadily flowing stream.

Or in other words, Japanese stresses all syllables in a word equally, so NA-ru-TO is closer. The "u" sound happens to be a bit softer in this case.

I think Bleach will do pretty well on AS, and it shouldn't be too hard to dub...very few feminine "cute" voices, which is where many dubs falter. There might be a problem with some of the special terms for attacks and devices, but those problems will mainly come from fans saying, "I watched fansub A and they said 'Seireitei' / I watched fansub B and they said 'Court of Pure Souls'." I could see Shinigami being left in, since it's a unique Japanese cultural term that doesn't have a reasonable equivalent. (Our version of "Death God" is a bit different.) Then again, they could go with Soul Reaper as in the manga. Zanpakutou, on the other hand...it really means "cut soul sword," or a sword that cuts/destroys Souls, so I'm sure they'll go with some English version of it.
Erufu wrote:
I never thought Bleach was going to get licensed, let alone appear on a channel I actually get.
And may I ask, why did you think it wouldn't get licensed? It's hugely popular in Japan and in the fansub world, the manga has been released over here with decent sales, and the show itself...hip characters with edgy attitudes having swordfights, using supernatural powers a la Naruto / DBZ, killing monsters... lots of comedy, no hard-to-understand cultural references, many episodes for many DVDs and a long TV run...these are all ingredients in a recipe for success. AFAIK, most stuff that finishes airing and doesn't get licensed for years is slow-paced, culturally dense, or in the shoujo / drama / romance category.
NezuChiza wrote:
Considering how much money Viz HAS to have paid to get the anime license, showing it on Adult Swim is going to cut into DVD profits by a huge margin.
Really? Honestly, I don't know where to go to find these statistics, but haven't DVDs of FMA, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, DBZ, Outlaw Star, and Samurai Champloo sold pretty well? I can't imagine them doing worse than anime DVDs from series that were never on TV.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
Romuska wrote:
Dang, ANN is late on this one. Wasn't this announced over a week ago? Anyway, at least its not on Toonami so this should be pretty good. (I'm sticking with the original version though)

For what it's worth, the official announcement was today, and I'm pretty sure Bleach wasn't leaked ahead of time like Eureka 7 was.

Oh, ok. I found out about it on another site about 3 weeks ago but if the official announcement was today then I understand why they would wait for now.

Speaking of Eureka 7, I saw a bit of that show. Didn't expect adult swim to pick that one up. It seems a bit Toonami-ish. But if its on AS then I'm sure the dub will be pretty good. The only shows I thought were poorly dubbed that aird on AS was the first 20 or so episodes of Inuyasha and Detective Conan.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
CannibalTree wrote:
Ah great, another great anime falls prey to horrible english dubbing...oh how I despise [AS] for airing that junk. They should stick to their own programming and leave the corrupted anime well enough alone.

The good outweight the bad. Many anime fan that can't download fansub would now be able to enjoy the show. It also bring in new people that have no exposure to Bleach or Anime. Imagine for every one hardcore Bleach-tard that are turn off by their favorite series being dubbed for TV, five new fan/non-fan will discover the show and love it. More anime on TV is a good thing as new people are discoving anime.

But if you don't like the dub, just don't watch it. I don't think anybody is forcing you to. There are alternative, like just buying the uncut DVD and watch it in Japanese.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:36 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Why is it that EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD. on this board eventually devolves into either....

A. A sub-vs.-dub debate
B. A "downloading anime should/shouldn't be legal" debate
C. All of the above.

Fer crissakes, is that all there is to talk about? Sheesh....

That's just the nature of the beast. Get this many people together on one conversation and these things are bound to come up. *shrugs*

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alex K.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
Griffyn612 wrote:
Viz may botch the voices, but Naruto's VA's weren't that bad. only problems i saw were Naruto's VA and how they pronounce it.

bleach is better than naruto.

Just shut up. Please.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
NezuChiza wrote:
Considering how much money Viz HAS to have paid to get the anime license, showing it on Adult Swim is going to cut into DVD profits by a huge margin.
Really? Honestly, I don't know where to go to find these statistics, but haven't DVDs of FMA, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, DBZ, Outlaw Star, and Samurai Champloo sold pretty well? I can't imagine them doing worse than anime DVDs from series that were never on TV.

I don't know about the others, but InuYasha's sold over a million copies, and it's been on AS since the beginning. AS, I think, helps DVD sales by giving the shows more exposure.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

But if you don't like the dub, just don't watch it. I don't think anybody is forcing you to. There are alternative, like just buying the uncut DVD and watch it in Japanese.

Good show. There's too much unnecessary wailing around here. People who complain about the Naruto dub should really check out what happened to One Piece. -.-;
coldspider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Overall I just think it's very difficult to complain about dubs nowadays.I mean,if you want to see bad dubs try watching almost anything that was produced before the late 90's.I have a VHS of Dirty Pair Flash that you gotta hear to believe. @_@;
fxg97873

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I just came back from the PJT tour of Studio Pierrot and they had stated that Bleach would air on AS either September or October.

mk2000
CannibalTree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote
There's no doubt that dubbing is the format of choice of many because they've never experianced a show with the real voice actors, which preservers the nuances and quality of the original audio. Their stuck listening to horrible dubs simply because they dont know any better.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's no doubt that dubbing is the format of choice of many because they've never experianced a show with the real voice actors, which preservers the nuances and quality of the original audio. Their stuck listening to horrible dubs simply because they don't know any better.

Ok, i know this has been said sevral times, but don't bitch about dubs (edits r a copletely different matter...damn edits). sure, some [dubs] are lousy (I.E.: Ruroken(anime works, not ADV) inital D, s-CRY-ed, One Piece, Naruto, etc...) but there are also some very good ones like Evangelion, Hellsing, and Samurai X(Ruroken's ADV dub) just because its dubbed, duznt make it crappy, hell, most of the shows I like (with the exeption of the above) are dubbed pretty well (in my opinion anyways).

Next time think before shoving your thoughts down other peoples throat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7