• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Reports Weak Wii U Sales, Cuts Projections by 2/3rds

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:

It's because of a lack of games that both my fiancee and I are interested in is why we haven't bothered to try and get a Wii U. There's nothing I want to play, and he only wants to play ZombieU. That's honestly not enough to spend $300 on a system. Plus, I have no idea if they make the Wii U compatible with Wii games out of the box or not now, as we don't have the ability to link our systems up to the internet to update it.

Wii games are fully compatible out of the box, but your saves require a small app to transfer and that WOULD require a net connection.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
Yeah, this is not surprise to me that the Wii U is failing due to the piss poor marking the thing has. From what I've gathered, most people still think it is an add-on for the Wii. This came full circle when my sister (who isn't huge in gaming so she doesn't look at gaming sites) thought the Wii U was an add-on. However, as of yet I haven't seen ANYTHING the PS4 or Xbox One have to offer that will make me go and buy the system, this includes future games too since I've given up hope on the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series for example.

Plus, I don't think Nintendo can go the route and release a system on par with Microsoft or Sony. They have done that with both the Gamecube and N64 and that didn't help them at all. 3rd Parties will never fully support Nintendo again because they don't believe their games can compare to Nintendo games (let us be honest, some of the best games ever made are done by Nintendo and Nintendo's games can normally stay on the sales charts far longer than most other big budget games). Plus the third parties have been pissing on the Wii U and giving us poor versions of their games (when compared to the 360 & PS3) at full retail price and surprise, it doesn't sell well enough.

However, I can also see that this generation could be the last of console gaming but I also predict that a crash will happen soon starting with the fall of Capcom. Imagine this if you will. What would have happened to Rockstar if GTAV did NOT sell as well as Rockstar had hoped?

SEGA under their new division"Sega Entertainment Corp, Ltd Worldwide" will officially come out of retirement this year and is preparing to bring "Reform" policies to the 3rd party market. Bringing back the days of licensing software on select console platforms, TRUE Arcade to home console ports, SKU hardware bundles with 1st party flagship titles and has invented a way to chop down the development and production cost of games.

Before a crash occurs, they will prevent it.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
To me, I think one of the biggest problems with the Wii U is its library. Other than a few games, there's nothing really that great out for the system.

They need more games that people want, like the new Smash Bros or a new Animal Crossing. The series that really sell for Nintendo; I think those would help push sales in a more positive direction.

It's because of a lack of games that both my fiancee and I are interested in is why we haven't bothered to try and get a Wii U. There's nothing I want to play, and he only wants to play ZombieU. That's honestly not enough to spend $300 on a system. Plus, I have no idea if they make the Wii U compatible with Wii games out of the box or not now, as we don't have the ability to link our systems up to the internet to update it.

Its the overall execution. Wii U is an overall poorly made, poorly implemented product. It was an overall bad idea, a cheap half baked gimmick.

Let it die like it deserves and be optimistic that Nintendo will come up with something better.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Better indie support is one of the PS4's selling points, so Sony's not entirely unprepared for that eventuality.

When you say indie support do you mean games like Dragon's Crown and Danganronpa which had ridiculously small budgets or those numerous 10 dollar "retro platformers" all over Steam? If the first then yes, those are nice. If it is the later than I dont have any interest in those games so the PS4 simply being an Ouya isn't going to sell me on it. If gaming does crash and get to the point where Castle Crashers or Super Meat Boy is all that gets made then that's probably when I stop playing games.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Well I see nothing wrong with Sony also making things for people who aren't Japanese. Why that's a problem I have no idea.

The Japanese and American markets are simply too different. Have you ever heard of the saying "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time"? I'm worried they will stretch themselves too thin and implode on themselves. The PS4's social app features are something Japan doesn't care about yet those took development time and money to make which could have been spent better elsewhere. I am just worried, is all.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Better indie support is one of the PS4's selling points, so Sony's not entirely unprepared for that eventuality.

When you say indie support do you mean games like Dragon's Crown and Danganronpa which had ridiculously small budgets or those numerous 10 dollar "retro platformers" all over Steam? If the first then yes, those are nice. If it is the later than I don't have any interest in those games so the PS4 simply being an Ouya isn't going to sell me on it. If gaming does crash and get to the point where Castle Crashers or Super Meat Boy is all that gets made then that's probably when I stop playing games.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Well I see nothing wrong with Sony also making things for people who aren't Japanese. Why that's a problem I have no idea.

The Japanese and American markets are simply too different. Have you ever heard of the saying "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time"? I'm worried they will stretch themselves too thin and implode on themselves. The PS4's social app features are something Japan doesn't care about yet those took development time and money to make which could have been spent better elsewhere. I am just worried, is all.

