• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach English Dub Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:32 am Reply with quote
NezuChiza wrote:
The person who wrote the article needs to be a bit more careful with what they say. The sentence "Viz's smash hit supernatural action series has become an international phenomenon since its debut in the pages of Shonen Jump back in 2002." implies that Viz created the series, rather than just licensing it once they caught on to how popular it was becoming. Viz had nothing to do with creating the series, they merely picked it up. To imply otherwise is just wrong, and belittles those who actually MADE the anime. Next time give credit where credit is due rather than passing the buck onto someone who merely bought something others made.

You can't be serious right. It's simply implying that Viz own the right to the series that was a smash hit back in 2002.

Beside, Bleach was created by Tite Kubo and the anime was an adaption by Studio Pierrot (unless you really thought Bleach was "originally" created by the Japanese). So I'm not sure what you mean give credit where credit is due, since you didn't bother mentioning Shueisha/Tite Kubo as the original creator but saying "who made the anime" And judging by the filler that everyone seem to hate, studio pierrot is terrible at writing bleach, give 'em credit for that much.

If you want to get real technical, Bleach is a Shueisha title. And Shueisha is the "parent" company of Viz to help them distrubte Shueisha title in the US. Viz has access to most of the Shonen Jump titl. I wouldn't be surprise if Viz didn't buy the rights to the Bleach manga, but given by Shueisha, because they both make money off sales.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote
Hagakure|Returns wrote:
NezuChiza wrote:
The person who wrote the article needs to be a bit more careful with what they say. The sentence "Viz's smash hit supernatural action series has become an international phenomenon since its debut in the pages of Shonen Jump back in 2002." implies that Viz created the series, rather than just licensing it once they caught on to how popular it was becoming. Viz had nothing to do with creating the series, they merely picked it up. To imply otherwise is just wrong, and belittles those who actually MADE the anime. Next time give credit where credit is due rather than passing the buck onto someone who merely bought something others made.
You can't be serious right. It's simply implying that Viz own the right to the series that was a smash hit back in 2002.
So, can we also say, "ADV's hit series Neon Genesis: Evangelion has generated controversy ever since it hit the airwaves in 1996? I wouldn't think so. It is a hit series now, but the context of its creation, ADV wasn't involved. I'm not trying to make a big deal about this, but considering how people on this site are oh-so-quick to criticize fansub groups for putting "AnimeGroupies Presents Strawberry Panic" in files, I think it's something that needs to be said.
Hagakure|Returns wrote:
But it's very hypocritical to call out American VA mispronouncing Japanese term when the majority of Japanese VA misprounce simple English term. Such as watching Hoop Day when the word "nice shot" becomes Nice Shoto. Saber becomes Say-BAA. Well it's just their natural way of speaking so they have tend to Japanize American term and I'm not gonna fully blame them for the terrible engrish they put in japanese dub.
This issue often comes up in sub/dub discussions, and I respond the same way every time. I don't think it's too hypocritical. Why? Because as I'm sure we all know, Japanese and English are different. I don't want to over-simplify, but getting Japanese pronunciations right is largely a matter of using sounds that we English speakers already have in our phonetic arsenal, and adjusting the line-readings accordingly. So, if you come across a name like "Hitoshi," you tell the actor, "Hey, say that O like in 'toe,' and say those I's like in 'heat,' not like the I in 'hit'."
But, if you ask a Japanese VA to read off accurate English, you're asking him to produce sounds that don't exist in Japanese, and to string consonants together, to end words with consonants aside from n, and to create emphasis and rhythm with stressed syllables, when none of that stuff occurs in Japanese.
That's why I have different expectations of VAs, not because of blind purist fanboy admiration for the Japanese, but because of tangible differences in the languages and those who speak them. Do I expect perfection from the English VAs? No, but imnsho, errors in short, simple words/names stem from inadequate direction, laziness, or ignorance. I don't expect them to flawlessly nail 5+ syllable names or do the precise toungue-flap for "r" or to execute the teeth-on-lower-lip fu/hu sound as well as a Japanese native speaker.
Take the dub of X TV, for instance. It's a bit older and not the greatest dub ever, but they get most of the names right--Kotori could easily have been "KuhTOHri," but most of the actors get the O sounds right, and some even do the flapped R. It would have been easy to pronounce Karen as the typical English version of the name, but they said it correctly. (Bandai did this properly with Karen in Please Twins!, though ADV has a track record of changing Karin > [eng]Karen, Kaede > Katie) Some names like Yuzuriha in X are a bit off the mark, but I can forgive them for that.
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:15 am Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
But it's very hypocritical to call out American VA mispronouncing Japanese term when the majority of Japanese VA misprounce simple English term.

