• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - I've Got A Blank Space Baby

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Even more than the goofy Engrish or random Japanese words in titles, it's the sheer amount of punctuation and capitalization abuse that really gets to me. Like, the Semicolon Series? Pretty much everything CLAMP has ever produced? I almost start twitching when I read them.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I've never understood why Nijuu Mensou no Musume is titled "Chiko, Heiress of the Phantom Thief" in English. The literal translation, "The Daughter of Twenty Faces" would have been perfectly fine. What is especially bad about the official title is that it says Chiko is Nijuu Mensou's heir, but that is entirely untrue. She is an heiress, but not his heiress. They're not even related.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
With AoT, perhaps the Japanese decide to use the word "attack" and "titan" because it might sound more appealing/catchy than to use the words "advance" and "giant".
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
With AoT, perhaps the Japanese decide to use the word "attack" and "titan" because it might sound more appealing/catchy than to use the words "advance" and "giant".

I definitely agree that "titan" is far more memorable than "giant," and kudos to whoever chose it. The main problem is, as many have mentioned, the singular noun. "Attack on Titan" = scifi piece set around Saturn's moon. "The Attacking Titans," "Attack the Titans," "The Attack on Titans," any combination makes more sense in English.
king 47

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Engrish really bothers me with titles. But weird punctuation bothers me even more. Sorry, I meant PunC+Ua!0;n".

Weird naming is also common in Japanese video games. Bravely Default is a recent one. The game has a Brave-Default battle system, but the name still irks me as an English speaker.

As for Bleach, I don't mind the name. The show/manga is borderline garbage, but the name isn't all that bad. Some have explanations for the name, but it's a word English speakers understand. And it's very searchable. The title doesn't always have to have very deep connections with the story, sometimes it just needs to act as an identification.
I generally prefer the English names for shows, but if the original isn't difficult or too weird/long, then I'm fine with the original name.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
I didn't think Angel Beats! was that strange since there is a character named Angel and music is featured heavily in the show, hence "Beats."...

Actually, the latter part of the title most likely comes from the fact that.. (Warning, heavy spoilers!)
spoiler[..after Otonashi died following the train incident, Tenshi was the one who received his heart as a transplant. It's even revealed to the characters themselves at one point when Tenshi doesn't hear his beating heart because it's missing...)]

Fan-speculation at one point was, prior to the revelations, that the title was because of all the bullying Yuri was subjecting Tenshi to Laughing ...

Edit; Didn't see Key's post which already explained it.

Yeah, I guess that is true. It also explains the logo as a whole.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the person who said that "The Advancing Titans" is the most "correct" translation of the title, but the idea of it being set on a terraformed future Titan intrigues me...it would at least explain why the Survey Corps doesn't seem to have much trouble with gravity Smile

Nijuumensou no Musume: I haven't seen that one, but given the parameters mentioned, how about "The Girl With Twenty Faces." "Musume" can be used to simply mean "girl," "no" is not necessarily an apostrophe-s, and if she's not the daughter of the "real" Fiend with Twenty Faces whom Edogawa Rampo wrote about, this would seem the way to go about it.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Attacking Titans would work nicely, since it can mean both "titans who are attacking" and "process of attacking titans."
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I haven't seen that one, but given the parameters mentioned, how about "The Girl With Twenty Faces." "Musume" can be used to simply mean "girl," "no" is not necessarily an apostrophe-s, and if she's not the daughter of the "real" Fiend with Twenty Faces whom Edogawa Rampo wrote about, this would seem the way to go about it.

She becomes his surrogate "daughter" over the course of the story, and others tend to think of her that way. This anime adapts a manga which reused Rampo's characters with permission from his estate. Akechi-sama also makes a couple of cameo appearances.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt Kaguya stands a chance, even if it's Ghibli. Spirited Away won because Disney strongly associated itself with the movie, and hence you got Hollyqwood insiders chatting about it. Kaguya is pretty much on its own. Even with the Academy, it feels like it's about who you know and how many people you know, especially in the more neglected categories like Best Animated Picture, because these voters are just as likely to help their friends win as they would vote for which movie they actually enjoyed the most. And because people working in anime rarely make contact with the southern California entertainment people, anime has a huge uphill battle. If it was done in live-action, I think it'd stand a good chance at Best Foreign Film.

Are the Hub/Discovery Kids shows towards the tail end of the trend for Vancouver voice actors? They seem to be the only shows left with a mostly Canadian cast that aren't Canadian productions altogether, like Total Drama.

As for word salad titles, I think some of these anime/manga people see conventions and the fandom in the English-speaking world and think they're the pinnacle of cool, as if they're MTV in the late 80's and that whatever stylish way they distort the English language will be whatever becomes cool.

Although I'm sure it's more likely it's because whoever decided on a nonsensical name thought it would be clear in English or gets the message across.

Agent355 wrote:
It was just an overall emotionally mature movie, and featured the parents as much as the girl to emphasize the theme of the guesswork in parenting, which should really appeal to those older Oscar voters. I hope it does.

This is assuming they'll even watch it at all. If western animation is not taken seriously in Hollywood (and Burbank), anime is even less so. Anime is basically the dork of the schoolyard who's popular with the other dorks.

Paiprince wrote:
Interesting enough, if you try to look back and think about classic titles like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Mobile Suit Gundam, they don't much sense for native English speakers. English wasn't my first language so a lot of anime titles didn't sound illogical to me in hindsight. Rolling Eyes

For that, I'd partially blame it on how the Japanese language uses titles as prefixes. Technically, it works in English, as titles function like adjectives, which is probably why a lot of people in Japan don't really see a problem with the word ordering.

king 47 wrote:
Weird naming is also common in Japanese video games. Bravely Default is a recent one. The game has a Brave-Default battle system, but the name still irks me as an English speaker.

The title of that game will always make me think of irresponsible debt management before anything else.

Whatever the Brave-Default system is, it sounds like Engrishy gibberish too.
Hehaho1830

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Just have to say, I love it when the English names for anime fit old surfer lingo in the name, who cares if its archaic, just look at all the chuunibyou shows and their archaic readings of Japanese!
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
I think my favorite recent strange English title is "Encouragement of Climb." Laughing

Yeah, that. Especially since a literal translation of "Mountains of Encouragement" would have been perfect.

My favorite is still Kimi ga Nozomu Eien -> Rumbling Hearts. Don't even try to translate, just use the name of a song... what? (As though "The Eternity You Desire" would have been a terrible name?)
Maokun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Key, I can help you with understanding Bleach's title. In addition to what Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote, the title also refers to Ichigo's hair. That's because it looks bleached (at least to other characters), even though it is a natural colour (from his mum's side). Because bleached hair is a supposed sign of delinquency (moreso in Asia than Anglophone countries), Ichigo has been treated poorly by many people.

His teachers thought he was a no good miscreant, and so his good grades are the result of his desire to spite them and prove them wrong. And whenever he walked down the street, thugs would look at him and think he's a fellow hooligan, so they would attack him thinking that he also wants to fight. That's why he learned how to defend himself in a fight even before becoming a shinigami, because he kind of had to.

So yeah, Ichigo's hair explains a lot of about what makes him tick, and also why he has his current rough attitude; he used to be a crybaby, but not anymore. The fact that it got its colouration from his mother made him even more sensitive about it.

Yep, this is the right explanation, directly from Tite Kubo.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
I think they could an entire ANNCast on the issue of anime titles getting translated.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
Outdated was preferable in the BSP case. We could've ended up with Space Pirates On Fleek.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6