PS4 has NOTHING Japanese centric at all. We know what Japan likes: Dating Sims,RPGs,Card Games, Arcade ports,RTS. PS4 lacks in all of those.

Sony's approach to SNS is half assed at best in their eyes. Japan sees Social Networking as a necessity, Sony is trying to make it, PS4's selling point. I feel its a bad marketing on Sony's part. People in Japan would rather play SNS games on something compact, not a full fledged Streaming console.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:

Says who? The social media has taken off pretty well in Japan, not sure why PS4's social aspects wouldn't do well. All the streaming things will also go over well with Japanese console gamers. They stream quite a lot of crap. Yeah, I don't really see the problem.

For all this talk about how Japanese gamers don't care for online things like FFXIV, Namco's F2P endeavors, and whatnot have gone over well. Seeing as how PS4 will make it easier for F2P games to come to the system I'm not sure how it's online systems won't work in Japan.

Well whatever, I don't really see a problem. I'm sure Japanese games will come, but if they don't well I don't really care. There's other plenty of good non-Japanese games as it it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
This isn't because of any sort of gimmick, hardware limitations, things from the competitors, anything. Its that fact that the WiiU needs some [expletive] GAMES TO COME OUT. Right now there is Mario, and a Zelda port. That's it. People don't get both a PS4 and an Xbone just because they think they have some awesome new features, they just want the exclusive games. It isn't that hard to figure out. For fudge's sake, make a new IP for once. What happened to when the SNES was out and there were new original RPG's and innovative new properties like clockwork? Even the GCN had some incredible gems.

I seriously hope that they aren't going to go mobile-phone based. Have you seen what Square is up to now days? It's a disgrace. You get no loyalty and shit games; just a bunch of people with a shiny new toy that get random apps and waste time with them until 2 years later they realize that it's a waste and they delete them all.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
This isn't because of any sort of gimmick, hardware limitations, things from the competitors, anything. Its that fact that the WiiU needs some [expletive] GAMES TO COME OUT. Right now there is Mario, and a Zelda port. That's it. People don't get both a PS4 and an Xbone just because they think they have some awesome new features, they just want the exclusive games. It isn't that hard to figure out. For fudge's sake, make a new IP for once. What happened to when the SNES was out and there were new original RPG's and innovative new properties like clockwork? Even the GCN had some incredible gems.

I seriously hope that they aren't going to go mobile-phone based. Have you seen what Square is up to now days? It's a disgrace. You get no loyalty and shit games; just a bunch of people with a shiny new toy that get random apps and waste time with them until 2 years later they realize that it's a waste and they delete them all.

The mobile gaming quote seems to be misinterpreted everywhere. If anything they're just studying them to see what's so hot. You probably won't be seeing actual games on phones, but supplementary apps.

As for the new IPs argument: they do it CONSTANTLY. But of course people seem to gloss over stuff like Xenoblade, Dillon's Rolling Western, Pushmo, Sakura Samurai, and The Wonderful 101.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
For fudge's sake, make a new IP for once.

The new IP was one of the worst selling Wii U games, Wonderful 101. I don't think the Nintendo fanbase is one who likes new and innovative franchises.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
The asymmetric gameplay idea for local multiplayer games is great in my opinion, but hard to sell (and Nintendo Land is one of the most underrated games ever, sadly).

I think things will get better starting from Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze or Mario Kart 8 release, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Says who? The social media has taken off pretty well in Japan, not sure why PS4's social aspects wouldn't do well. All the streaming things will also go over well with Japanese console gamers. They stream quite a lot of crap. Yeah, I don't really see the problem.

For all this talk about how Japanese gamers don't care for online things like FFXIV, Namco's F2P endeavors, and whatnot have gone over well. Seeing as how PS4 will make it easier for F2P games to come to the system I'm not sure how it's online systems won't work in Japan.

Using Japanese games to prove a point kind of proves my point instead. Japan didn't care about MMOs until FFXI, and then the next big one for them was FFIV. World of Warcraft, a global giant who claimed 12 million subs at its peak and has been ripped off numerous times, didn't make any impact whatsoever in Japan. Nor did any other fabled WoWkiller MMO that came out between then and now. It took a smaller Japanese MMO to do that. And I don't see how this relate to online services since MMOs use a separate online service than Xbox Live/Playstation plus even in America. Monster Hunter 3 for the WiiU is online and uses the kinda online Japanese games tend to use like Phantasy Star Online did with 4 player rooms. Japanese online gaming is pretty different.

As for social aspects, streaming exists in Japan but it's far different than it is here. Nowhere near the kind of e-celeberity worship thing like here. They also pretty much unanimously use Niconico over Twitch or Ustream or whatever PS4 has integrated. Which means they would have to rehaul the entire thing for Japanese preferences which differes from Americans.

