• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) World Is Still Beautiful (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Oh goody. Another person who isn't content to merely express his/her opinion of a show. Oh no, that's too simple and straightforward, of course. Much more fun to question why others might have a different opinion. Here's my question to you - why do you have to employ such an a-hole discussion tactic?

Blood, we've been through this same song and dance literally a half dozen times. Someone saying "I don't know what you see in this show" is not an attack on you personally. It's just not, okay? I don't know why this is such a ridiculous hot button for you or why you insist on continuing to interpret every such comment in such a way. But at this point it is clear that this is 100% your baggage. So whatever. Get mad if you want.

So let me ask you a second question. What is the discussion value of prefacing your remarks with something like, "I don't know what you all see in this show"? Granted, I'm probably the only one here who goes ballistic when somebody pulls that, but what's the value of it? What is wrong with simply stating your own opinion of a show and leaving it at that?

Nonetheless, you seem heavily invested in pulling this shitbag move, so I'll call you on it every single time. Won't generate any intelligent conversation but apparently that's not your over-riding consideration.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Granted, I'm probably the only one here who goes ballistic when somebody pulls that

So you see this and yet it doesn't occur that you might just be seeing something that isn't there?

Quote:
...but what's the value of it? What is wrong with simply stating your own opinion of a show and leaving it at that?

It's a completely innocuous, offhand comment Blood. It doesn't need some clear "value" to justify it. I don't have to say it but there's no reason I shouldn't say it either. Your inference that I'm somehow insulting you by saying that I don't see what you like about a show is fundamentally illogical.

Quote:
Nonetheless, you seem heavily invested in pulling this shitbag move, so I'll call you on it every single time. Won't generate any intelligent conversation but apparently that's not your over-riding consideration.

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm the one engaging in an actual conversation about the show. You're the one contributing little but a string of insults because of some perceived issue with my phrasing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Of course people want to depose him by any means necessary. He's an aggressive dictator bent on conquering the world

Except that the only people who seem to want to depose him are within his own ranks, and their motivation seems to be that they want the power instead, rather than freedom from his "tyranny," which doesn't seem to be in evidence.

ikillchicken wrote:
Well sure. It's easy to cut down the military once you've already taken over basically everything. You need a much bigger army to conquer than to just keep the peace (I use that term loosely) after you've already conquered.

That's only true if the conquered don't much mind being conquered. The more territory you have to rule, the more people you need to rule it if they're itching to be free of your yoke.

I think you're also making an assumption that he was the one who started all the war (I don't recall that they've stated that he was the only aggressor in the world). From what we've seen of him, he would have had no motive to start down the path of world domination had the world been at peace and harmony to begin with, and conquered kingdoms would not be pleased with his rule now had that been the previous state of things. Since we don't yet really know, I'm imagining him more as a sane Qin Shi Wang or a more benevolent Oda/Tokugawa, looking to unify the region (I'm not taking "world" literally, since they rarely ever mean it so) and cease the constant warfare.

At any rate, I think meiam's point still stands - maybe some kings didn't submit, but for the average person, it wouldn't matter who was on the throne, unless their lives got better or worse for it, and in this case, by all accounts they've gotten better.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't get what people see in this show either, to be honest. It's mostly not serious, which is a pretty big (but not insurmountable) minus for me, and the comedy isn't funny. I really never got the Silly Faces and a Lot of 'EEEEEEHHHHHHHHHH' comedy.

It's also not doing anything that really interests me. The world, the politics, the magic, etc. It's not really investigated to any depth. It's kind of just there to enable Nike to have her new experiences and share them with us via her silly reaction faces. That's the kind of thing I really have no interest in.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm feeling a little ambivalent about this show right now. On the one hand I kind of like Nike as a character. I like that she spoiler[got off on the boat on her own] which shows her independence and hasn't been afraid to face down spoiler[bullies (the king) and thieves]. She's a character with a will of her own and that works for me.

However, the first episodes flashback didn't work for me. I thought it would have been funnier since it seemed to want to set it up that way, but instead I got spoiler[rock-paper-scissors]. I was like that's it? It just really didn't pack any punch comedy wise for me. Then there was the head-scratcher spoiler[breaking of the fourth wall].

