• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamisama Dolls (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tribulations

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
First of all: I thought this was a very good episode. Although it might be a little early to judge, this will probably turn out to be my favorite anime of the season.
I'm also going to join forces and say that I didn't feel the "bad stuff" was all that gratuitous at all. No. It's been implied since the first ep or so that the village follows a very strict code of conduct. You follow the two families, or you're screwed. Kind of like a feudal system, as the village pretty much *is* grounded in the past. It's no wonder that Kyouhei seems to be ostracized by many of the village members due to his quitting.
As for the alliance between Aki and Kyouhei, it's most likely they were just... friends, you know? I'm also going to hold onto my assumption that spoiler[the thing that they wanted to "do" in the last part of the episode is gain control of Amaterasu, maybe explaining the "opened the gates to hell" deal. Maybe all Seki, former or current, share some sort of secret bond.]
Interesting observations about Kyouhei being immature. I'm starting to think that berserker Aki is actually a better person than he is.
As for the episode itself, I really, REALLY enjoyed it. Admittedly, the spoiler[go berserk after loved one dies] card is cliched, but I think it was played very well. It evoked a proper emotional response from me at least, and it had good development for the twenty-four-minute-something block it was allotted. Interesting character in sensei.
Also, there are chances for more Kuuko next episode. I wait with anticipation.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
tribulations,

I'm not prepared to say that Aki is a better person that Kyouhei, but I do think he's a somewhat more mature person, even if he's borderline psychotic. I'm not entirely sure how much that psychotic thing is him acting and how much of it is actual. He seems to take a certain pleasure in letting people assume the worst about him, so it's by no means certain that he was responsible for any of the murders in the city that are being laid at his feet, just as he wasn't responsible for killing the sensei (which, as far as I'm concerned, is what enraged Kyouhei; I doubt Kyouhei cared about the rest of the fatalities).

There's still a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes and in the past that we don't know about, though this episode *did* help clarify for me what Kyouhei and Aki's relationship was like in the past. I thought it was pretty amusing, looking back on it, how Aki *immediately* commented on how Hibano looked a lot like their old sensei. Not only do I think he was dead on about why Kyouhei was attracted to her, but I think he did it to show Hibano that there was a lot more to Kyouhei than he let on. Aki is a pretty perceptive guy.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
tribulations wrote:
As for the alliance between Aki and Kyouhei, it's most likely they were just... friends, you know? I'm also going to hold onto my assumption that spoiler[the thing that they wanted to "do" in the last part of the episode is gain control of Amaterasu, maybe explaining the "opened the gates to hell" deal. Maybe all Seki, former or current, share some sort of secret bond.]

If you rewatch the beginning of the first episode, you can see that there's more history between them than just sensei. There's another flashback to be told, though I'm not sure it will be. And you may very well be right about what it's a flashback of.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Right. The flashback where Hyouhei is carrying his sister and running away with what looks like some sort of energy beam unloading behind him. He and Aki probably did something after what happened to Sensei, and *that* is what made him give up being a Seki. Whatever it was, I'm pretty sure it's something he doesn't want Hibano to know about.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Right. The flashback where Hyouhei is carrying his sister and running away with what looks like some sort of energy beam unloading behind him. He and Aki probably did something after what happened to Sensei, and *that* is what made him give up being a Seki. Whatever it was, I'm pretty sure it's something he doesn't want Hibano to know about.

I think you have the timeline backwards, actually, and the flashback occurs before the sensei incident, and is what Aki is referring to when he gets his doll back. Folks definitely look younger there.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the flashback from episode 1 is probably what made spoiler[Aki] lose his doll.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
This show continues to impress beyond my expectations. Loved this episode. It painted Aki and Kyohei in a new light, showed their teacher to be a somewhat complex character, and gave you a look at the village politics which is so horribly one sided you can really see why Aki and Kyohei have a certain hatred for it and wanted out. This show is definitely up there with my favorites from this season.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
and gave you a look at the village politics which is so horribly one sided you can really see why Aki and Kyohei have a certain hatred for it and wanted out.