You can kinda start seeing the problem with trying to appeal to everyone when you have to change so much between regions to please people Confused
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Using Japanese games to prove a point kind of proves my point instead.
Um how? You're point is that the Japanese don't care for online things. My point is they do, not that they care about western online things.

Quote:
Japan didn't care about MMOs until FFXI, and then the next big one for them was FFIV.
In general, no one really cared that much about MMOs. They were extremely niche and still growing. It would make sense for a big named one to make it in Japan.

Still, thats not really true. Phantasy Star did pretty well in Japan before then. Enough to get it's own Japanese expansions.

Plus, I'm not sure if even Everquest or Ultima were ever translated into Japanese.

Quote:
World of Warcraft, a global giant who claimed 12 million subs at its peak and has been ripped off numerous times, didn't make any impact whatsoever in Japan.
It had more subscribers and was never officially released in Japan. Hell maybe if they did get to play it 14 wouldn't have been such a disaster first go around

Quote:
It took a smaller Japanese MMO to do that. And I don't see how this relate to online services since MMOs use a separate online service than Xbox Live/Playstation plus even in America.
Well FFXIV is anything but small. And how does it relate? You're trying to push that Japanese don't care for playing online when it's obviously not true. Hell, they had to play online on the PS2 for Christ sake for some games. Did'nt stop them.

And why would Japanese gamers be against online services like PSN. It dosen't really get in the way of anything and clearly they use it already.

Quote:
Monster Hunter 3 for the WiiU is online and uses the kinda online Japanese games tend to use like Phantasy Star Online did with 4 player rooms.
And they can't have lobby's for seperate games that run on PSN why? It's clearly not a problem. I play Gundam Vs Online all the time and it's set up like any western online game and clearly Japanese gamers have no problem with it since well they are the ones playing the game online.

Quote:
Japanese online gaming is pretty different.
Dosen't seem that radically different.

Quote:
As for social aspects, streaming exists in Japan but it's far different than it is here. Nowhere near the kind of e-celeberity worship thing like here. They also pretty much unanimously use Niconico over Twitch or Ustream or whatever PS4 has integrated. Which means they would have to rehaul the entire thing for Japanese preferences which differs from Americans.
I guess that explains all the Japanese steams on Twtich and Justin whenever a Final Fantasy comes out. They'll have such a problem using PS4's systems.

And guess what? Sony can just use Nico Nico for Japan. It's not like companies can't set-up different apps and whatnot on a region basis. They do it already. Nico Nico streaming was on Japanese PSPs. UK 360s could use Sky TV. It is not some implausibility to use the streaming service Japanese gamers who stream things use.

Quote:
You can kinda start seeing the problem with trying to appeal to everyone when you have to change so much between regions to please people
Doesn't really seem that hard actually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:
For fudge's sake, make a new IP for once.

The new IP was one of the worst selling Wii U games, Wonderful 101. I don't think the Nintendo fanbase is one who likes new and innovative franchises.

Careful there. Facts are a dangerous things!

Nintendo actually does a pretty good job of supporting new IPs, they just don't sink a fortune into unproven properties.

Anyway, the most disappointing thing is hearing about 3DS sales sagging. It's still the most dominant handheld yet can't reach sales projections. Says a lot about video game system sales in general then anything else.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I'm not sure why I would chose it over any other system out there

No other system has Nintendo games on it. If someone wants to play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash, Pikmin, Star Fox, Metroid, Animal Crossing, etc, you buy a Nintendo console. Plus they get the occasional cool third-party exclusive like the Operation Rainfall trilogy on Wii and now X/Bayonetta 2 on WiiU, but thats just a side bonus. Main draw is Nintendo titles

Which really does highlight the question: Why does it make sense for Nintendo to have their own console? Their bread and butter is their strong, first party software. So sell that software. Don't tie it down by trying to force people to buy a several hundred dollar hardware platform they don't want.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I'm not sure why I would chose it over any other system out there

No other system has Nintendo games on it. If someone wants to play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash, Pikmin, Star Fox, Metroid, Animal Crossing, etc, you buy a Nintendo console. Plus they get the occasional cool third-party exclusive like the Operation Rainfall trilogy on Wii and now X/Bayonetta 2 on WiiU, but thats just a side bonus. Main draw is Nintendo titles

Which really does highlight the question: Why does it make sense for Nintendo to have their own console? Their bread and butter is their strong, first party software. So sell that software. Don't tie it down by trying to force people to buy a several hundred dollar hardware platform they don't want.

Because Nintendo doesn't want to be beholden to other console developers? Nintendo wants licensing fees, they don't want to pay them.

Also I'm sure they would much rather push their own innovations, then, again, rely on others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11