Now with the second episode I'm continuing not to feel it. I mean we have the King's flashbacks, so ok I get it he has issues. But then its like just in case the viewers are clueless let's have the King's right hand man explain it all to Nike. It feels unnecessary and the presentation of his issues is just not subtle. I mean what's the rush to tell us what the issue is? Why can't his actions and dialogue lead us to that point? I'm also not sure if I like the whole shota portrayal. I can't help but get weird Mina Tepes vibes.

So, the comedy, the goofiness (she becomes practically immobile if she skips a meal), the drama (I feel like I'm hit over the head with it), and the serious political intrigue is not working well together for me at this point. Heck, I'm not sure if these aspects work that well individually. But I guess I'll give it another episode or two and see if it smooths out for me. Sometimes the sum is better than its parts.

Blood- wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Man, what do you guys see in this show?

Oh goody. Another person who isn't content to merely express his/her opinion of a show. Oh no, that's too simple and straightforward, of course. Much more fun to question why others might have a different opinion.

To be honest I didn't take it as his intention to be insulting or to talk down to anybody. He just doesn't get why others like it. Maybe it was too off-hand, but it didn't feel like an attack on anyone.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The clash between Livius's naive, cynical nature and Nike's more optimistic personality makes the show appealing and interesting to me. The show's primary focus appears to be more on the two characters and how they're opposites (with Nike eventually breaking Livius out of his pessimistic outlook). The characters interest for me, they have an air of realism that lets me see them as humans. They drive me to continue watching and make me want to witness how the characters, especially Livius, will grow.

The World is Still Beautiful works very well for a cynic like me who merrily hopes for someone to destroy my negativism and allow me to appreciate the world's beauty someday (which this show sort of does). It may sound like wish fulfillment on my part but call it whatever you like.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I'm also not sure if I like the whole shota portrayal.

Oh gawd, I love it. That was Utsukushii's selling point for me. There's just not enough of it. There are tons of lolixolder guy, there is quite a few shotaxolder guy but as for shotaxolder girl that could actually be tasteful?

BRING IT. I can count series with that on ONE hand.... Sad
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote
Leaving aside the shota thing for a moment (the ed still grosses me out. I'll just skip it.) OMG, that princess dress was awful! Ok, show, let Nike wear her UNIQLO garb. It may be commoner's casual wear, but at least she can move in it!

More seriously, did spoiler[Nike have Livius's dream/memory in her head? They alluded to it, and I thought it was an interesting angle. Livius was ostracized in the palace because his mother was of "low birth"--was his mother a low ranking concubine? Could he possibly have half siblings somewhere? Maybe I'm just thinking too much of Saiunkoku- a western setting is less likely to have a king with recognized concubines. Would be interesting, though.]

I also think Neal's dialogue was way too expositional. He shouldn't have had to spell everything out for us. OTOH, Nike's magic rules seem inexplicably inconsistent. She didn't need any special circumstances to control wind, but she needs pretty flowers and special motivation to make it rain? Was she just claiming she needed certain circumstances to make Livius appreciate the rain more? I don't get it.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:00 am Reply with quote
Ahh,I am conflicted about this show.Nike is charming and likeable lead.When the show is centered around her,everything works.You care about her,and you become interested in seeing her in different situations.I am rather indifferent about shota king.He is not as annoying as I thought he would be,but man I couldn't care about his back-story or his excuses for militant dictatorship.When Sokollu Mehmed Pasha had void in his heart,he fulfilled it by creating a bridge.Learn from that kid,be more productive.Hopefully his character arc is now over so this show can now focus more on Nike.
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
what's the rush to tell us what the issue is? Why can't his actions and dialogue lead us to that point?

Because that will clear out any unnecessary speculation and dilly-dallying? I'm actually glad that it WAS spelled out. Along with the complaint that everything was too fast, I'm glad with both happening because that means there will be no unnecessary dancing around the issue (and the "show don't tell" approach is prone to misinterpretation anyway, so it's not always reliable), and that bodes well for me.. I hate it when other shows do that when it's already obvious to me what really is up.

