• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Theron & Rebecca's Anime in America 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:12 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I expected this article to be posted on January 1st, but today works much better for me; thanks. While I don't agree with the choices for top titles, I agree with some of the criticism on mediocre titles.

These are my general observations of 2015 anime:

Best overall series: Death Parade - interesting concept, emotional payoff, Madhouse at its best
Favorite series: Blood Blockade Battlefront - fun action, powerful emotional moments, tremendous production values
Favorite character: Shirayuki - smart, brave, independent character
Best physical release: A Lull in the Sea BD PE - solid show, strong dub, good packaging, OST
Surprise: Tokyo Ghoul √A - for how unexpectedly emotional it was for me
Fall from grace: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works II - interesting stuff from part one gone, long stretches of boredom, uncomfortable fanservice
Worst series: Nisekoi: - almost no story, comedy stopped being funny, no resolution
Best production values: Blood Blockade Battlefront - great animation, interesting art style, Rie Matsumoto's superb direction, great musical score
Favorite OP: Charlotte - strong song, nice visual direction, intriguing character foreshadowing
Favorite ED: One-Punch Man - very pretty visuals, soothing sounding song

you cant be surprised by this. this version of FSN was completely faithful towards the UBW route and if you read the VN,is similar like this (excluding the ero sex scenes). though there will be people that will disagree and it will depend on your likeness of the main characters. fans of rin and archer prefer this route while fans of saber and illya prefer the fate/avalon route.

and speaking of illyasviel , i wasnt surprised that they gave the series the fall from grace category even though it was decent enough.

think about it guys, their main fanbase of the series are the otaku community & hardcore type-moon junkies. and their main mo for a magical girl series is yuri based fanservice and its been like that since nanoha. and like it or not in the japan base,the otaku community,especially those diehard type-moon fans were complaining that season 1 was more like Sasami!Magical Girls Club. zero fanservice which is why they gave them that during zwei.

sure the loli tendencies will make people cringe,but at least it didn't go down the road ala kodomo no jikan.

Also it looks like Key was right about chappin getting the dub male lead honors for harutora. though there were others that could also make the case.

of course for the female lead, it was no contest. was going for either maxwell as the new mokoto kusanagi or seph as the new usagi, but after SAO's Mother's Rosario arc, it was clear cut who should get female lead honors.

and for the biggest bastard awards, embyro definitely a bigger prick though there is sinon's "friend" kyouji.he's just nutty as a fruitcake. As for the female stance, Akira from WIXOSS is a bigger bitch than Erina and to be frank,wouldnt have been surprised if she got that honors one bit.

Last edited by jr240483 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
you can't be surprised by this. this version of FSN was completely faithful towards the UBW route and if you read the VN,is similar like this (excluding the ero sex scenes). though there will be people that will disagree and it will depend on your likeness of the main characters. fans of rin and archer prefer this route while fans of saber and illya prefer the fate/avalon route.

UBW's my favorite route, just a little above HF, and Rin and Archer are some of my favorite characters from the franchise, but I actually think UBW is the route they shine the least. Fate Rin and HF Rin are much better than UBW Rin. Archer's 'bitter teacher-like figure' fits him better than the whining of UBW, though his backstory is important for getting it. What I think really shines in UBW is Lancer and Shirou, and to a lesser extent Gilgamesh and Caster.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
you can't be surprised by this. this version of FSN was completely faithful towards the UBW route and if you read the VN,is similar like this (excluding the ero sex scenes). though there will be people that will disagree and it will depend on your likeness of the main characters. fans of rin and archer prefer this route while fans of saber and illya prefer the fate/avalon route.

UBW's my favorite route, just a little above HF, and Rin and Archer are some of my favorite characters from the franchise, but I actually think UBW is the route they shine the least. Fate Rin and HF Rin are much better than UBW Rin. Archer's 'bitter teacher-like figure' fits him better than the whining of UBW, though his backstory is important for getting it. What I think really shines in UBW is Lancer and Shirou, and to a lesser extent Gilgamesh and Caster.

which is why fans of shiro and lancer like UBW too. however its as i said. the popular routes depends on the characters you like. and its also why their are FSN fans who prefer the DEEN version since it follows the fate/avalon route as its ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
As my last post of 2015, I'll say a hearty "good article"! While the criticism was on target, I also agree with most of the picks. DanMachi gets some more love, hoping for a second season possibly a direct to anime original story? Some fans don't think the ongoing LN narrative has enough yet for a full season, unless you want to know all about Aiz (story derailure). The other series and moments mentioned make me want to look up those titles, which doesn't happen often for me. I'd say a reviewer's toughest job is not seeing/saying what people pressure them to see/say and bringing shows to light that might have been overlooked in popularity or saying unpopular thing about popular shows. This dynamic always risks critics becoming "out of touch" but this article avoided that. Way to go!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, and concerning comments about Cross Ange: Yeesh, I thought I was was prepared for all of the vitriol to come spewing out again. Oh, well; I feel the same about Prison School (probably my most hated show of the year), so it's all good.

