• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Oscar Schmoscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Japan follows where the money is; Funimation follows where the money is. It's just that in Japan, there's no shame in selling out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Also media blaster have a nasty habit of giving out very sudden surprises. that was apparant when they started releasing some of their series sub only.

I remember people thinking that hentai licensing would keep them afloat, that sure went bust. I think cheaper re-releases by Rightstuf have been the only things in about a year.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
MB is trying to get more Hentai, but every time they agree to a price, the folks in Japan keep changing it
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
This YouTube vid sums up the Sub vs. Dub debate quite well;
"Who's Afraid of Sailor Moon?"
(It's under 5 minutes and it's funny!)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I loved the Madoka anime, haven't seen the movies yet.

But by any meaningful definition, a sequel can not stand on its own. So how can the second sequel in a trilogy stand on its own? Would someone who had not seen the first two movies or the original TV series understand it?

The movie Aliens was a sequel that could stand on its own. Haven't seen the third movie of PMMM, so I have no clue as to whether Rebellion stands on its own or not. It all comes down to the intentions of the writer and the director, and if they carried it out successfully. So I bow to anyone who actually has seen Rebellion.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

The movie Aliens was a sequel that could stand on its own. Haven't seen the third movie of PMMM, so I have no clue as to whether Rebellion stands on its own or not. It all comes down to the intentions of the writer and the director, and if they carried it out successfully. So I bow to anyone who actually has seen Rebellion.

Aliens is not really a sequel to Alien. The looks, the atmosphere, the story is completely different. Even the "biological" cycle of the Alien is different. And it takes place 60+ years after the events in the first film.
Call it what it is : a space action film with the "Alien" logo tagged alongside. But a genuine sequel to Scott's original vision it is not.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
MB is trying to get more Hentai, but every time they agree to a price, the folks in Japan keep changing it

Have any reference for that? I'd like to learn more, and possibly what titles (hopefully not just more Vanilla/Pashmina garbage).

TarsTarkas wrote:

You're choosing one the best cases for that in Aliens, but this is anime, where minutia matters and those who haven't see the series or other recaps will likely be entire left out.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
getchman wrote:

Have any reference for that? I'd like to learn more, and possibly what titles (hopefully not just more Vanilla/Pashmina garbage).

yeah, Sirabella is regularly posting updates on the Media Blaster facebook page. that particular update was on Oct 30th
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5