• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World Cosplay Summit Runner-Up Raises More Questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Djinn_Wired

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:19 am Reply with quote
People keep talking about the RoV team 'not being alowed to compete', the other team being 'robbed' of their taxi ride... I think perhaps you're forgetting that Aichi TV PAID for all international and domestic travel once inside Japan; accomodation; hosted parties and sightseeing for the participant etc etc. There are a lot of people involved... so a taxi didn't show up on time? Cut them some slack, they had alot of organising to do! I watched this year's contest and all I saw were friendly Japanese staff who were all into cosplay doing everything they could to keep all the contestants happy... running backwards and forwards to Macdonalds, finding ice to keep them cool in their costumes and so on (they even got us poor queing spectators cooled down with regualr cold water). The judging itself was certainly not biased; as has already been pointed out the judging panel could hardly have been more qualified. The selection processes within the countries themselves may well have been stacked on the side of looks and they may have been reluctant to offend anyone by saying this. I have no idea. I can say that obescity is far more villified here then any other country I have visited. For example, there is a weekly program here devoted entirely to having fat women brought on in their underwear and being abused by skinny celebrities who them do some pretty hiddeous things to them to try and make them lose dangerous amounts of weight in a short period of time. I am not directing that at the RoV cosplayers, rather at the person who commented that fat people are treated much the same here as in other countries. They aren't. And no, manfaye would not have been welcome because an aim of the event is to represent cosplay as a legitimate cultural expression, hence the presance of the Minister for Culture and the Arts on the judging panel. There were some crossplayers there, but all were tasteful. Brazil had the best skit and the best costumes and fully deserved to win. TV Aichi, who expend an enourmous amount of resources on the competition which, btw, is primarily live (I couldn't find any mention of it in the TV guide), should be appreciated for their contribution to promoting cosplay and for providing a wonderful opportunity for cosplayers from around the world to meet. The main complaint seems to be that the competition wasn't fair... but it isn't called the "World Cosplay Championships". It is a "Summit".

Last edited by Djinn_Wired on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
pearlslam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
You missed my point entirely, disqualify one, disqualify all.

I'll admit that I haven't seen all the pics of the infamous RoV team, but allowing the rules to be relaxed for only one country is not something that competitions should be proud of, regardless of what you call it.

Remember, two teams from two different countries got disqualified in two seperate years for the same cosplay.

You MUST be saying that it is fair for Japan to be allowed to cosplay from an "illegal" series. The whole thing is a cardboard argument at best.

This whole controversey should teach Aichi TV a lesson. If they learn it or not is up to them.
BountySniper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Djinn_Wired wrote:
People keep talking about the RoV team 'not being aloud to compete', the other team being 'robbed' of their taxi ride... I think perhaps you're forgetting that Aichi TV PAID for all international and domestic travel once inside Japan; accomodation; hosted parties and sightseeing for the participant etc etc. There are a lot of people involved... so a taxi didn't show up on time? Cut them some slack, they had alot of organising to do! I watched this year's contest and all I saw were friendly Japanese staff who were all into cosplay doing everything they could to keep all the contestants happy... running backwards and forwards to Macdonalds, finding ice to keep them cool in their costumes and so on (they even got us poor queing spectators cooled down with regualr cold water). The judging itself was certainly not biased; as has already been pointed out the judging panel could hardly have been more qualified. The selection processes within the countries themselves may well have been stacked on the side of looks and they may have been reluctant to offend anyone by saying this. I have no idea. I can say that obescity is far more villified here then any other country I have visited. For example, there is a weekly program here devoted entirely to having fat women brought on in their underwear and being abused by skinny celebrities who them do some pretty hiddeous things to them to try and make them lose dangerous amounts of weight in a short period of time. I am not directing that at the RoV cosplayers, rather at the person who commented that fat people are treated much the same here as in other countries. They aren't. And no, manfaye would not have been welcome because an aim of the event is to represent cosplay as a legitimate cultural expression, hence the presance of the Minister for Culture and the Arts on the judging panel. There were some crossplayers there, but all were tasteful. Brazil had the best skit and the best costumes and fully deserved to win. TV Aichi, who expend an enourmous amount of resources on the competition which, btw, is primarily live (I couldn't find any mention of it in the TV guide), should be appreciated for their contribution to promoting cosplay and for providing a wonderful opportunity for cosplayers from around the world to meet. The main complaint seems to be that the competition wasn't fair... but it isn't called the "World Cosplay Championships". It is a "Summit".

If I recall correctly, they waited hours for WCS staff to show up for the ride back. It wasn't a taxi they were waiting for. They had to GET a taxi because the staff did NOT showed up. Please read the entire story before jumping to conclusions.

