• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Busou Renkin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But the whole fight scene seemed very rushed and sort of anti climatic after . .

I don't know, rushed, yeah, but I think I much prefered it to the massively drawn out fight at the end of Scyred, for example. That wouldn't have been necessary. In exchange, I think we got a suitably tight, brutal little fight scene in which the characters got to show off their best tactics and the victor was fairly determined.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, I actually saw this thread way back in January, but it's actually this thread that got me to watch it, so I ended up watching about the first 17 episodes all bunched together, but by the time I caught up with it, the thread had disappeared off the face of the earth! Well, now that this thread is back, and now that Busou is over, I guess it's time for me to give my two pennies!

Well, I really loved this series, not caring how generic it is. (I usually like shonen even if it is too generic, although it did loose a few points for being so) It was just a really well done series. The musical score was one of the best I've ever heard, which really did wonders for the emotional effect, as did the very good voice acting. It was very intense, exciting, heartfelt, inspirational, fun, and just overall awesome! I have to say that Papillon is now one of my favorite all time villains! Mostly because I just got this vibe from him as your traditional comic book superhero villain type. But there's also just a charismatic element to him that makes him just an all around likable character, villain or no. The whole thing with Victor was really good, and Victor is definitely just simply one of the coolest villains ever! I really loved some of the character backgrounds as well, such as Victor's, the brother and sister's (forgot their names) and Tokiko's herself. I also really loved how bad a** Tokiko was as well.

Although I have to say that it wasn't until near the ending that I started to like it for being at least a little bit more original than just a generic shonen. I never expected it to end with Kazuki doing that noble thing he did in order to defeat such a terrifying villain such as Victor, nor did I expect him to come back from it in such a heroic way, or for him and Tokiko to end up together the way they did. I didn't expect the whole thing with the white kakugane and there only being one while having to stall for Papillon to make his own. Those all earned major points for me at the end. I'm with those wishing it was a longer series though. It definitely seems like it had the potential to have some pretty sweet depth to it had it done so.

I think I'll give it a very good, just a few points away from excellent, around the same neighborhood as D.Gray-Man and Death Note on my list.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't around since January so I wasn't here for this thread, but I had been following the TV series since it first aired back in the fall season. In fact, it was my most looked forward to title, as I had previously been a huge fan of the manga series, back it was cancelled and thought of an anime seemed near impossible. When I saw this thread I just had to post my opinions. since this became a favorite of mine.

I had actually wrote why in the Favorite/Least favorite thread

Ari-chan wrote:
My top 5 Favorites are (In no real particular order):

1. Busou Renkin: Every year I get to see at least one new shounen jump anime, and rarely do I ever really keep interest in any of those anime long enough to finish it. Busou Renkin is different. With it's final episode premiering in Japan only two days from now, I can finally say I finished a shounen jump anime series and really liked it. With only 26 episodes, Busou Renkin manages to be a Generic Shounen Anime that doesn't last more than 50 episodes. I don't mind cliches or a generic story every once in a while, as long as the series can use its plotline to its advantage. Busou Renkin is far from anything even close to the word origional, but the series has enough heart and spirit to keep me locked on. Being a fan of Watsuki Nobuhiro's work already, I had already read the manga series and loved it even during those times where this series was beaten to death with bashes such as "It is a Full Metal Alchemist/Bleach ripoff!!!"and "It isn't Rurouni Kenshin". I guess defending the series I enjoyed from such bashes made me like the series even more. Aside from the that though, the reason I like this anime is quite simple. I enjoy the characters, and the story. I have fun watching Kazuki and Tokiko fight the homoculus while also goofing around with thier Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Rurouni Kenshin parodies. It is a series I can watch, have fun with, and relax to, while having that comfort of knowing it has an ending.

Having alreay seen the ending as opposed to when I wrote this (I was on episode 25 at the time). I must say I still liked the ending. Though I do wish Xebec would have made this a little longer as to not have to eliminate some great scenes (mini Tokiko, and Victoria's manga introduction, or more Gouta scenes), I was completely satisfied with the ending, and loved that they added Busou Renkin After in the credits. Personally, I think 32 episodes would have been perfect. Though overall, Busou Renkin was a wonderful anime.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I had no idea so many other people enjoyed it. So by some of the comments I've seen, I take it the manga is slightly better for leaving certain scenes intact? It's too bad Watsuki got canned after only so many volumes. Just imagine how much more developed this could've been if it were the same length as Kenshin Anime hyper. Ah well, even for 10 volumes and 26 episodes worth, it's very enjoyable.

I would bet that someday Geneon picks this up, but only because I saw their logo in the credits around the earlier episodes. Although, Geneon Japan doesn't always equal Geneon America, right?
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Nope, not always. Genaon Japan equals sells to the highest bidder.

Anyway, I loved this show all the way through, except ep. 25. It was good but when spoiler[ he rockets to the moon then have an episode without Kazuki in it at all and time's flying without telling me anything, I got a little irritated.] But then 26 comes along and I love it anyway. I would've loved to see some kissing going on a little longer and more Pappilon super heroness. In fact I think a spin-off should happen where it's all about Butterfly Man and awesomeness.

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
vylo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Hey just noticed a thread was made about this series.

This was a fun one to watch. I originally thought it was going to be one I wasn't going to finish, but turned out I watched the whole thing in 2 days.

By no means was it a stellar anime, but it was worth watching. The comedy in it was great, especially how it makes fun of its own cheesiness and cliches ("Becuase it's cooler that way"). The fast food scene was classic.

