• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
DaZ616 wrote:
Waiting for the next volume of XXXHOLiC is such a pain(still waiting for it after about 3 Months!!), thats why it lead me to start reading the ones listed above!

-DaZ

Yeah what is up with that, I am reading Death Note too and it comes out like every 2 months or so(which is fine), xxxHolic is taking forever, which sucks because I am liking the artwork. Luckly I got some finished manga being sent to me right now to fill the gap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Yeah what is up with that, I am reading Death Note too and it comes out like every 2 months or so(which is fine), xxxHolic is taking forever, which sucks because I am liking the artwork. Luckly I got some finished manga being sent to me right now to fill the gap.

It probably has something to do with the fact that vol 8 of XXXHolic is still fairly recently out in Japanese. I find that companies tend to slow down releases as they catch up to the Japanese releases...and of course, once they have caught up Wink
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:29 am Reply with quote
As everyone else said, Freesia is utterly insane. Most of the manga's appeal comes not from the actual stories about vengeance, but the actual world and how its madness reflects in the characters. Each of the enforcers seems to represent an social attitude about violence: Yamada is the logical side, the attempt to justify violence; Mizoguchi is instinctual, embracing the lust of violence openly; Kano is obviously neither of the two categories, and his psychosis makes it impossible to pin his character down at this point (I'm actually only up to volume 4). In many ways, he's a perfect reflection of the society he lives in: a facade put up to hide the reality of its true nature. Anyways, great manga.
Edit: I just noticed this, but does anyone else see shades of Norman Bates in Kano and his mother? While she clearly isn't like the "woman" in Psycho, their relationship certainly reminds me of certain aspects of that film.
Entrail-sama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Right now I'm obsessed with Deathnote. The story really amazes me, there is a turnpoint in almost each volume. I can barely wait until vol. 6. I also read Negima and I like it a lot as well, but not as much as Deatnote.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
Various Hiroki Endo Short Stories - Because I peed a little after reading that Dark Horse would be releasing collections of his short stories. Individually, some of them are even better than his Eden stuff.

Seriously? Better than Eden? Give me some titles, please...I've only come across three things I like more than Eden (Berserk, 20th Century Boys, Monster), so I'm quite interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
milcor1 wrote:
Various Hiroki Endo Short Stories - Because I peed a little after reading that Dark Horse would be releasing collections of his short stories. Individually, some of them are even better than his Eden stuff.

Seriously? Better than Eden? Give me some titles, please...I've only come across three things I like more than Eden (Berserk, 20th Century Boys, Monster), so I'm quite interested.

This can be said for alot of manga-ka: their shorter works are better than the single epic they're most often associated with. As amazing as Akira is (basically what Eden wants to be), Domu remains the best thing Otomo has ever produced. While I do like Freesia, it remains largely inferior to Matsumoto's shorter works. While Dance Till Tommorow is hardly an action epic, it's Naoki Yamamoto's longest and probobly most successful title, despite infinitely better stories like Believers and Arigatou from the man. On the other hand some authors (Kazuo Koike, Buroson, most shonen manga-ka) don't seem to do short manga all that well. Guess it varies from author to author.
Wakaiba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Naoki Urasawa's Monster v.1, which I liked. Parts of it are a little predictiable, and he rushes into a few scenes without much character development for my tastes (for example, "you're like a father to me" with the lock-picker), but overall I'm enjoying it. I've been looking for a good hospital/crime drama manga for a while. I picked up Fake a while ago thinking it would fill that void. That was a mistake.

I'm currently reading Tezuka's Pheonix, and I have the first volume of Buddha for afterwards (it took me forever to find a paperback version). I've become interested in older titles a lot recently. Are there any other '60s/'70s titles out there one could reccomend to me?
edit- reading the above posts about Domu and Akira, I aggree; Domu surpassed anything I had read up to date about a year ago (which isn't saying much seeing as I've only been a fan for 6 years).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
coolerimmortal wrote:
milcor1 wrote:

This can be said for alot of manga-ka: their shorter works are better than the single epic they're most often associated with. As amazing as Akira is (basically what Eden wants to be), Domu remains the best thing Otomo has ever produced. While I do like Freesia, it remains largely inferior to Matsumoto's shorter works. While Dance Till Tommorow is hardly an action epic, it's Naoki Yamamoto's longest and probobly most successful title, despite infinitely better stories like Believers and Arigatou from the man. On the other hand some authors (Kazuo Koike, Buroson, most shonen manga-ka) don't seem to do short manga all that well. Guess it varies from author to author.

How interesting...

Frankly, I think Eden surpassed Akira quite some time ago (and I love Akira)...I've read Believers (not too impressed), but not Dance Till Tomorrow. I started Domu once but haven't finished it...if it's that good, I suppose I'll have to finish it.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Frankly, I think Eden surpassed Akira quite some time ago (and I love Akira)...I've read Believers (not too impressed), but not Dance Till Tomorrow. I started Domu once but haven't finished it...if it's that good, I suppose I'll have to finish it.

