• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Retires From Making Feature Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Sad news indeed. He has given so much to the industry and to the art of animation. Over the years his work may have declined a bit, beginning with Spirited Away (although I enjoyed it quite a bit) and followed by Howl and Ponyo. To be honest, though, despite all that, I always felt that Miyazaki was one of those individuals who was incapable of retirement due to his passion and the fact that he is clearly a workaholic. I am still under the belief that he will work in some capacity, if even just as a producer, in the years to come. Miyazaki is the reason I became an anime fan and his work had an enormous impact on me during my later high school years. Princess Mononoke and My Neighbor Totoro (as well as the Nausicaa manga) remain among my favorite films and will not likely be surpassed (be it live action or animation).

I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to see The Wind Rises at TIFF next week. It will be even more memorable than I realized after hearing this news.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
jsieczkar wrote:
With his retirement history I kinda have to shrug at this announcement. Is he actually retiring, is it once again temporary till he doesn't like what Ghibli is doing, or is the whole thing just Oscar buzz.

It may very well be a temporary leave of absence. I wouldn't assume this is set in stone just yet, though it very well could be this time. I don't think it has anything to do with Oscar buzz whatsoever. Miyazaki has been very outspoken about award ceremonies and couldn't care less about them. He refused to go to the Oscars when he was nominated for Spirited Away and I don't thing his stance on the matter has changed at all.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd be somber, but Miyazaki's recent flicks don't command the worship he receives. He's never made a bad film, or even a "decent" film, but holy crud, can he make fluff.

Also, he's been upstaged by his ex-student, Mamoru Hosada, for the past three "films'.

Still, hey, he's a massive figure in the industry--no denying that. If he wants to make waves with an allegation of retirement, then I'll tip my hat to the man. Rock on, you cantankerous old man, you.
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
It may very well be a temporary leave of absence. I wouldn't assume this is set in stone just yet, though it very well could be this time. I don't think it has anything to do with Oscar buzz whatsoever. Miyazaki has been very outspoken about award ceremonies and couldn't care less about them. He refused to go to the Oscars when he was nominated for Spirited Away and I don't thing his stance on the matter has changed at all.

All this talk of 'Oscar-bait' movies makes me think most people here don't know Miyazaki very well if they think he cares about American award ceremonies.. or America in general probably. Laughing
bin1127

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
The first moment goro bombs his next film Hayao will be back.

But the japanese government should reward him with a Zero replica for Miyazaki's role in spreading appreciation of japanese animation around the world. without the war mongering conatations of course.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
Thank you for Princess Mononoke.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Xristophoros wrote:

All this talk of 'Oscar-bait' movies makes me think most people here don't know Miyazaki very well if they think he cares about American award ceremonies.. or America in general probably. Laughing

Hayao Miyazaki doesn't care about awards, period. He no showed the emperor, for God's sake.

I'm actually very happy for this. Miyazaki has been terrible since Howl. I rated Howl high because of aesthetics, not because it was good. The characters were bland, and everything just sucked. Ponyo sucks for obvious reasons. Also, Hayao Miyazaki produced the dub of Ponyo, which takes off extra points from him, because that dub was horrendous. What else? He shoves his opinions down other people's throats like the I-Pad thing, "being comparable to masturbation" or some stupid shit like that. He also bash the former president of Japan for promoting anime and manga, which is stupid. He bashed Tomino in the past. I hate Tomino's personality, but learn some respect. Tomino has been in anime for longer than even Miyazaki and has done more for anime. If it wasn't for Tomino, Miyazaki probably wouldn't be doing anime.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:08 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
If it wasn't for Tomino, Miyazaki probably wouldn't be doing anime.

You had better have a very good explanation for this statement. They both started working in anime roughly the same time (1963) and for Miyazaki it was The Tale of the White Serpent (1958), which made him want to become an animator.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 am Reply with quote
He stricks me as someone who will not be able to stop even after his "retirement". My guess is he will have a few little side projects or may be asked for advise or thoughts on future films. I doubt he will be able to stay away from the industry completely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
If it wasn't for Tomino, Miyazaki probably wouldn't be doing anime.

You had better have a very good explanation for this statement. They both started working in anime roughly the same time (1963) and for Miyazaki it was The Tale of the White Serpent (1958), which made him want to become an animator.