Sometimes it's not a case of the Japanese person mispronouncing English. Have you tried interjecting (proper)English words into a Japanese sentence? It's the equivalent of slamming on the breaks--the flow gets messed up and it just sounds akward.

You could say the reverse as well. That's why I always say "carry-okie" and "kara-tee" when speaking English. But you can be sure I pronounce them properly when speaking Japanese.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:21 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Nothing to worry about? Pfft! Take a gander at the comments for the YouTube video of the Adult Swim commercial. From that 30 second clip, people are already claiming it's just as bad as the Naruto dub...

There's nothing wrong with the Naruto dub. Those people on YouTube are all elitists who complain about anything not in Japanese. They judge a dub by watching a 30-second promo instead of a full episode. They watch a dub that has minimal edits and correct name pronunciation and say it's worse than 4Kids' One Piece dub. They believe Japanese should be the be-all-end-all of anime, simply because it's created in Japan. They think they know how to speak the language, but really, they only know a few words, such as kawaii and baka, that they heard in the latest inaccurately-subtitled Bleach fansub. They try to act Japanese (or Wapanese) by using random Japanese phrases in everyday speech, which makes them look like extremely stupid. Finally, they know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about voice acting. I bet if any one of these idiots who claims they could do better was ever given the oppurtunity to audition for a role in a dub, he'd blow it. These people don't even realize that anime is entertainment; they think it's a religion or something. They want everything their way. I doubt they have any interest other than anime. Mention one thing about dub actors and they'll go off on you about how "dubs suck" and "why does 4Kids have to dub everything" and whatever other BS they can come up with just to satisfy their little attention-wanting minds.
ssjlonewolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
For saying just to be saying the naruto dub is fine, even tho believe it is annoying, its fun to say at anime conventions just to get the look...I just thought that naruto's voice could of been deeper.

If Bosh didn't do so many high profile roles, you wouldnt really be able to tell its him so its kinda hard to shake off hearing his voice. However, I think Ichigo's, and Rukia's voice could be a little more rough, but its still good good for a 30 second promo.
CaliSerenity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
Um people, was it just me who thought that Ichigo's Japanese VA sounded too deep for the character anyways?

Ya know, the age factor or being a long-time, hardcore anime fan is not an excuse for all this bias against the dub. My 15-year-old baby sis has been watching anime subs with me since before she could read (heh) and she's able to form opinions of dubs & subs without dismissing one form or the other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cl4y

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
What are they using for words like zanpakuto, riatsu, gigai, etc.?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
I wonder how the Sado/Chad stuff is going to work (not like I understood why that occurred in the first place)
In episode ~39, we see flashbacks to when Ichigo and Sado first meet. Ichigo sees Sado's name in kanji (I'll type them when I get home). He assumes it's "Chado" because the first kanji, meaning "tea," is commonly read as "cha," as in "chairo" (tea-colored=brown). However, it's supposed to be read as "sa" in the name; Ichigo just thinks that "Chado" is cooler because of association with other Chad's.

So that's it! My memories of Bleach are so poor that I completely forgot. I kept thinking it had to do with hiragana or something, which would make absolutely no sense.

therealssjlink wrote:
I am really wondering what they are going to do with Urahara and Yoruichi. Urahara speaks like a girl while Yoruichi speaks like an old man (obviously on purpose..). I do not if they will be able to make that come out sounding good though in the english one...anyone got any thoughts on this?

Kitty will probably get two actors. Urahara (he's the 4th squad guy, right?) is voiced by a woman because he's pretty meek and feminine. I actually could see (everyone's favorite) Yuri Lowenthal taking a shot at this, but we have a long ways to go before we have to worry about either situation.

Quote:
THE US VERSION IS MADE OF FAIL AND GET

Aside from the fact that YouTube isn't 4chan, isn't that a contradiction in memes?
miji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
That was a nice article Smile. It's nice to see that Viz and Studiopolis are working hard to put together a quality dub. Though, I guess there shouldn't have been any worries, seeing as how well the Naruto dub turned out. Believe it!, that is a good dub.

But brining in someone from the Japanese production staff is a nice touch. It was hard to tell from the commercial if JYB and Ruff were right for the parts, as it just seemed like stuff thrown together. I can't wait to see how things turn out, and from this article it seems like things turned out just fine Smile.

Can't wait for tomorrow night, or Sunday since I will Tivo it, since I'm an old fogey and can't stay up that late, and if I am up that late, I'm out with friends :p.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Kitty will probably get two actors. Urahara (he's the 4th squad guy, right?) is voiced by a woman because he's pretty meek and feminine. I actually could see (everyone's favorite) Yuri Lowenthal taking a shot at this, but we have a long ways to go before we have to worry about either situation.

