• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I blame Loki. Aiz is Loki`s favorite so I would expect something a bit weird. I agree it`s an odd armor design.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sadly “beautiful,” “doesn't emote,” and “skilled with a sword” don't add up to someone we can form an attachment to,

Aiz isn't my favorite character, but I do like her. She's one of those characters that is very understated, so if you aren't paying attention you can miss her emoting. If you do pay attention to the little details though, it's pretty cute, and a nice offset to the over the top performances of Hestia and Lil.

And no, there's not anything more to Bell's crush on her, he doesn't know anything about her that we don't, he's just attracted to strong women, which I suppose he should be punished for?

Honestly I'm a bit flabbergasted by the reaction Aiz gets. If you had a series in which a cute girl were crushing on a stoic, beautiful, badass male, nobody would bat an eye. Aiz is essentially the looks and personality of Sunakawa from My Love Story, who girls already squee over on the show, PLUS the strength and heroism of Goda, which are enough to win him respect. Why doesn't she deserve the hero's crushing on her?

Quote:
Whoever he is, he seems to have a vendetta against the Soma Familia, as we very clearly see their familia crest (a goblet in a crescent moon) at the scene of a massacre at the hands of a familiar monster.

I don't know that we can assume this just yet. He trained up and set loose that monster, but how would he direct it to a specific target? It's possible he got it to attack those adventurers specifically, but my impression was that he was just trying to cause reckless danger for whomever happened to pass his way, a "level 25" monster in a "level 10" area or whatever. He's trolling, basically.

Quote:

As much speculation as Hestia's boob string has inspired, I'm wondering if there's as much noise about Aiz's armor. For the life of me I can't see any rationale for having the underside of one boob exposed, unless it's meant as an invitation to strike at a vulnerable looking vital point, which of course she's prepared to defend against. It just looks lopsided and silly to me.

It is kind of silly. I assume it's just meant to be stylish. It's not like the rest of her armor is suuuuper practical, I mean, it does provide some protection to vital spots, but has a lot of wide openings too. It's anime armor, basically. Any reasonable armor would at least protect from the belly button to the neck. The underboob thing is odd, but even without it it would not be the best armor out there, and at least she has a dress on under it.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I am glad I saved this for last of my batch tonight. Totally worth it. I fully agree here that the battle was really well done. I, at least, was utterly captivated (which doesn't happen THAT often). When it wants, DanMachi can hit all the important buttons just right (much like the finish of two episodes back). Now if it had a little more consistency, it could be truly great.

I do share the regret of not getting to see more of Bell and Hestia together though... It seemed like such an important part initially but has taken a backseat for quite awhile since Bell got the knife.

One thing this episode did was making Bell a little more likable and relatable to me something that didn't quite happen before as I found Bell a little too generic and bland. This episode brought his motivation and development out very well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
#Zero

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Aiz's characterization is lacking in the anime, they skip some important details regarding her, maybe they didn't adapt them because they plan to adapt the spin-off. The relationship between Bell and Aiz is one which is supposed to slowly gets better as their characters are developed. It's skipped in the anime but Bell accepted her training mainly because he wanted to know her more, and he did.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Freya's lust-filled plans for Bell are quite obvious to me, although the specifics on when she's going to claim Bell are still unanswered in the novels.

The novels explain that Ottarl, the big man training the Minotaur, is spoiler[Freya's most loyal follower. Even when she points out his position as her champion could be threatened by her preference for Bell, he is still willing to carry out her wishes and plans.

And if Freya's training plan for Bell went wrong and he died, it wouldn't have mattered to her. She'd have abandoned her Familia and reascended to heaven to claim Bell's soul then. Note there's a VERY long line for gods who want to re-descend to earth again!]
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Like Rebecca, this episode impressed me more than I thought it would - mightily so. That was some especially fine combat choreography, but I entirely agree that everything came together beautifully. In my book it's the best action sequence of the year so far, one that I probably won't get through the extra-long weekend without rewatching at least once or twice. Can't say that about anything I've seen so far this season in something like, say, F/SN.