I guess on a purely character level Eden makes you care a bit more about them since in manages to portray war pretty brutally, though the overall plot doesn't seem to match up to Akira.
Though I'm not really suprrised when I find people who don't like or "get" Beleivers, it still really saddens me. Naoki Yamamoto's storytelling style (post-DTT) simply is difficult to understand for most people (makes extensive use of illusion vs. reality), not to mention the story demands you actually have to read something without any fun violence or cute characters or humor, which is what alot of manga fans want. It's something you actually have to think alot to understand all of what Yamamoto is trying to say, but the payoff is emense: an existential story that actually manages to be a truely touching (though deeply sad) love tale. Like I said, most people simply aren't going to "get" what it's subtlety (or even get past the first volume), but it truely is one of the finest examples of seinen manga currently translated.
Speaking of subtlety, I've been reading Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou over again. This is another series that alot of people just seem to hate because "nothing happens." All I can say about the fact that there are six "worst ever" votes for it is that many manga fans are stupid. It's one of those rare series that doesn't need to smack you over the head with philisophical jargon in order to be deep or thought-provoking; it manages to express so much through simple, touching depictions of normal everyday life.
Monumension

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I've been reading Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou over again. This is another series that alot of people just seem to hate because "nothing happens." All I can say about the fact that there are six "worst ever" votes for it is that many manga fans are stupid.

I believe it's a result of trolling. People disagree with the series' high rating and vote "worst ever" because it's the most effective way to get the rating down. I've seen a little of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and although it didn't really catch my interest it's certainly lightyears away from the "worst ever" manga.

Speaking of Eden; I just finished reading volume 3 now and the last 10-12 pages were among the most shocking and disturbing things I've seen for a while. Seems like the story can get pretty epic so I'll continue on it.
sweet gimmick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I am also currently reading Ouran High School Host Club, while still watching the anime. And I dont know which one I like more...Normally, I would prefer the anime over the manga. But its different with this series. Either way the manga and anime are both great, and I'm now obessed with the series. Thanks and Laters.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I believe it's a result of trolling. People disagree with the series' high rating and vote "worst ever" because it's the most effective way to get the rating down. I've seen a little of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and although it didn't really catch my interest it's certainly lightyears away from the "worst ever" manga.

Maybe some of the votes, but I do know that a small number of people hate the series because "nothing happens." I can see why you or others wouldn't like the series, as it's radically diffrent than 99% of the manga being translated; the appeal (in my opinion) comes from self-reflection while reading it rather than following a structured narrative, which I think is the reason it's developed such a devoted (sometimes a bit scary) fanbase. Still, like you said, "Worst Ever" is going overboard.

Harukana Machi-E-On the surface, this sounds like a bland Hollywood comedy: a middle-age salary man finds himself back in his fourteen year old body and must cope with living in his own past. There is one important diffrence from this and being a reverse-Big: it's written and drawn by Jiro Taniguchi, one of the modern masters of manga. Best known in the States for his hardboiled crime stories and his colaboration with Moebius on the Scifi epic "Icaro," most of Taniguchi's oversea acclaim has been for his work in the slice-of-life or drama genres. Rather than making the concept into a wacky comedy, he brings a great deal of maturity to the subject: out main character, a man who very well may be having a midlife crisis, is suddenly thrust into the time just before his father left his family. I've read half of the series, and so far it looks to be Taniguchi's finest writing effort yet; a nostalgic and bittersweet look at the past and how it makes us into the people we become.
To those who are unfamiliar with Taniguchi, there are several of his works published in english. My favorite is Hotel Harbor View, a collection of two noir tales that are heavy on the existentialism, very much like the film "Le Samourai." Another noir collection from him is Benkei in New York. This one is pretty different than HHV, bearing more resemblance to pulp yarns. It's less sophisticated than HHV, but it makes it up in terms of enjoyment. I'll also point out that on a purely technical level Taniguchi is arguably the greatest manga artist I've seen yet. His drawings bear an insane about of detail. That isn't to say he's the best or my favorite, but it's an experience to look at his artwork.
VioLence86

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
I am reading AKIRA
again Very Happy I just dont know anything better!

RANMA 1/2

In finland they publish ranma,but i must wait a month
before the next will come Crying or Very sad

Elfquest(i am not sure is it more manwha or manga)
Elves are soo beautiful Very Happy

Inyasha

Dream man (or beast? Wink )
Mishamew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Wull, what I'm currently reading/ collecting right now are:
Kamichama Karin, Faerie's Landing, Chibi Vampire, MAR, and a whole bunch more I forget. Heh I'm all over the place because some of the manga volumes I have to wait a while to get and read so I buy new series. So now, with all that, I'm nearly up to 100. Only four more books to go Very Happy and I'm happy... wull... not the spending money part but yeah. Very Happy
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
VioLence86 wrote:
Elfquest (i am not sure is it more manwha or manga)
Elves are soo beautiful

ElfQuest would actually qualify more as one of the first "world manga" titles, if you want to use that term. Wendy Pini was heavily inspired by Japanese manga when she created ElfQuest, but the series itself is 100% American fantasy. It's been around for 25+ years and is quite popular. I'm pleased that since her contract with DC Comics, Wendy has been able to devote more time to story creation and there's new material coming out now.

As for what I've been reading, it's pretty much all been light sorts of things. Today, for example, I caught up on Her Majesty's Dog. I wouldn't call that deep reading by any stretch of the imagination, but it's fun and kinda silly, and there are occasional points of depth to it.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 154