I have personally baffled by the positive reception of Prison School. I should not talk too badly about a show I did not watch all of, but just the first episode kind of felt like torture to me, it was painful to sit through, and I got the feeling that future episodes would not be any different.

Cross Ange though I quite like, and have thought people act too harsh on it. The character growth of the main character was a big plus, from totally breaking them down and then building them up.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I have personally baffled by the positive reception of Prison School. I should not talk too badly about a show I did not watch all of, but just the first episode kind of felt like torture to me, it was painful to sit through, and I got the feeling that future episodes would not be any different.

In my opinion Prison School received a positive reaction because it is not just another brain dead ecchi show. It is actually quite clever and genuinely funny. I suggest you watching two more episodes because episode 1 does not quite reflect the series' merits.

Quote:
Cross Ange though I quite like, and have thought people act too harsh on it. The character growth of the main character was a big plus, from totally breaking them down and then building them up.

I am also one of the few that came to appreciate Cross Ange's characters and story despite its pacing issue and sexual trashiness. The first few episodes of CA were brutal in several aspects, but it became a decent show with some strong moments. I might buy it if Sentai dubs it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
In my opinion Prison School received a positive reaction because it is not just another brain dead ecchi show.

I agree with this but I would also point out that if you have a negative reaction to it that is actually a sign that it is worth watching.

While being both over-the-top melodramatic, gross, and at the same time more clever than it has any right to be, the real hidden secret to PS is that it is actually quite well acted. Not only the anime, but the live-action version of it now streaming at Funi.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
In my opinion Prison School received a positive reaction because it is not just another brain dead ecchi show.

I agree with this but I would also point out that if you have a negative reaction to it that is actually a sign that it is worth watching.

So...
If you have a positive reaction, of course you will watch it.
If you have a negative reaction to it, it means it's worth watching?

How does that work?

I haven't watched Prison School; Every time I hover my mouse over the link, I ask myself "Why?". I have certain notions about the show's idea about sexual relations, that it's an inverse misogyny because the women treat the guys so badly that they deserve whatever they get in the show itself and not just the usual audience aspect... with the added effect of making all the perverted males heroes.

I'd prefer it if it was "just another brain dead ecchi show" rather than one that has to justify itself by making the women both villainous and sex objects. I'll take clueless perverts over heroic ones every time.

But I'm just guessing.

Maybe it's just me as I lost interest in Shimoneta when that girl turned into a psycho hedonist as a source of comedy. Yes, it's "funny" how she can't control her sexual tendencies, that's she's normal most of the time until she comes into contact with the main character, thinks about the main character, sniffs his stuff...

Oh, sexual role reversal. Still doesn't make me like it. If it was a guy, it'd be a horror movie.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Great year in review article again this year.

Dungeon (DanMachi) has been high on my too watch list, but I'll have to add Amagi, Chivalry & Gate after reading this.

The ending to Overlord didn't really grab me, but I thought the intro was great.

While some of the character names in Overlord may have been bad, I think they were appropriate though considering they were supposed to be player names in an MMO.

Glad to see Seven Deadly Sins this year. I (regretfully now) avoided the manga because despite the intriguing premise, didn't care for the art style, but after watching the anime quickly got over that and am now eagerly anticipating the next season.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

If you have a positive reaction, of course you will watch it.
If you have a negative reaction to it, it means it's worth watching?

How does that work?

Glad you asked.

If you have a negative reaction it could be that the anime is just junk. Many times that will be the case. (Some would argue that this is the case most of the time) I never meant to imply otherwise.

However in this context, when the anime in question is getting continuous approbation from a lot of consistent, thoughtful, and reputable critics then that changes. In that case it is more likely you had a negative reaction because the anime challenged you in some way that made you uncomfortable. Your assumptions might be being tested, maybe your tastes are being tested. Maybe it has something to teach you. So you might benefit from watching it even if you think you know you don't like it. This is true not only of anime but any art you might be exposed to.

The above sounds pompous and pretentious. I am aware of that and don't care. It is still true.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
If you have a negative reaction it could be that the anime is just junk. Many times that will be the case. (Some would argue that this is the case most of the time) I never meant to imply otherwise.

You didn't imply it, you stated it outright: "I would also point out that if you have a negative reaction to it that is actually a sign that it is worth watching." And it doesn't matter if the art in question is critically acclaimed or not: if your reaction to it is negative, it in no way means that it's a sign you should consume that art.

I think I sort of get what you're trying to say, but what you don't seem to realize is that no art is going to teach anyone anything about anything until they're ready to receive it, and they're not ready if they're feeling negative toward it and putting up barriers against all it might have to say. For example, I hated "Dance of the Hours" in Fantasia when I saw it as a child because I thought it was demeaning to the animals portrayed. Over the next few years, I saw a bit of ballet and understood more about parody, so when I saw it again, it was hysterically funny. And I have some new and different issues with it now that a couple more decades have passed. My original negative reaction was all that was possible for me then, and forcing myself to rewatch it then wouldn't have taught me anything or educated my tastes in any way.