I'm not quite as concerned (yet) about the reduction in Bell/Hestia interaction. This production has so exceeded my expectations so far that I trust it to find a way to make it work. Still, it would be nice to see a bit more of Hestia over the next couple of episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bassgs435

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Danmachi just proved that JC Staff can be better than Ufotable when they try, and it's glorious. I can't think of any recent fight better than Bell vs Minotaur (except, maybe the stuff involving Minato and Tryon 3 from GBF Try, and some of BF S1 fights). It was glorious. 10/10 thank you, based JC Staff
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just wow. I knew this show had the potential to do awesome battles, but never quite imagined this. As Rebecca said, even though "Bell vs. Minotaur" took almost half of the episode, it doesn't feel drawn out, which is amazing, as shows of this kind tend to have short fights, or really long ones with not much to offer.

But what I liked the most was how it perfectly tied with Bell's motivations, and how his motivations feel so... "human". Being strong for the sake of being strong is not really interesting, but being strong because you want to catch up to someone, because you don't want to feel like people have to protect you and everything that Bell stands for... well, that's interesting, and relatable as well.

Bell is en route to becoming a hero; in that sense, the Argonauts comparison is pretty adequate. Bell wants to be a hero in a place filled with adventurers, through adventuring, which is a simple yet pretty grand goal if you think about it... and his aptitude to be a "hero" like in greek legends is probably what has Freya interested in him. But we'll see.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
I can`t see any complaints about the focus of this episode. Pretty hard to top where they went. Guess the disappointment was Hestia didn`t really get to make up for episode 6. This show very much focuses on a more realistic choreography, even the small battles showed that with Bell`s knife usage. Was wonderful to see a real battle for this show. Hestia got to look good for the small parts she was in this episode, but today the Liliruca fans won out.

Aiz is fine for now as a foil. They haven`t really made her unlikeable in any way. For now she is the far away star that is hard to believe you can ever reach. We`ll probably not really get to know her better unless another season is made. Though this is the first real step for Bell to catch up to her.
Robeltharion

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Sooo... this show is getting a sequel right? In the opnening and the ending i see a lot of characters that haven't been introduced so i suppose there will be a second season at least in a year.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
They are probably setting up for a sequel, I think that this show can probably come up with a good open ended ending for now. I really prefer shows to hope for another season as opposed to ruining the pace. Even if it does lead to many shows all the sudden just stopping because their second season never happened.
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
I finally made time to see episode 9. And I quite liked it. It isn't quite as satisfying as episode 8, but it's nice to see Bell getting to know more people and making new companions. Welf in particular seems like a pretty cool guy, so I'm excited to see more of him.

My wish is for them to have an epic battle against some monster, where not only Bell, but also Lili and Welf get to play an important part into defeating it.
dcadint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
I've read some of the manga might like to try the light novel as well. What gets me most about this is if you just look at the title and a summary of the plot your first thought is going to be "sounds like a cliche fantasy rpg based story line with little hope that it will be anything more..." But when you get into it the character development and story development really breaks out of the mold of the genre and is quite interesting. A lot of work has gone into developing the characters and the context for their actions in a way that draws one in. There are reasons for their actions but they are not over stated but are fluid drawing a connection from episode to episode.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
The tenth episode was a really good start to the final portion of the series. I completely agree that this series has been quite misnamed and it's probably misled more people than it should. Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon is one of the better fantasy anime to come out recently.

I'm really fond of how it plays with game-like mechanics without feeling like it's dragging everything down. Especially since most of the game series (such as SAO, Log Horizon and even .hack) don't even touch upon the idea of leveling (other than it being a number beside the character's name).

I'm also really glad to see Bell with a party. And the dynamics are great. They feel less like a party from a game, and remind me more of the Fellowship of the Ring, or Thorin's band from Tolkien's novels (and Peter Jackson's films).
MysticMew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
lol Finally someone called it... I already did so in my own mini-reviews a few times. It is a very misleading title. I mean what girls did Bell actually "pick up" in the dungeon except Lili (and even that is a stretch)? Considering his three person party consists of two guys (including himself) and one girl, people can easily get the wrong idea about this anime. It's funny but might also stop someone from giving it a shot because they expect a lot of harem-esque scenes. So, I am not sure if they are doing themselves a favor or the opposite with the title. Anime smile

Aside from that, I am glad to see that the quality is starting to become more consistent towards the end. This is definitely one of these anime that really needs more seasons and soon. When this is done, I might check out the novels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9