And on the issue of Livi's age, the Japanese wiki states his age as 11. (Future chapters will actually get to discuss his age.) The manga's scanlators, and possibly the anime screenwriters, cranked up his age to 15 probably to keep people from being grossed out. And people will find hard to buy that this kid actually conquered other lands and is ruling a freaking empire.

I KNOW that this will potentially turn off a LOT of viewers, but the most I can say without going into spoiler territory is that if the anime stays faithful to the source and not add unnecessary shota fanservice(like the ED, god THAT traumatized me), their relationship will be nothing like you would fear. The closest thing that I can compare it to is A Bride's Story, which also features a shota groom. Keep in mind that both of these titles are set in eras where the most years you could live is 40, so child marriages were the norm. And both have no distasteful fetishizing whatsoever.

Last edited by trescaballeros on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:22 am; edited 5 times in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
Well, I just watched episode 2 and, that was something...

This may be one of the weirdest anime that I have watched to date. I don't mean that in a pejorative way. I say that because it is such a messy show in so many ways, but at the same time it is very beautiful. So, I think I am going to dub this show as a Beautiful Mess (unlike Chaika Coffin Princess, which I simply called a hot mess).

As I've said before, and all of us have probably taken notice, Nike is a very fantastic leading lady. I don't think she shined quite as well in episode 2 as she did in episode 1, but that is probably because episode 1 was more about showing her interacting with the good (and bad) people of the countryside, whereas episode 2 mainly focused on her sparring with the king. Yes, she still did have some nice moments, but there was also quite a bit of her butting heads with Mr. young king. Many of those parts were not scripted particularly well in my humble opinion.

For example, let's break down the scene where spoiler[Nike just escaped from the dungeon and tackles the king in his office. At first, she's appropriately angry about him locking her up and referring to her as a "play thing." But then after her stomach growls and she falls off him, there is like a massive switch in her demeanor toward him.] Suddenly she seems to lose all of her anger and becomes much more pliant and friendly, and goes into some kind of intellectual explanation of how her rain powers work... (the show is trying to make it seem like it is for the King's benefit, but I think it should be obvious that that was an attempt at a more subtle info dump for our benefit).

I'm not sure why the writers felt the need to disarm Nike so suddenly like that, though. She had every right to be upset, spoiler[she was just in a dungeon (and just escaped!!)]. I do think it is possible that this was a choice made due to the pace that was chosen for episode 2. As others have noted, developments between Nike and Mr. young king (more on him later) definitely felt rushed. Since they were trying to pack in a lot of info dumping and romantic set-up between the two of them in this episode, they may have decided that there wouldn't be time for her to stay upset with him, so perhaps it made sense in that context to have her be pissed for just a moment, and then suddenly switch to info-dump mode. If it was as simple as that (a time management issue) then I suppose it's not as egregious as it could be, but still, it made that scene seem very awkward to me.

I think that sort of rushed transition between the two of them was also kind of evident in the other transitions:

- that first one was anger/mild-hatred to "let's get along."
- the next transition was "let's get along" to pity spoiler[(the flower scene and the intensifying focus on how Mr. young king's eyes aren't a child's eyes)].
- and the next was pity to sympathy (toward the end of the episode, after spoiler[butler man explains things to Nike])
- as some have noted, I don't think they've attempted the transition to love yet, but it was certainly foreshadowed multiple times in the episode and there is no question that the previous three were laying the groundwork for that

As I said, I think the way they handled all of those transitions felt rushed. We in the audience weren't allowed to see each stage of this relationship really fleshed out fully. It could help to illustrate my point a bit to look at an example where very similar transitions were handled in an exceptional manner, such as Beauty and the Beast. The overall dynamic is similar: king who is kind of rude and uncaring needs to bring this girl into his life, and they start off with an angry relationship but she changes him and makes him a better person. Although that movie didn't have the benefit of an entire series of 22 minute episodes to flesh out that story, it didn't feel rushed at all in the way Belle transitioned away from her initial dislike of Beast toward loving him. The "angry" stage was particularly dramatic in that movie.

