• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds A Certain Magical Index Light Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:
thewizardninja wrote:

Can you really blame them though? You have to think of this in terms of putting out a novel series that people have to actually spend money on rather than just in terms of providing hard copy translations of something already written. You can translate a single LN in a month if you're good enough (or a week if you're the Index fan-translator), but it would be stupid releasing a novel each month because the release of the new novel will cut short the cooling off period of the previous one - it'd be a terrible sales decision.

Besides, 2-3 novels a year is pretty logical in terms of novel release dates in the West, it's what people are used to as well. Although, in Index's case, Yen Press should be looking into releasing volume bundles instead of releasing them individually. The early novels are short enough that you could put two or three of them together and it'd be the size of a regular size novel. It'd get the releases out faster and have the possible added marketing advantage of "two/three stories in one book!". Just a potential idea I had, don't know how viable it might be.

In this case, maybe bundling the books might be a good idea. In a situation like this, a 2-in-1 edition would be optimistic enough. Keep that at let's say 3 releases a year and Yen could catch up to 24 volumes in about 4 years, or 6 years if kept a two releases a year though.

That's more or less what how a French publisher announced they will be handling the SAO novels. It will be interesting to see if YP are considering a similar strategy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
*Explodes due to build up of internal screams*

Ditto. I am just beyond thrilled to see this, not to mention Yen being brave enough to launch an entire LN imprint! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Oh, 2014 is gonna be the year I unload a truckload of income for books.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
@fireaxe
Yen Press is an imprint of Little Brown, which in turn is an imprint of the Hachette Book Group a French Publisher. I wonder if the publisher you linked to is a competitor or part of the same company.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@fireaxe
Yen Press is an imprint of Little Brown, which in turn is an imprint of the Hachette Book Group a French Publisher. I wonder if the publisher you linked to is a competitor or part of the same company.

Hmm, for now all we know for sure is that Ofelbe Editions (a brand new company, the one set to release the SAO novels) is somewhat linked to Ototo Editions. They also mentioned on Twitter that they were an indie house, so it does seem like they might be competing against each other. Having said that, Yen's 1st volume will to be released tomorrow while Ofelbe's first 2-in-1 book has no official release date yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
Quote:
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

A light novel from 2013 by a completely unknown author.
Why?

Well, perhaps someone read it and thought it was really good?

I am so glad to see them doing more e-book versions of light novels. The format is perfect for e-books and more need to be made available via this relatively cheap and low risk method. (It is a lot cheaper than printing them, I presume...) I will still get the hard copies of Spice and Wolf, unless the later novels in the series are offered earlier on e-book, in which case I may convert my collection... I already switched to e-books for Haruhi.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I really want to support YP's LN efforts but I either didn't care for or don't consume the series they have. I don't read/watch Index and I don't like SAO, though AW might be good. Also that Dungeon one...what. Like, no one has EVER heard of that and LN's are niche enough already...? This'll be interesting.
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote
Polishing a fan-translation makes a lot of sense, given the massive amount of material they'll need to translate, especially if they're looking to add a significant number of series (I would bet Durarara isn't too far behind if this pays off for them). I don't really see why the licensors would care who does the translating (doujinshi artists occasionally get picked for work that's legalized, after all), so long as it doesn't increase piracy, and I don't see how that would plausibly happen. Even so, they might prefer to work with someone Yen Press has already determined is capable of producing quality work in a timely manner, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5