And anyone saying this is a ripoff of FMA is out of their skull. Completely different setting, characters, sets of circumstances, etc. It would be like saying Rah Xephon was a rip off of Gundam wing.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this threads alive again despite the series being over for a good few months! Well, I guess it's understandable given that vylo just finished the series. Glad you enjoyed it. Very Happy

Anyways, since I just noticed this thread back up I've been wondering, what do you guys think about this series being licensed? Is it going to ever happen or is it just going to get overlooked? It really does seem to me like a series that could become a pretty good success under Viz, maybe even a chance for Toonami to get more dark, teenage oriented series like they used to, if they did a few edits to it that is. Otherwise I'd say this one probably is more an Adult Swim type series, or maybe even something like Sci-Fi or Fuse.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wouldn't mind Viz getting this, seeing as they already have a whole bunch of other Jump series as it is. But knowing them, we wouldn't get any kind of starter set or anything and would have to wait for an eventual box set, which would take at least a year to a year and a half, if you want a box, that is.

Personally, I'd like Geneon to get it, as they could use some more campy shounen titles among their current releases. A few of their recent acquisitions seem to have either darker or more mature atmospheres to them (Hellsing Ultimate, Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon, Higurashi, Zipang), so BR could be a nice change of pace to go along with Karin, Rozen Maiden, Shounen Omyouji, and Kyo Kara Maoh! (have not seen any of those except for Rozen, which I didn't like too much).

As for broadcasting, I think this would work well on [adult swim]. Since a lot of the series is full of clichés and whatnot, and the fact that a lot of people like to call it "a rip off" of Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist, I'm sure the atmosphere would at least feel somewhat familiar and not get the audience lost. And if they threw in a commercial advertising "from the creator of Rurouni Kenshin..." or whatever, that might work to gain a few glimpses as well. All of which I mentioned above (discarding the Geneon titles) have either aired or is still airing on Cartoon Network, by the way, so that's another coincidence to help add fuel to the fire Razz.

So yeah, I believe this series could do well in North America if a good company gets it and manages to air it on Cartoon Network, at least. The only thing that would worry me about Geneon now, though, is if they screw it over and bastardize its image like they did to Hajime no Ippo. Now that would've gotten some good ratings (pending on the dub, which I've yet to hear).
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't mind Viz getting this, seeing as they already have a whole bunch of other Jump series as it is. But knowing them, we wouldn't get any kind of starter set or anything and would have to wait for an eventual box set, which would take at least a year to a year and a half, if you want a box, that is.

Personally, I'd like Geneon to get it, as they could use some more campy shounen titles among their current releases. A few of their recent acquisitions seem to have either darker or more mature atmospheres to them (Hellsing Ultimate, Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon, Higurashi, Zipang), so BR could be a nice change of pace to go along with Karin, Rozen Maiden, Shounen Omyouji, and Kyo Kara Maoh! (have not seen any of those except for Rozen, which I didn't like too much).

Yeah, good point about Geneon getting it. I agree, they really do need to get something a little more light hearted, and this would be a great opportunity for them to do so. I could also see Funimation getting it too, them being pretty big on SJ series themselves. I of course wouldn't mind Viz at all either, but being more of a box set collector, if it really does take them that long to release them, I'm not so sure.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind Viz getting it so much if they just gave us faster box set releases, Since I know I'll be getting Busou Renkin (I hate how box sets either come at the end or with the first DVD, it should be the second). I actually would prefer if Funimation got it instead, since I think they do an overall better job with releases and even dubbing. I really can't see Geneon getting this title though, since they tend to cater to a completely different audience then Viz or Funi. All I know is that I want to own DVDs!!!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
Oh, and while I'm remembering. I took a picture of a Captain Bravo cosplayer at A-Kon 18 a couple of months ago. It's not too bad, if only his Silver Skin were a little shinier Razz.

Picture.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quote
As long as this has been resurrected I'll just point out that I too have also watched this great series (about 2 months ago) and really liked it a lot. There needs to be more short little shounen series like this one. Developes the characters, has some great action, tells a great story and then ends after a reasonable ammount of episodes rather than draging on forever. Only other ones that have done that have been Scryed and Fullmetal Alchemist, maybe Claymore as well, but that's not over yet.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
vylo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Wow, this threads alive again despite the series being over for a good few months!

A wise man once said:

"is better to bump dead thread then to open three more on the same topic"

Razz
zebbox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
i was just wondring when will buso renkin be licensed ?
and they will not skip the dub Mad

one more thing i dont want Chris Patton as Kazuki Muto
i kinda tired of hear him.

sorry my bad english

i hope someone licensed soon please. Sad
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I actually have a question for anyone that's read the manga. How accurate is the anime in adapting it? I really like how the anime presented everything, especially in the music and voice acting, but I'm wondering if there are any details (big or small) in the manga that might've been omitted.

I'm more of an anime person, but would prefer to keep just one representation of a franchise if they differ that greatly. After watching the D.Gray-man anime, then eventually reading the manga, I found the anime to be a huge disappointment in comparison, unless they decide to do a remake someday, which I doubt.

But seeing as how BR was well into completion before the anime was made, I wouldn't think there's that big of a difference, right?

10 volumes of manga versus 6-7 volumes of anime. I'm running low on shelf space for manga, but the cost for the (eventual) DVDs or a box set are something to consider as well. Which one should I stick with?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7