Actually, I don't see why. That would make Aki and Kyohei both idiots. Why would they want out of a hierarchy they were on the top of? Aki ruined his own situation by being an out-of-control psycho, and Kyohei was given status and power and refused to even try to use it to make changes to a situation they presumably didn't like.

Quote:
This show is definitely up there with my favorites from this season.

I will agree with that. There are facets and dimensions to Aki and Kyohei and I appreciate that.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio,

You're right. I do have it backwards. My bad. I still think that whatever that event was, it is something that Kyouhei wants to keep from Hibino.

HaruhiToy,

But I don't think they're really "on top". The Seki may *appear* to be on top, and maybe they are as far as most of the villagers are concerned, but what about the heads of the two main clans? I have a strong suspicion that the Seki are kept on a much shorter leash than initial appearances suggest. Don't forget the way the clan leader of the Hyuga Clan started beating on Kirio with that wooden sword when Kirio failed to capture Aki.

OTOH, there's the relationship between Kyouhei and his father. Kyouhei keeps telling his father to do something, and his father tells him to do it himself, after which Kyouhei stomps out and doesn't do anything (this happens twice: in the flashback episode and when Kyouhei arrives at the village with Hibano and his sister). I'm not sure what to make of this, and it does support your view. But I think there are other things going on there as well.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Eivion wrote:
and gave you a look at the village politics which is so horribly one sided you can really see why Aki and Kyohei have a certain hatred for it and wanted out.

Actually, I don't see why. That would make Aki and Kyohei both idiots. Why would they want out of a hierarchy they were on the top of? Aki ruined his own situation by being an out-of-control psycho, and Kyohei was given status and power and refused to even try to use it to make changes to a situation they presumably didn't like.

We don't really know the reasons for why Aki lost his position as a Seki save for rumors which could easily be bs. Kyohei was seemingly limited in what he could truly achieve due to still being a student. Its why he kept going to his father for help.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
It seems to be implied that the Seki are bound by certain rules. If I remember correctly from the latest flashback they said that spoiler[Seki could only speak to one another under certain conditions.] If that's the case there could be other rules or demands that created a conflict for the characters and that is why they wanted to leave.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I think I can sympathise with Aki now, yes he is a psycho, but a psycho I can get behind. He obviously had some messed up life, and his hatred at the people who are part of the system of the village does not seem all that misplaced. That teacher too was interesting, I like the idea of good characters with sides that would look immoral to general public.

And yes the town is effed up, the whole system gives power too people who likely do not have wisdom. And if something does not meet their rules or something that gossip network makes things worse, that might seem not that bad, but it drove Kyouhei out of the village, pushed Aki further into madness, amd obvioously had some strong effects on the teacher.
tribulations

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Kuuko in a maid outfit. That's it. It'll have to take a lot to knock it off my favorite anime of the season pillar now. Laughing
So, the past two episodes seem to have been working on character development, and that's not a bad thing. Aki confronts his ghosts from the past spoiler[although the way he plans to deal with it is very... um... Aki-ish], and Kyouhei reflects on his own immaturity. The spoiler[Kirio/Utao] conflict is pretty much resolved, and Hibino is jarred with spoiler[the way her life is being threatened and Aki putting down Utao and all.]. Oh, and a new character! I think her introduction will shed even more light on Kyouhei's story. I really appreciate the introduction of the detectives looking into the Dolls, especially with the relationship between Kuuko and her father.
I wonder how this show's going to be resolved with so few episodes left. There are a lot of loose ends to tie up.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10.

We thought Kuuko was scary? Not even a close second. This Mahiru princess that just showed up makes Aki look stable and sane by comparison. Let me tell you that gal is not safe.

This show keeps getting better and better.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
Mahiru has good reason for being a bit unhinged - in fact they all do, but I think Mahiru in particular since she basically got spoiler[mind raped].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8