And true, WCS is not called WCC however they advertised the event (at least to the U.S.) as a "contest" which by definition means that there are rules to enter and to win. I think a name like "World Cosplay Show" would've been the most accurate instead. People must be kidding themselves if they don't see this as a wannabe contest though, it's set up exactly like a contest. With judges, rounds of elimination etc. Why wouldn't anyone be confused at this? Clearly, there is confusion here and that is why people aren't happy with WCS. WCS should not market itself or present itself as a contest when it clearly isn't. Evil or Very Mad
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The judging itself was certainly not biased; as has already been pointed out the judging panel could hardly have been more qualified.

O RLY?

Quote:
So they have 4 judges on stage deciding who's going to win.
- Kitadani Hiroshi - anime song singer from One Piece and Kamen Rider as well as Radio DJ
- Ushijima Essai - Head organizer for cosplay at Comiket in Tokyo (Comic Market)
- Tokita Yuji - representative from the Japanese Ministry of Foreign affairs.
- Go Nagai - Creator behind such venerable anime classics as Devil Man, Majinga-Z and Cutie Honey. All Around Anime Grand Daddy.

Ushijima Essai is the only person that seems remotely qualified to judge cospaly. Aside from him/her ( assume its the former), the "judges" are just celebreties that probably have little to no experience with cosplay and certainly are not 'experts'. They are just there to get attention and boost the ratings.

Quote:
People keep talking about the RoV team 'not being aloud to compete', the other team being 'robbed' of their taxi ride... I think perhaps you're forgetting that Aichi TV PAID for all international and domestic travel once inside Japan; accomodation; hosted parties and sightseeing for the participant etc etc. There are a lot of people involved... so a taxi didn't show up on time? Cut them some slack, they had alot of organising to do!

Two foreign teams are disqualified for cosplaying as RoV but a Japanese team gets 2nd place by cosplaying as RoV characters. I don't see how the blatant bias could be more obvious. Of course we are talking about that.

As for the taxi ride, its been discussed before and you didn't seem to want to actually read what happened. They waited 3-4 hours and the taxi never showed up. Was this the sponsor's fault? It's impossible to know but considering how everything else went, it doesn't look good for TV Aichi.
Djinn_Wired

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm not in any way saying that what happened to the US girls was anything less then misserable. However, I think people are bagging out a great event and missing the point that the only complaint there seems to be is that two teams were turned down by the organisers, who according to official sources retained the right to make a final decision, and that the reason they gave for turning down those teams apparently was not the genuine reason. Yes, that sucks. Yes, it is a major cultural difference that Americans in particular favour upfrontness even when feelings may be hurt and the Japanese tend to avoid being rude if they possibly can. Esspecially for the teams who feel like they were didched for no reason, it isn't great. But. The event is a fantastic all expences paid international cosplay party. Everyone I have met personally who participated in the finals came away with nothing but positive feelings towards the organisers. So be angry about the specifics, but it seems stupid to discount a great event on far fetched assumptions like "Japan is paying back America for Hiroshima" and other assumptions based on very little evdence.

HitokiriShadow wrote:

Ushijima Essai is the only person that seems remotely qualified to judge cospaly. Aside from him/her ( assume its the former), the "judges" are just celebreties that probably have little to no experience with cosplay and certainly are not 'experts'. They are just there to get attention and boost the ratings.

Umm, boosting ratings seems far fetched to me since the show proberbly wasn't actually televised. I'm saying proberbly because ir seems odd that it wouldn't have been; but I checked both the printed TV guides for a week and the TV Aichi website and the event website and nowhere was there a listing for the event being televised. It wasn't broadcast live because I phone a friend while I was there and asked her to tape it and it wasn't on. It seems wierd that it wouldn't have been on TV, but they certainly weren't making it easy to find or promoting it hard in any way to get ratings. So although a lot of people are very angry, please remember that all anyone is really doing is jumping to conclusions. As for the selection of judges, with the exception of the MP (and I don't know if he participated in the judging, he didn't deliver any comments and mostly sat around until the prize awarding) the other three are people whose professional lives have been dedicated to anime.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Djinn_Wired wrote:
I'm not in any way saying that what happened to the US girls was anything less then misserable. However, I think people are bagging out a great event and missing the point that the only complaint there seems to be is that two teams were turned down by the organisers, who according to official sources retained the right to make a final decision, and that the reason they gave for turning down those teams apparently was not the genuine reason.

Good so-far.

Quote:
Yes, that sucks. Yes, it is a major cultural difference that Americans in particular favour upfrontness even when feelings may be hurt and the Japanese tend to avoid being rude if they possibly can. Esspecially for the teams who feel like they were didched for no reason, it isn't great.

Starting to lose me here. They try to avoid being rude... and then blatantly play favorites with who can and cannot cosplay as what? Not gonna work...

Quote:
But. The event is a fantastic all expences paid international cosplay party. Everyone I have met personally who participated in the finals came away with nothing but positive feelings towards the organisers. So be angry about the specifics, but it seems stupid to discount a great event on far fetched assumptions like "Japan is paying back America for Hiroshima" and other assumptions based on very little evdence.

Tell that to the 2005 US Team that was ditched in Japan without a clue where to go...

