• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why I Can't Stop Watching Prison School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KuroiEr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
For me prison school shines a harsh light on the ways society views sexual violence and gender. It very crudely illustrates that sexual violence against men is downplayed and minimized.
"They don't really deserve everything that happens to them, but you still kind of feel like they do. " This line perfectly illustrates how we just can't seem to see males as victims, even when they clearly are. That somehow, no matter how harsh, cruel, and undeserved their treatment is, they had it coming. I wonder, would the author have felt the same way were the genders reversed?

This show shoves societies hypocrisy right in its face.

HaruhiToy wrote:
You could argue that but I wouldn't. The reason is that I take the view that women's also-natural inclinations for lust are treated much more harshly in the real world than the way that men are treated.

There has never been a time when men's sexuality has been viewed as positive. It's always been seen as violent, dangerous and corrupting.

I will agree that women's natural desires tend to be more restricted. This is because for most of human history sex for a women carried great risk. This risk has, for the most part, been reduced or eliminated in modern times. It's just going to take some time for society to catch up.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
KuroiEr wrote:
That somehow, no matter how harsh, cruel, and undeserved their treatment is, they had it coming. I wonder, would the author have felt the same way were the genders reversed?

I don't think you have to wonder. What you describe is pretty much a run-of-the-mill BDSM hentai. Not only do the girls have it coming but they really like it no matter how much they scream otherwise.

The possibility that the author and the animators of Prison School not being fully aware of this is vanishingly small.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
As one who saw the manga's art style, it is a very pleasant to see that style largely retained in the animated adaptation, while most adaptations (at least those where I've seen the source material's art style) will settle for a more "similar, but generic" style.

KuroiEr wrote:
I wonder, would the author have felt the same way were the genders reversed?

To answer your query: later on in the manga, spoiler[there are some female prisoners, and they get pretty much the same treatment].
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I don't think you have to wonder. What you describe is pretty much a run-of-the-mill BDSM hentai. Not only do the girls have it coming but they really like it no matter how much they scream otherwise.

I agree that you don't have to wonder, but you also don't need to go to the extreme of BDSM hentai. The double standard is obvious even if only looking at other series aired on television.

Hameyadea wrote:
To answer your query: later on in the manga, spoiler[there are some female prisoners, and they get pretty much the same treatment].

I think he meant the author of the article, not the author of the manga. I would expect a manga author who would write something like this to be perfectly fine with doing it both ways. However, internet responses are significantly less tolerant when you flip it around. It will be interesting to see the responses if what you referred to gets animated.
iathomps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime tropes and cliches in an obvious manner are always kinda weird for me as well. I have a hard time determining when anime is just doing a cliche straight, when the anime is aware they are doing a cliche so they do it in a self-aware homage wink-wink way, when the anime is decontructing a cliche, or when they are being intentionally over the top with a cliche satirizing it.

I think this was why Kill la Kill drove me crazy. WHICH IS IT.
KuroiEr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

The possibility that the author and the animators of Prison School not being fully aware of this is vanishingly small.

I meant the author of the article. Probably should have made that clearer.

You can't really compare bdsm hentai to Prison School. One is well, hentai. The other is supposed to be a comedy. Crass and gross to be sure, but a comedy nonetheless.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
The double standard is obvious even if only looking at other series aired on television....... However, internet responses are significantly less tolerant when you flip it around

Exactly.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
My first thought coming here was "well, this show sounds like utter garbage, but at least its... artistic... garbage...?" but then I heard it was based off of a manga? In that case, then why the hell are we reviewing the show without mentioning that? Shouldn't the manga's message be the one to analyze, and see how the adaptation carried that, changed it, fulfilled it, etc

Oh well. Figures that this whole forum is just filled with "no its about the evils of misandry"... not that I expected anything else

I think this article might be underestimating how messed up anime fans are though. This probably is sexy to a lot more people than you would think because otakus~

..but yeah, artistic garbage, huh.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Oh well. Figures that this whole forum is just filled with "no its about the evils of misandry"... not that I expected anything else

You're missing the real point. The point being made is about the double standard a lot of people have, not that this show is evil because of misandry. The show itself isn't a problem.