It also depends on what it is that you're finding objectionable and why, compared to why the critics find that same material funny (or otherwise laudable). Maybe it's the critics who have something to learn about why it's not funny or praiseworthy. Maybe it's just a difference of opinion about humor or art. But watching things you hate solely for the sake of becoming a more well-rounded person in some nebulous way is a waste of time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

However in this context, when the anime in question is getting continuous approbation from a lot of consistent, thoughtful, and reputable critics then that changes. In that case it is more likely you had a negative reaction because the anime challenged you in some way that made you uncomfortable. Your assumptions might be being tested, maybe your tastes are being tested. Maybe it has something to teach you. So you might benefit from watching it even if you think you know you don't like it. This is true not only of anime but any art you might be exposed to.

In my case I felt just kind of gross, that I felt there was no justifying what the guys were doing in planning to break the trust of the female students and invade their privacy. And there was not justifying what the female students in violating their rights. But then the show felt like it started trying to justify it by having some of the guys enjoy being tortured, or that the girls deserve being treated like sex objects because of what they are wearing.

I can watch a huge amount of ecchi shows, maybe I am having a kneejerk reaction, but they are specific problems things I know are a problem with culture and thoughts of gender. The expectation that all guys are hapless perverts who are just boys will be boys in like sneaking a look in women bathing and the like. That guys cannot be sexually or otherwise assaulted because they probably like it. And that revealing clothes or naturally large breasts means it is totally okay to hugely treat the character as some sort sexual object, like victim blaming or something. And also not okay for guys to be treated as inferior just because of their gender, not okay for that with either gender.

Those were just aspects that seemed really big in the first episode that I assume are going to continue on. The one way I see that possibly turning around for me is if they turn it all around. Make all the female character curious about the opposite sex that they peep on them, or fully bring to attention double standards about either gender. That sounds maybe smart rather than stepping over real world problems with things like recognising that men can be sexually assaulted and violated or victim blaming someone for their body.

Perhaps I am taking it too seriously, but it was what my negative reaction was, not really being challenged.
motormind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
What, no mention of Non Non Biyori or Hibike! Euphonium? Render me surprised.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Sound! Euphonium was mentioned. Twice, in fact, as Honorable Mentions.

As for NNB, I don't believe either of us watched out the first season, so the second season wasn't going to come up. Besides, for all the praise I've heard for that title, it is also very definitely a "for certain tastes only" kind of thing.

Last edited by Key on Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
@Key: Yeah, good taste Wink. Nah, joking aside, I found it a very strong comedy in its own right, and the setting is used very well for novelty (or nostalgia) angle, especially with Hotaru a fish out of water in the beginning. The atmosphere in terms of the direction, music, art are also top-tier, and the little stories like in episode 4 of each season are far more than standard "cute girls doing cute things", capturing universal microcosms of the joy and sadness in growing up.

In much the same way as I'd say Love Live! is worth a watch over something much more pedestrian like Idolmaster unless you're intolerant of the very concept of idol shows, I'd skim over a ho-hum CGDCT title like GochiUsa and recommend Non Non Biyori as just a great anime.

killjoy_the wrote:
Best Character In a Show I Didn't Like Nao Tomori. The voice acting, the design, the personality, almost everything about her is just so good. And I started the series actually disliking her, too, but she grew on me so much. I wish I'd actually liked your series, Nao.

1+. I loathed Charlotte, when it was half-decent or when it was being hilariously terrible, but damn was Nao cute.

Key wrote:
We encourage you to point out such omissions in the response thread.

I mentioned in the top anime thread, but I feel Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono Spinoff: Puru Purun Charm to Asobou has gone quite under the radar. It's my unqualified pick for comedy of the year, and the one I looked forward to the most every week. The wait for the second yurirou episode was downright painful. It's one of my top three series alongside PriPara (unsimulcast, and I've left the sloooow subs behind as well to stay up to date) and Non Non Biyori Repeat (which has been deservedly brought up a fair few people in this thread). The top two for me are One Punch Man and Owarimonogatari, even featuring a weaker half (though still good by Monogatari Series standards) than the stellar first.

Actually, if films released in the US this year count, I think Marnie would be the title of the year for me.

I could go through the list, but I think I'll just ring in on Scene of the year Shizuka reading for Lucy in Shirobako (a ray of deserved sunshine for the character who's had the least luck and most hardship, and just a beautiful moment), Renge riding by herself in Non Non Biyori Repeat (Kaede's silhouette reaching after her and then pulling back and watching her go makes me tear up just thinking about it – what a precious, perfect moment) and the entire two-episode game of yurirou in Tesagure (psychological warfare at its finest and silliest).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6