Quote:
Umm, boosting ratings seems far fetched to me since the show proberbly wasn't actually televised. I'm saying proberbly because ir seems odd that it wouldn't have been; but I checked both the printed TV guides for a week and the TV Aichi website and the event website and nowhere was there a listing for the event being televised. It wasn't broadcast live because I phone a friend while I was there and asked her to tape it and it wasn't on. It seems wierd that it wouldn't have been on TV, but they certainly weren't making it easy to find or promoting it hard in any way to get ratings. So although a lot of people are very angry, please remember that all anyone is really doing is jumping to conclusions. As for the selection of judges, with the exception of the MP (and I don't know if he participated in the judging, he didn't deliver any comments and mostly sat around until the prize awarding) the other three are people whose professional lives have been dedicated to anime.

Do we know for sure that it isn't going to be televised at a later date? Furthermore, because someone's draws anime, or directs it for a living, they can judge the quality of a costume? Bullshido.
hikarintakeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I send my congrats to the winning teams.

After looking at the photos of the Japanese team cosplaying as RoV characters, I was a bit surprised.

When I compared the costumes and appearance of the American team that cosplayed as RoV characters to the Japanese team, I noticed a big difference in costume quality. I've seen the RoV skit for the American team too and it was a very pleasant performance.
pearlslam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
Do we know for sure that it isn't going to be televised at a later date? Furthermore, because someone's draws anime, or directs it for a living, they can judge the quality of a costume? Bullshido.
Think the whole thing like the World Series of Poker, Djinn_Wired. They film it in May, but they air it in July-August. The WCS is probably run the same way. Even if it isn't aired now, check a few weeks from now.
Djinn_Wired

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
hikarintakeru wrote:

After looking at the photos of the Japanese team cosplaying as RoV characters, I was a bit surprised.

Yeah, I personally prefered the Chinese Advent Children team. But the Chinese skit was more or less non-existant. The RoV team didn't win so much for the costume designs but because they changed costumes five times each during the skit. I haven't seen the anime but I got the impression the costume changes reflected the character developement, and it was done very cleaverly. The Advent Children guys just looked so right, it's a shame they didn't do more with the skit.

pearlslam wrote:
The WCS is probably run the same way. Even if it isn't aired now, check a few weeks from now.

I really hope so... it was such a good show I was looking forward to taping it Smile

Anyway, I've said everything I wanted to say and I have no intention of pissing anyone off. It's just that no-one had mentioned how generous TV Aichi is in hosting the show, or what a great opportunity it is for promoting cosplay and for letting people from all over the world with similar interests meet up and have fun at no expence to themselves. There are valid grievances about the selection process, but that should detract from the very good aspects of the event. Where else in the world would a member of cabinet come out to award the prize at a cosplay event? I had a lot of fun as a spectator and all of the contestants I personally spoke to had nothing but praise.
BountySniper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Djinn_Wired wrote:

Anyway, I've said everything I wanted to say and I have no intention of pissing anyone off. It's just that no-one had mentioned how generous TV Aichi is in hosting the show, or what a great opportunity it is for promoting cosplay and for letting people from all over the world with similar interests meet up and have fun at no expence to themselves. There are valid grievances about the selection process, but that should detract from the very good aspects of the event. Where else in the world would a member of cabinet come out to award the prize at a cosplay event? I had a lot of fun as a spectator and all of the contestants I personally spoke to had nothing but praise.

I would like to agree with you with tv aichi ....but as any television network, they get money (and lots of it) from airing advertisements and commercials. I currently work in the entertainment industry and I know that any large network or tv station airs shows because they will make them money! I highly doubt TV Aichi's main goal was to promote cosplay unfortunently.
pearlslam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:37 am Reply with quote
BountySniper wrote:
I would like to agree with you with tv aichi ....but as any television network, they get money (and lots of it) from airing advertisements and commercials. I currently work in the entertainment industry and I know that any large network or tv station airs shows because they will make them money! I highly doubt TV Aichi's main goal was to promote cosplay unfortunently.
Quoted for truth. You also have to look at it this way, There is two different worlds of cosplay.

One is beauty over costume. You generally see this here in America at G4's coverage of E3 or TGS. To tell you the truth, yes how good you look in the costume should have some influence in WCS, but, by the judges that were chosen, that is ALL TV Aichi cares about. If you look good, but have a garbage costume, you're a winner says TV Aichi.

The other is how well you built your costume over how good you look in it. I could go out tomorrow and buy a Lupin cosplay and it would be considered very well built. Now imagine all of the thousands that other people spent on building a Vash the Stampede cosplay with little or no return on their investments.

It is clear that WCS is not a legit cosplay competition. If it was, they would have picked cosplay judges that have experience in cosplay competition. Besides this scandal is a wake up call throughout cosplay that some things are too good to be true, and competing in Japan on a "world stage" is just one of those things. It is not too hard to connect the dots here people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5