1. The success of Tetsuwan Atom or Astro Boy or whatever you want to call it. If it wasn't fat Astro Boy's success, many people might not have wanted to be aspiring animators/directors/writers. Miyazaki may have been influenced by White Serpent, but comparatively, Tomino was in a much higher position than Miyazaki. A writer is one of the top dogs. They also get royalties. Also, loads of anime would have never been made, had it not been for the success of whatever you want to call it.

2. Characters. Tomino introduced ambiguity in anime. Prior to Gundam, most bad guys were pure evil, with zero redeeming factors. Good guys had little to no flaws in them. Nausicaa showed the heroine had a bit of a dark side, when Nausicaa kills her father's killers in cold blood. It also shows that Kushana and her army aren't all that bad, despite the fact she's a "villain" or whatever. The Earth Federation were corrupt and they ruled the space colonies with an iron fist, despite being the "good guys." Zeon only really declared war, because of how the EF was acting. That's not really all that bad. They just wanted independence. Though Zeon did drop colonies on Earth

3. Popularity of the Gundam trilogy launched anime into a new era.

Overall, if it wasn't for Tomino, I don't think Miyazaki would have been where he was today.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:30 am Reply with quote
While I share the skepticism others have about Miyazaki's "retirement", I find myself intrigued at the thought of Anno taking the reins ( even if it is just for one movie).
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

1. The success of Tetsuwan Atom or Astro Boy or whatever you want to call it. If it wasn't fat Astro Boy's success, many people might not have wanted to be aspiring animators/directors/writers.

Miyazaki isn't one of those many. In fact, he doesn't like any of Tezuka's anime.

YamadaKun wrote:

Before Gundam (1979) Hayao Miyazaki debuted as chief director with Future Boy Conan (1978), of which Monsley a prototype of Kushana. I don't see any Gundam influence in any Miyazaki movies but I can easily see how Future Boy Conan influenced his later works.

YamadaKun wrote:
3. Popularity of the Gundam trilogy launched anime into a new era.

There was already Space Battleship Yamato before Gundam.

YamadaKun wrote:
Overall, if it wasn't for Tomino, I don't think Miyazaki would have been where he was today.

That's pure speculation on your part.[/quote]
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
@Ryo In any case, even if Miyazaki had no influence by Tomino, he should still respect him. He shaped the anime industry as it is today and if it wasn't for him, loads of great anime wouldn't have existed. He's the George Lucas of Japan, Tomino is, even though like Lucas, he's been stale since the climax of Turn A and before that, he's been stale since Gundam ZZ. Though Miyazaki isn't fresh. Also Miyazaki tends to be ultra critical to anything, except products made by himself, Takahata and according to John Lasseter, he views Pixar/John in the same way John sees Studio Ghibli, but outside of that, he hates everything.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Yeah, I'd be somber, but Miyazaki's recent flicks don't command the worship he receives. He's never made a bad film, or even a "decent" film, but holy crud, can he make fluff.

Also, he's been upstaged by his ex-student, Mamoru Hosada, for the past three "films'.

Still, hey, he's a massive figure in the industry--no denying that. If he wants to make waves with an allegation of retirement, then I'll tip my hat to the man. Rock on, you cantankerous old man, you.

There's no denying the talent of Hosada. His last three films have been among my favorite anime features of the past 5 years. He is one of the few directors in Japan who has the ability to carry the torch when Miyazaki steps down. But to say that Miyazaki has never created a "decent" film. What do you mean by that exactly? I don't know how you define a good movie, but it sounds like you are being awfully biased and unfair. Perhaps Miyazaki's movies never resonated with you for whatever reason, but he deserves all the attention he gets and clearly has the world to back it up. Aside from Tetzuka, there has and never will be a figure in the anime (or entire animation industry for that matter) as influential as Miyazaki.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
Gotta love the "Miyazaki sucked after Spirited Away" canard from people who really mean "I started to get tired of Ghibli's way of filmmaking after awhile." For instance Ponyo's just as valid for what it is as My Neighbor Totoro (a very pretty, fairly laid-back children's movie that is not at all for the anime fans who complain about it), yet it's supposed to exemplify how the man jumped the shark somehow. Yeah, no. On his worst day he's done enviable work that I'd gladly sit through again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7