I don't want to belabor this point too much, but yea I definitely agree with those who are saying that this relationship is feeling rushed. It would have been particularly nice if they had allowed Nike to explore Mr. young king's background a bit more herself while struggling with her problems with him, rather than spoiler[have it explained to her right away by handsome butler guy].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
(unlike Chaika Coffin Princess, which I simply called a hot mess).

That sounds sexy.

And in referencing Beauty and the Beast, well when you have read Cracked.com as much as I have, it becomes hard to not have that messed with in your head. Until you see it as a creepy story about a woman falling into Stockholm syndrome, which I a really would be find with not happening here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
@ ChibiKangeroo - I agree, the dynamics of the relationship between Nike and Sun King did feel rushed. We'll see how things go from here.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
The second thing I wanted to talk about was Mr. young king himself (I didn't want to make my other post too much longer lol).

The first question, which was posed by episode 1 but not really answered in episode 2, is the shota question. Are we supposed to see him as a shota? Both in the preview guide talkback and earlier in this thread, I noted that it seemed like he was possibly going to be set up as sort of rude/uncaring noble who needs to be "changed" into a better version of himself. I talked about how the rude type of character can work when it is a shota because the character's youth might cause us to feel sympathy for him rather than be annoyed by him. (This is opposed to the rude older bishies, who tend to come across more as jerks.) I guess this is also likely a "moe" effect when it comes to the shotas.

So, is Mr. young king a shota? It appears that he is, but he also isn't. (Again, part of the reason I called this show a beautiful mess.) On the one hand, it is clear that the writing of his appearance is attempting to make him come across as a shota, or at least appeal somewhat to those who might like to see a shota. This is mainly due to the fact that he is young looking and a lot shorter than most other characters, including Nike. He's also referred to by her as a child and she says she could be like his big sister... (hmmm... bro-con anyone? Smile ) However, at the same time, I think he is not. His supposed age is 15, which I think might be pushing the boundaries of that definition a bit, and he doesn't come across as "younger than his actual age," like Honey did in Ouran High School. The reason why Honey is still a shota is because in addition to his size and whatnot, he also sounds and acts like a kid. In contrast, Mr. young king sounds and acts like he's 22.

I originally brought up the comparison to Ciel Phantomhive, and after watching episode 2 I do think it is probably one of the best ones to make. I do think Ciel was a shota, but there is definitely something different between him and Mr. young king. I do think Ciel's voice sounded younger, and it's probably because he was voiced by a girl whereas Mr. young king was voiced by a guy. There's also something different about how their faces look. Mr. young king looks more like someone just took an older character model and just scaled down his size, wheres Ciel actually looks like a kid.

Although the two characters have similar noble backgrounds and similar cynical demeanors, Ciel never really came across as cruel, just ruthless. You felt sorry for Ciel because the show was always sure to show you just how good of a person he was, even if he seemed to take pleasure in getting his hands dirty and "taking out the trash" so to speak. We are only two episodes in so it is hard to make a full judgment on Mr. young king, but I do think there has been some indication that he has a cruel side to him which is probably some kind of counter to his good side. Assuming that is the case, it is yet to be seen how his shota/not-shota status will impact that.

I do think the writing and animation here is trying to pull off some kind of balancing act between making Mr. young king a shota and also not having him be one at the same time. I haven't thought too much about the reasons behind that, but maybe they are trying as much as possible to broaden the appeal of the show while still giving a nod to a smaller demographic. As for my personal opinion about the character? As I said before, I think he would have been a better character if he were a true shota, more along the lines of Honey from Ouran High School, but with a similar tragic back story. It would have made him more sympathetic to the audience and made for a more interesting dynamic with Nike I think, but who knows, maybe they will pull off this mixed approach.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And in referencing Beauty and the Beast, well when you have read Cracked.com as much as I have, it becomes hard to not have that messed with in your head. Until you see it as a creepy story about a woman falling into Stockholm syndrome, which I a really would be find with not happening here.

Are we gonna learn that the king goes around murdering his servant to calm his anger next? Very Happy

Oh and small correction, the average age in middle age was very low, but this was mostly due to birth at death. If you have half the human dying before they reach a month old, that seriously diminish the average lifespan of the population, so it's not like everyone died in there 30's. Another cracked information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 34