• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Governor: Quake-Affected ACE Event 'Deserved It'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximym Meyham!!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
I understand your perspective, and I agree that this resembles much of the whole "Imitate the West" concept going through back in the Meiji era, but I can't say his opponents are any more traditional than he is. Modern and western concepts have worked themselves deep, and it's hard to pull back out of them.

Well, I believe these so called "modern" concepts are very useless, if you ask me. The word modern is such a vain word, as if it's attempting to say that the era it presents in the zenith of achievement and all what we can do.

And either way, I don't feel Ishihara is even super traditional, like pre Tokugawa traditional. His ideas are so damned Meiji styled, it's disheartening to see this development. Even the people of Tokyo have his view. I'm not saying that advancing in technology is bad, but thinking that you have to change everything about your whole culture just because it has a different rate of development and isn't aesthetically same or same in meaning than others isn't what I would call revolutionary. That's disharmonious in itself and just reeks of self pity and ungratefulness. I don't know what Ishiihara wants, but I know that what beliefs he has aren't with anything truly harmonious with Yamatodamashii. Meiji era progress essentially derailed the true meanings of tradition and rewrote any sort of true traditional values in order to "modernize". That makes it lose any sort of credibility, at least to me.

Of course, remembering that sometime in the past, Kabuki was also looked down upon by the government too... [/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5