• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold Launches 'Robotech Academy' Mini-Series Pilot Kickstarter Campaign

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Give money to Harmony Gold? HA!! Not a chance. Laughing

This guy deserves your money more than Harmony Gold does: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

Isn't that against the rules? I thought you weren't allowed to do stuff like this.

How does Harmony Gold still exist? Their biggest money maker was Robotech, and that hasn't been relevant in years. Do they do something else outside of entertainment?

HG is a real estate company. They don't give a shit about Robotech. You see, as long as they make even 1 cent of profit on Robotech they won't let go. They won't let go because Robotech is not their main core business, it's just an afterthought. Hence they have to actually lose money on the franchise for there to be a future for Macross in the US and the rest of the world. So don't donate for this kickstarter campaign. Don't spend money on anything that's called Robotech. We have to do a total and complete boycott of this damned franchise. This is the only way to set Macross free.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah they aren't getting a cent for me. I'm sad they might get the money, but it won't be from me.

*sigh*
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
analogk37 wrote:
Before anyone is convinced that this won't get $500K, you might want to check the other Robotech kickstarter and see how much money that raised:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm?ref=discovery

If they even get a third of that amount, they'll be funded. And this was for a board game. A Board Game!!! Wink

I get the pun, dude.

Whoa, the board game made 20 times more money than asked fund! I wonder if Japanese side got some royalty out of it. If not, someone should pass the word to Japanese creators via Twitter.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
SynergyMan wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Ugh, just stop Harmony Gold. A new generation of anime fans don't need to know more bastardization of those 3 shows, especially Macross, we want SDF and the other entries in their pure form dammit.

I agree, but you can buy Macross Plus and the original online.

There was a brief period where ADV had SDF in its pure form to my knowledge, but that boxset is like impossible to come by now. Plus was saved by Manga Entertainment, so there's those DVD sets still yeah. With that said, if anyone's wondering about the Plus Blu-Ray imports, I hear they are quite bad, so you may want to avoid them.

There were also individual volumes. Though vol.5 and vol.6 can be a bit pricey and Vol.7, from what I hear, is pretty much non-existent at this point.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
If they get a half mill for this it will just prove to me that there really are fools who have more money than sense, and one can not argue with fools.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
And this is the reason i feel the biggest problem British fans face is the American fans.
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
Now I kinda want to support this....
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:47 am Reply with quote
Also what regulation is going to enforce HG to actually use that money to make this anime anyway? What's stopping them from taking the money and run?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Also what regulation is going to enforce HG to actually use that money to make this anime anyway? What's stopping them from taking the money and run?

Nothing because copyright trolls.

Let HG die. Let them die.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
WAIT...before they die, we've gotta get them to turn over any and all materials related to their Dragon Ball dub, as well as their Dr. Slump "pilot dub"! Their complete original Macross VHS dub wouldn't hurt either. Oh, and I hear the Captain Harlock/Queen Millenia dub is worth a few laughs. I am fully prepared to stage a raid on their offices. On horseback.

In all seriousness, I believe some peeps at Kanzenshuu uncovered audio masters from the DB dub, and it's now in the hands of FUNi.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
With that said, if anyone's wondering about the Plus Blu-Ray imports, I hear they are quite bad, so you may want to avoid them.

If you're a super fan of Macross Plus, it's worth importing the box set. The transfer is stellar; it's one of the best-looking ports of a near-20-year-old show I've seen.

There are a few distinct problems: the disc of the OVA series is authored such that the dub, sold in the Japan as the "Macross Plus International Version", is split off from the original Japanese language OVA. So you can't just toggle the audio; they're in different places on the disc. Additionally, the OVA in Japanese does not offer subtitles. And, finally, the fourth episode does not have the final dub we got here in the US; it has a temp dub done quickly that Big West commissioned when the the US dub files got lost in transit. That temp dub is TERRIBLE. The only recurring dub voice actor in the cast is Anne Sherman (Myung), and the script is garbage.

The second disc has the movie, and that offers subtitles, but they're not Manga US's subs; they're janky and not that great.

Chances are though that if you're the type to even consider importing Macross Plus, you've seen it so many times that you don't even need a translation and can just eat up what's happening on screen in the best possible picture. If that's you, it's worth plunking down the $130ish or whatever it's going for now. I wouldn't recommend it to a first-time viewer.
Tochiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

(snip) if anyone's wondering about the Plus Blu-Ray imports, I hear they are quite bad, so you may want to avoid them.

Whoah there. The Macross Plus BD had some issues (as the previous poster elaborated on very well) but its not like the subs are impossible to understand.
More importantly, the remaster is absolutely GORGEOUS. So much so that I even saw it at the cinema. Since Macross Plus fans already know what's going on regardless of the subtitle quality , I still recommend the boxset - it is the best the OVA will ever look.
http://www.macrossworld.com/4976/macross-speakerpodcast-ep-9-part-2/

omiya wrote:
Harmony Gold prevented the Macross Frontier series from getting a release with English subs/dubs.

Why would any English-speaking fan of Macross Frontier give Harmony Gold anything?

Well, Frontier fans are in luck because, as was reported right here on ANN, the latest movie boxset has English subtitles! Smile
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-18/macross-frontier-film-box-adds-new-footage-english-subtitles

And they are pretty darn good subtitles too.! Sure, it's not the series but it's a start!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
Carl was a friend of the family so I can't bag on what he did. RIP buddy.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
The last thing I bought for Robotech many many years ago was a prequel to Robotech or something like Macross Zero in comic book trade paperback form. It was all color, extremely well drawn/written and had a short epilogue before the 2nd act were it was bastarized.

I remember that series, DC/Wildstorm put it out. I thought it was okay. But that was right about the same time I was discovering the larger Macross franchise via Macross Zero. So... bit of a weird time for me as a Macross fan.

Quote:
This is what they should focus on something that is cheap and easy to produce not waste time and money on actually media/animation that is never going to happen. They could get it out in a timely fashion cough cough maybe and at least it would satisfy the old farts who still cling to Robotech and this would be their fix.

Well... funny you should mention that...

Two hacked up Frankensteins for the price of one!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
HG is a relic from the past. The only thing they know how to do is to combine shows together hoping the nostalgics will be there. Witness what Mr Adventure just posted. If that doesn't send a shiver down your spine nothing will. HG has no place at all in the modern anime world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6