Do horrible things to the guys and play it as a joke or for fan service. That is totally fine. It isn't like this work of fiction is seriously advocating that you treat real people like that. The problem is that the exact same argument should apply when the situation is swapped, but instead the response you will see a portion of the internet give is massively different.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

You're missing the real point. The point being made is about the double standard a lot of people have, not that this show is evil because of misandry. The show itself isn't a problem.

What the hell? You're missing the point, because I didn't say or imply that the show was a problem (in a social context, its nothing).

I'm meaning that interpreting the show as being a story about the evils of misandry is a pretty ridiculous move.
KuroiEr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
I'm meaning that interpreting the show as being a story about the evils of misandry is a pretty ridiculous move.

That would be a pretty ridiculous argument. It's a good thing I never said that. I never even said that the intent of the show was to illustrate this double standard. Merely that it does, and in the most blunt way imaginable.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

If you take a literature studies approach (where the work stands by itself), I don't see how the interpretation is invalid, problematic or fallacious. I can only see it becoming problematic when people start demanding its censorship or complaining about the portrayal of men and how it can negatively impact society - none of which is happening or will be happening (as it should).

As mentioned above, I think it's mostly to point out the rather blatant double standard. I myself cannot see the show getting the same amount of praise if the genders were flipped. No one's going to talk about how great the direction and tension is when they are up in arms over another perceived social justice issue.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

And you're clearly still missing it. No one is saying that. You're missing the point which people are trying to make which is very much not that.

Actually, the fact that no one is saying that is the entire point Kuroi was making in the first place. So if you actually do think what you said was his point, you didn't even come close to understanding his post.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
okay what the hhhh i cant understand the super sommersaults you people are trying to make in your posts, due to how meta death note style i know youre thinking what you know what i know this is so let me make things clear

what i meant is that interpreting the show as having to do with gender much at all is rather silly. yes, gender is literally a plot point, but in a social context i think the show seems to me (as someone who knows relatively little about it, mind) far too focused on its half-fetish half-sincere grossout nonsensu to perhaps be interpreted too seriously? although don't get me wrong, i fully support serious interpretations of pretty much anything. i'm just saying that if someone wanted to use this show as evidence for some kind of "see, nobody cares about the boys getting hurt" thing, they'd be choosing a bad example, because the show doesn't exactly lend itself to interpretation and will probably make people look silly.

as an aside, from what the article tells me, all the characters seem to suck, but the boys seem more realistic as characters who could exist. perverts with varying negative characteristics? its cynical as hell, but i guess it makes sense. on the other hand, i can't look at the boob lady and her compatriots without seeing them solely as an Anime Character. as terrible as anyone has the potential to be, boys (or anyone, really) doing something gross and stupid is much more probable than a bunch of girls having a Secret Grossout Torture Club. this isn't so much a criticism but an observation. but using this anime as an example is just going to make you look like youre making a hilarious "strawman", as overused as that term is...

i wasn't talking to anybody in particular when i made my original post, so theres no need to say i missed a single person's point, which is probably why im a little confused at these responses, because thats where you guys are coming from. no, i was not responding to anyone specifically. in fact that was a single line in my post that doesnt really merit people arguing at me over. because it wasn't my focus. i feel like repeating my main point: prison school is based off of a manga, and from what i've read, some people don't think the anime is a particularly good adaptation. if this article, or anyone, wants to analyze what exactly this work is supposed to be, they should be comparing it to the original story if possible.
bastek66

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
You should replace one gif with this
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm no expert, and I haven't watched Prison School, but sex, in and of itself, is filled with the tension between what is attractive, fantasy-filled, emotionally connecting, and what is downright "gross" involving bodily fluids, body parts, and sounds that wouldn't be attractive in any other circumstances. Thus, the Pavlovian response many people have to the more prurient but disgust inducing aspects of the body. And thus, this show. No?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6