• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Director's Chair Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Prax wrote:
I know I didn't make a website. Anime hyper
I'm not that crazy (and hopefully no one else was crazy enough to do that.. I mean.. all within 2 weeks?!).

I did make some awesome--*not really*--teaser posters because it was an idea that came up earlier in the thread and I had extra time though (because I was also confused about the deadline--I thought it was supposed to be near 11:59pm Sunday, not 11:59am Monday).

Anyone wanna see?

Or maybe it's better to wait until after the whole contest is over for everyone to "show their cards", so to speak. Anime hyper

I'm going to announce the winners later today, so just settle down until then.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I was looking at my poster and I realized i sent it in sideways does it matter? Hopefully not.
Wolfio1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
I was looking at my poster and I realized i sent it in sideways does it matter? Hopefully not.

Well, I would assume they'd notice and just turn it right.

Least I hope so. No need to dismiss an entry because it's side-ways. Accidents happen.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
When are they going to be posted.... You said they were going to be posted yesterday. I got excited and I want to see the winners. And Im hoping Im one of them Smile

Edit: I cant spell Razz

Last edited by Cow-Boy_Be-Bop on Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
When are they going to be posted.... You said they were going to be posted yeterday. I got excitedn and I want to see the winners. And Im hoping Im one of them Smile

I was waiting on a response from the folks who provided the prizes; we have a tie for 3rd place, and I needed to make sure both winners would be able to receive the entire package.

Anyway, I'm working on the page now, so it'll be up momentarily.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
That Men In Bowlcuts poster was hilarious >.>. Great job on that one, made me laugh for a while Laughing . And the winner's damn good at drawing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
What happened to one submition per person?
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
God [expletive] Dammit! I wish I never entered this [expletive] contest! I wasted so much time making an entry that didn't even stand a chance. So much time gone down the drain. So many hours with a pencil in my hand. So many nights up 'til 3AM and then having to wake up at 6AM for school for absolute jack shit. Next time I just won't enter one of these contests.

Quote:
What happened to one submition per person?

They never said that.
Prax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The winner needs to work more on her backgrounds.. >.>
I think they said enter as many as you want, but only one will be chosen to win?

Guess I can put a link to my teasers now! :D

- TEASER A
- TEASER B
- horizontal billboard ad or something

I think everyone's entries are great, and I love how Patricia went the extra mile and actually created a website for the movie! (Gaaras as oompa loompas?!)

The Men in Bowlcuts one by Sara is also pretty funny and creative. XD

I'll bet there's even a lot more great stuff that isn't shown here, so if you don't mind, please post them or something! Effort is never wasted if you don't let it be. These types of contests are always great to improve technical skill and creativity.

If anyone wants to fool around with the assets to my entry and practice their colouring skills or something (and probably make an even better poster than me), you can find the lineart files here:

- Naruto & Sasuke
- Sakura
- everyone else

- Prax, working hard at hardly working!
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Prax, I have to say that you are one of the most skilled artists I've ever seen. I remember all your entries from the Build-A-Ninja Sweepstakes, and I have to say that you've improved, and are still amazing. Tell me, how many Photoshop techniques have you mastered? Your posters and submissions from that other Naruto contest were very well done on the computer. I'm such a noob that I can really only use Photoshop for cel-shading, which I learned yesterday, and as a paint program.

I guess my poster wasn't really comparable because it didn't really look like a movie poster. I didn't think about making a submission 'til last Monday, and then it really just took me a long time to Photoshop. It looked kinda' cheesy in poster format, but my characters were quite awesome, and I loved my concept...*cough* poking fun at Lolicon *cough* I'll post mine up as soon as I find out a way to load it on to the 'net (help with that, anyone?).

Well, I'll be leaving now. Gotz myself an AP Bio test first period tomorrow, which I woulda' studied for earlier, had it not been for this damned contest.
OtacontheOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Excellent job Prax Anime smile. Loved your entry, but I'll be enterin' the next one, so watch out Razz.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
"Haruto" was a stroke of genius. Congrats to all the winners, you all deserved it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Prax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, thanks so much! I'll definitely ramp up my efforts for a next contest if there is one! I'll probably only enter in Naruto-based fanart contests though--the subject matter is easiest for my brain since I've actually watched the show.

I don't know if I actually improved or not, but I did give a bit more effort in this contest than last one (I spent more time on the lineart/doing research for the lineart). I'm actually not that good at Photoshop at all, but it definitely helps to have a Wacom tablet and use the layer functions. I have an awesome total of 0 techniques mastered if you actually compare me to more professional artists. XD All I am is the master of lazy.

And SharinganEyes92, if you want someplace simply to upload an image file to, maybe you can try: www.imageshack.us

Also.. AP Bio test?! Well, at least the contest ended Monday night... that means you had about... 3 days to study for it anyway, right? ^^ A very conservative estimate of about.. 12 hours total to study. 8 hours for a textbook (roughly allows for 120 pages of text at 15pages/hour) and 4 hours to write notes and review them.. --this is how I breakdown my study time anyway (not really for the faint of heart--can really stress you out since it's all done last minute).

For comparison, I was supposed to start early for my entries because I pretty much had an idea from the first announcement of it, but ended up working on both my entries the weekend the entry was due. Friday 9pm - Saturday 10am for Haruto (including time for research, drawing, photoshopping, eating, and watching tv). Some of Saturday evening for the serious Naruto poster's research and lineart. Sunday 3pm - Sunday 11:30pm for photoshopping and eating Thanksgiving dinner :d. I am sure there was sleep somewhere in there. >.> That's me on a drawing binge.. it's really fun, but I felt like I was dying half the time.

- Prax, super-major-procrastinator.
Anime Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Cave for your help. Now that I know what programs I can use I might enter the next contest.....with much practice first! Very Happy
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
i knew this would happen.
Everyone that has photoshop would win
Or any equivelent to it.

The only thing i had to work with was a pencil a peice of computer paper and a 24 box of twistable crayons.

The text I did using PAINT.
I didn't think I was that bad until I saw the winners It still makes me mad because I don't have photoshop, and I know how to use it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7