No, no. Urahara is the shop owner/spoiler[ex 12th squad captain]. therealssjlink was probably refering to Urahara's quirky way of talking. Urahara should be fairly easy to do. A "goof ball that's serious when he needs to be" act should fit perfectly. I know some elitist would scream bloody murder, but if you step back from everything, that's exactly what Urahara is.
ravager

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Avacado Burger wrote:
Please. Where were you people during the 80's and 90's?
Trust me, if watching dubs during those years didn't turn you to subtitles, I don't know what will.

If anything, dubs are evolving further: As a generation grows up with anime, there's going to be more people savvy to the culture and voicing technology, and thus perform a better job at it. Names get pronounced correctly, VAs act more in character, the experience enriches as a whole.
Yes, there are quite a bit of stinkers out there (the One Piece dub should be burned at the stake for it's heretical affront to culture), but believe it or not, they are getting better.

Very true. We should just be grateful that over the years, dubs have improved. Very Happy
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
The folks who are already whining and moaning about the Bleach dub have probably never done any acting, have scant understanding of language, and forget that this is just entertainment, after all.

I've been acting in community theater for years and can tell you that no 2 actors or directors will ever interpret a character exactly the same way. Sure, the portrayals will be generally similar (villains in the script will stay villainous) but there will be a lot of subtle differences in tone, cadence and which character side attributes get emphasis.

As JYB said in the interview, he's an actor, "not an imitator." That means he's got his own professional experience in being other people that will influence his Ichigo portrayal. And then there's what the director will tell him about what to emphasize and what to play down, growing out of that director's own work experience in bringing scripts to life. The real test is whether the end product is a believeable portrayal on its own merits.

And then there's the English script. There's a lot of everyday Japanese idiom, words and phrases that have NO ENGLISH EQUIVALENT! We just plain don't have a word for it. The translator has to find words in English that approximate the Japanese concept. When you get into that kind of languaging, different translators will find different ways of "expressing the unexpressable." Shinigami = Soul Reaper v. Shinigami = Death God is an example of that. English doesn't have a word for it. So which transliteration better fits what a Shinigami is within Bleach? That's the one to go with.

From all indications, the U.S. producers took great pains to develop an excellent English script that stayed as closely as possible to the Japanese, consistent with the inherent differences between the languages. They also coached the English VAs on critical pronounciations, and the director and voice actors worked hard to portray the Bleach characters in English in a believable manner that's generally consistent with, but not identical to, how the Japanese VA's portrayed them.

Finally, at bottom, anime is commercial entertainment and not a religion. People rip into the One Piece dub all the time, and deservedly so for the attitudes that underlie it. But if the dub is the only One Piece you've ever seen, it works just fine as a stand-alone product. It only sucks when compared to the original.

Hell, the same sort of people ripping into Bleach now probably ripped into the Cowboy Bebop dub in past, even though that dub is widely acknowledged to be a superior effort that's faithful to the original Japanese product. But to the anime zealots, the Japanese version is holy gospel, not a TV show, and you just don't tamper with Holy Writ.

And that's my rant for today. (^_*)
standalonecomplex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
cl4y wrote:
What are they using for words like zanpakuto, riatsu, gigai, etc.?

From what I've heard, they are not using substitutions for those words... especially "zanpakuto" and "gigai." Then again, I'm only up to Ep.4 on the dub.
KirbyStamped

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'd just like to take this moment to point out the irony of the people who're complaining about the dubs and the perversion of the Japanese language right now are also probably enjoying the recent release of the full version of the 4th Bleach opening, which is by the band Beat Crusaders. Just thought I would point that out (Beck fans'll probably get it =P)...

Anyhoo, dub is sounding pretty good right now, but it does sound kind of odd after watching the series through the Soul Society arc 3 times. Still, the 30 second preview did sound promising, and I can't wait for tommorrow for it to premiere (also, ironically, September 9th is my mom's birthday, and it's also the anniversary for the U.S. releases of the Playstation and the Dreamcast).
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

No, no. Urahara is the shop owner/spoiler[ex 12th squad captain]. therealssjlink was probably refering to Urahara's quirky way of talking. Urahara should be fairly easy to do. A "goof ball that's serious when he needs to be" act should fit perfectly. I know some elitist would scream bloody murder, but if you step back from everything, that's exactly what Urahara is.

Yeah, that's what I first thought, but then the rest of the post confused me. I don't remember Urahara ever talking effeminately.

Urahara sounds like it's right up Crispin Freeman's alley.

/I still like Yuri Lowenthal as the 4th squad kid, even though he already has a role.
//And Steve Blum/David Lucas as Chad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9