• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comedian/Actor Robin Williams Passes Away at 63

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I loved his Genie song in Aladdin. Farewell to a truly talented person.

Yeah, it was amazing.

He's always been one of my favorites Crying or Very sad
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I can't help wondering what exactly he was depressed about. The note he left his Daughter brings even more questions.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
My mother woke me up with the news (nothing at that time is appreciated before a long day at work) and it certainly made me sit up - everyone was talking about it at work which shows the power Robin had. Another big hit in the world of acting and celebrity land.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
A sad ending to a great man. Another example of someone whose demons got the best of him. A loss to the film community and to the anime and video game fan communities. Requiescat in pace.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Sad news, he was a great actor. May he rest in peace.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
this might be the worst celebrity death I’ve ever seen in my lifetime, Robin Williams was a huge part of my childhood, Toys, Jumanji, Aladdin and Ms. Doubtfire were all movies I loved as a kid, just the sound of his voice was like a security blanket to me, sure not all of his movies were good, but in my opinion if they were bad it was not because of him (Patch Adams is a perfect example of this, it’s a terrible movie but because of the script, not his performance)

there was just something comforting about him to me and learning that he was a fan of stuff like The Legend of Zelda and Evangelion only reaffirmed in my mind that he was cool, to see that he goes out like this, by suicide, is beyond devastating, if he had dropped dead from a heart-attack that would be one thing, it would be tragic, but suicide makes it all the more worse, to know that he spent the last time of his life in such agony that he ended it by his own hands, there are no words, it’s horrible, a literal nightmare

there have been many celebrity deaths that were shocking, but this is the first one where I literally did not believe what I was reading, I felt dizzy, everything suddenly seemed unreal, I just could not believe it, I felt for sure that there was some mistake, that maybe this was a hoax of some sort, but no, even so I still can’t really believe it

RIP Robin Williams and Godspeed
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Sorry If I go off topic, but this is another breaking news: Lauren Bacall, another celebrity just died today at the age of 89. She voiced Witch of the waste in Howl's Moving Castle.

2 deaths in 2 days. Shocked Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
It seems like all of the icons of my childhood, those people who almost seemed to be defining elements of reality itself, are going away in terrible hurry.

I felt more sadness at this being a suicide borne of depression than if it had been almost any other kind. It's something so personal and inscrutable that's impossible to understand from the outside, not that it was really comprehensible for him. I know that it must have hurt terribly for him to do this, although we can't know just how. It seems to be a common price that remarkably creative people pay for what they do.

Depression is, among other things, much commoner than we think and much more insidious.

I would have been nice if he played a voice in an anime dub.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I was really saddened hearing this news. I first saw the news in TV and I just couldn't believe it, especially after they stated that he did suicide.

I see that everyone here loves him. Unlike others, his figure is always filled with good things. No controversy or bad gossips whatsoever. If it were some other celebrity, I would probably cuss him for ending his own life. But since it's Mr. Williams, I think he must had a very terrible depression that he chose to end his life with his own hand. I just couldn't believe it.

He plays a lot of roles, and I love every movie which he's in. But one thing I remember about him the most is that he named his daughter Zelda.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Damn this is depressing, even more so because now I know that he liked anime.

Rest in Peace sir, you enlightened my childhood many a time.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This is just one of the worst celebrity deaths in my lifetime, and one of the most sudden. Who knew he was like this? But he really seemed like one of the most genuinely good celebrities (everyone, from people here to other actors and comedians who knew him, keep using words like warm, generous, kind, etc. Everyone), and was able to transcend most of his mistakes/demons (drugs, affairs and divorces, etc.), rather than being defined by or remembered for them. I think that's interesting.

So who would have expected him to go out in such a horrible way?

Just awful. R.I.P. to him.

Also, the certain reason that he never acted for a Ghibli dub, despite being a fan of anime (!), was that he was on bad terms with Disney from they made Aladdin in the early 90s to 2009 when he reconciled with them. He didn't even contribute to the Aladdin DVD release, apparently.

BTW, we also lost James Garner and Elaine Stritch, in addition to the others mentioned. Another death-filled year for actors. :/

Last edited by doomydoomdoom on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
No! He was a part of my childhood and I loved all of his films growing up! He always know how to make me laugh but the fact that he's hiding his own personal sadness by going through a terrible depression of his own is really tragic.

I remember being firstly introduced to him as being the voice of the Genie from Aladdin and it has always been a childhood favorite of mine and in every performance I have saw him in, he always makes me laugh and gave his best performance in everything that he's in and since there's no tabloid fodder surrounding him before this unexpected death, it just made it that much more sadder.

R.I.P. Robin Williams, you may no longer be with us now, but you will always be a part of our hearts and you will never be replaced and there will be no one else quite like you.

Sad
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Farewell, Mork.
staab99

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. Mr. Williams Sad

I will leave this clip as one of my favorite child hood memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFn8dYw044

w0rd
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Here's a heartwarming YouTube video with Robin & her daughter Zelda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcZhY_Zo-yg
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6